ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Network Topology suggestions.

Monaco 172
Basically ive been asked to set one up...

Have a router, with ethernet 4 ports...and a hub with 16 wired around the room.

The full 16 ports are needed for computers.

Question is...do i want all 16 on one port via a 16 port switch, or each router port using a 5 port switch each, having less traffic on each port.

Verdict?

Thanks

ValverInBits
for the extra performance you'll see out of a broadband connection, save your cash and buy one 17 or more port switch ( i take it you mean 16 machines I switch??)

Fiesta ST
Got any money to spend? do you have a data cabinet? with racks?

Router -> 24port gigabit Switch -> Patch Panel -> Cat5e Network Sockets -> done.

Fast, tidy and furture proof.

no need for separate switches - one main swtich connected to the router.

Last edited:
  Monaco 172
thats what i was asking, would there be a performance issue with all 16 computers coming through the one router port!

but form reading aorund and what you guys have said there wouldnt be. it'll only be used for browsing internet and stuff

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
There won't be any performance issues, your bottleneck is the adsl connection itself.

Monaco 172
excellent!

one more question, it appears to be a BT business broadband connection, is there a limit on the number of computers that can be attached to this? i tried looking online but couldnt find anything!

thanks!

DMS

A thirsty 172
No. It doesn't work like that. The ISP can't tell how many hosts are on your private network.
As long as the subnet you use can accomodate more than 17 hosts you'll be fine. I presume you'll end up using a basic 24 bit subnet mask, which means you can have 254 hosts on the network before having to do something a bit more complicated.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Still no limit to the number of computers that can use the internet at the same time.
Computers on your private network aren't visible to the ISP, it doesn't work like that unless you aren't performing NAT (which I doubt).