ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Outlook can't find SMTP server - WTF?

2014 Focus Titanium
Hi guys,

Recently we changed ISP from BT to Connexin at work because the distance to our BT exchange is approximately 7 billion miles so our internet was dog slow (less than 2meg for a network with 20+ systems), and the new connection is great. However, about 3 days after we stopped being able to send emails from outlook via our 1and1 SMTP server. I assumed it was a problem with the ISP so I called them and they changed our static IP.

Now I am able to send emails fine from my computer, but another person in the office still gets the same error: "Cannot find email server". I am pulling my hair out with this, we both have EXACTLY THE SAME settings (always have done) and yet I (reserved DHCP 192.168.1.13) can send emails fine, the wife (static 192.168.1.7) cannot.

Has anyone ever had anything like this before? I would normally automatically assume that it's something to do with the D-Link DSR-250N business router as one us can and one can't, but it's only happened since we changed ISP and it was fine for over a year before that!

I've been in touch with 1and1 and they have double checked our settings and still nothing.

EDIT: I've also tried changing my PC to static IP and it makes no difference.

2014 Focus Titanium
DNS settings?

Setup your DNS to used google's servers: 8.8.4.4 and 4.4.4.4,

May help.

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately this hasn't worked :(

One other thing I have just thought about is about a week before the ISP changed I installed a LogMeIn Hamachi for a VPN server on the computer which can't send emails. I've tried disabling it but it does nothing... My machine also has Hamachi installed but not as a server, as a client.

2014 Focus Titanium
Joycey, I have done telnet auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk 587 and it says it can't connect.

Here's the weird bit even though I can send emails from my PC, i also cant telnet it either!

Could you do me a favour and try to run the same command and let me know what the result is? Thanks!

EDIT: Interestingly I can get a connection to telnet smtp.1and1.com 587 from both pcs, but cannot actually use this as my SMTP server as it doesn't accept my login details.

Last edited:
Keydogg,

If I telnet to the .co.uk site I get in fine. Whats strange is you can't get to it from either pc. What happens if you try port 25?

2014 Focus Titanium
What a messing about that was! After over an hours worth of phone calls to both my ISP and 1and1 I got absolutely nowhere and was pulling my hair out.

Then I decided to try and telnet the IP for auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk (212.227.15.179) rather than the name server and it worked! Once I did that I realised it came back with the actual name server of auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk (which is weird that it's different), put that in outlook and Voila! both machines work perfectly.

Thanks for telling me that 1and1! Grr

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
So you can send emails via on pc and not the other?

If so, id check your full IP settings.
Post your ipconfig /all here for both pcs.

Also what PCs are they? Windows XP? 7 ? 8? OSX?

I would also check your Outlook settings carefully, especially the "authenticate" smtp section in servers in the More settings options.

2014 Focus Titanium
So you can send emails via on pc and not the other?

If so, id check your full IP settings.
Post your ipconfig /all here for both pcs.

Also what PCs are they? Windows XP? 7 ? 8? OSX?

I would also check your Outlook settings carefully, especially the "authenticate" smtp section in servers in the More settings options.

Thanks rct, I had checked all of this and my solution was in post #7, cheers.

2014 Focus Titanium
I don’t think it has changed as such, just that there are two name servers pointing to that ip and my ISP for what ever reason didn't agree with one of them!