ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 Cup owner....

172 Cup, Volvo V70
Hello everyone!
Well I've just put my first post under the Problems section, I hope I'm not a regular there! :rasp:

I've had my '53 reg Clio 172 Cup a few weeks now, and recently did a track day at Brands. I was coming from a Honda S2000, and a modified Elise Sport 160 prior to that, so I didn't really expect great things from the Clio. But I have been VERY suprised! What a chuckable little car!

Mines done 74K miles, so the first thing I did was replace all 4 dampers with OEM units, and put Eibach Sportline springs on, which immediately transformed the ride. I've put braided hoses on, Ferodo DS2500 front pads with Brembo Max discs. The car has Conti SportContact 3's on. The brakes are astounding, very very powerful with very little travel in the pedal, almost like there's no servo. They remind me very much of Elise brakes, and I can't compliment them more than that.

The bodywork on mine is pretty much immaculate, the steering wheel was 'melted' though, so some gentle wet-and-dry paper treatment has made it much better. I removed the clutch foot-rest which I found got in the way when doing quick foot work. I wanted to replace the gear knob, but looks like I'm stuck with it due to the lift-up reverse. I've got no other major plans for it at the moment, just to try and get in some more trackdays when I have the time. Bedford will be next, which will be very different to Brands.
That's about it for now, great forum which has already provided me with tons of advice and info. I've been a member of various forums from all the cars I've owned, and this is right up there, top stuff.

Clio 172 cup
Welcome to the club and congrats on buying the best/ fastest cheap as chips renaultsport clio of them all