ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 Owner

Hello everybody,

I am new here so please be gentle.

The wife and I have just bought a brand new 172. When we got it home I noticed a couple of minor oddities about it and I wondered if any one on here could put me straight on these things.

We used to have the slightly older shape Clio, and in the tool kit you got a screwdriver handle and two different screwdriver bits. In the new Clio, the tool kit has the appropriate space for these items, but they are missing. Do they just not include these items anymore, or are they actually missing

Secondly, and most bizarrely, there seems to be something up with the steering wheel. In order for the wheels to be pointing dead ahead, the steering wheel has to be turned slightly to the right. In addition, on all other cars I have driven the steering column locks with the steering wheel parallel and the wheels facing dead ahead. On this car though the column locks when the wheels are dead ahead and the steering wheel is again turned slightly to the right.

It seems that the steering wheel has not been attached to the steering column in the correct position. Is this possible? Or is this just a quirk of the 172.

I think all that makes sense.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks people.

Hi, good choice of car!! :)

A lot of people have had that problem with the steering wheel, it can be sorted as mine has been. I dont know about the tools Ill have I look tomorrow in the day light.

Enjoy the car!!!

Lee

BMW M2C

Hi, welcome to Cliosport

As Viv says the wheel problem is common. Mine is off to the left slightly.

Im not sure exactly when it happened but Renault stopped providing the screwdriver. I got my car new in March and I dont have one. I think it was some time in 2002 they removed them. God knows why. :confused:

Lee

When i drove my new 172 back from the garage, it too had the sterring wheel pointing to the right.

Get it sorted asap, as I had done a 200 mile trip form where i collected mine, and when i went to get the tracking done after, the tyres had started to wear already really badly on the edges...tracking was well out

320d M Sport

welcome! wat colour did u get (reds faster BTW).?

God, were getting a lot of new 172 peeps on here lately!

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 11 September 2003

welcome! wat colour did u get (reds faster BTW).?

God, were getting a lot of new 172 peeps on here lately!
No youre wrong, the black ones are 0.1 of sec faster 0-60 :D

Welcome Liftnub

Excellent choice, Im sure you will start to hear about of lots of little quirks.:D..but dont be disheartened, they are all minor and add to the fun of being a 172 owner

Paddy is right the red ones are faster !!:devilish:

Thanks guys, that has really helped me.

I will phone up the dealer tomorrow. The problem isnt serious, but becaue of the ergonomic bits on the steering wheel, you really notice that you have to hold the wheel off centre to go in a straight line.

Any other tips on what I should look out for?

One more thing, a good thing actually, my spare wheel is an alloy, not a steel spare. Did they change the spec or did I just get lucky?

Oh yes and apologys, its a silver one.

Thanks again.

Lee

BMW M2C

Spare is an alloy on Mk2s.

Look out for knocking from the front suspension towers. Its a known one that Renault will sort.

The famous 4k RPM rattle from the exhaust.

Rattling passanger seat, dash, in fact most things rattle on them. Although I do think mine is worse than most :mad:

From what Ive read and from my own car I believe they are very reliable cars, just not as well put together as they should be.

But they make up for it in other ways. I hated mine on Tuesday when I booked it on to get some work done, then I left work and saw it sat on the car park and remembered why I have it.:D

Also you want to get you club membership paid up and come along to some meets. ;)

well done lee a whole post with no mention of p**n or animals or your sexual antics ;) welcome to the club liftnub most of the faults have been listed by lee and are only minor nigles ive had my 172 just over a year (in silver the best colour, well done lad ) and its still making me smile now :D so like lee says join up and get yourself along to some meets :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Hi and welcome to cliosport..

I will not bother repeating what everyone else has said to fix your problems but I will give you a newbie poke..

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/poke.gif

ps. I think my 172 must be the only one without rattles.. 170000 miles and no rattles.. whoohoo..

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 12 September 2003

well done lee a whole post with no mention of p**n or animals or your sexual antics ;) welcome to the club liftnub most of the faults have been listed by lee and are only minor nigles ive had my 172 just over a year (in silver the best colour, well done lad ) and its still making me smile now :D so like lee says join up and get yourself along to some meets :D
Wow, you actually thought I made a worthwhile post for a change.

Sorry about the lack of p**n or animals in it, no doubt thats why SteveV6 hasnt posted in here yet.

Just had some sideways action in the car on the way to work. The school kids looked impressed anyway. :oops: That reminds me, must let them out for some fresh air later, couped up in the car all day is bad for them.:eek:

Hello again,

I have been trying to contact the dealer guy for a while, but surprisingly he is always busy doing something else. I just wondered if anyone could tell me exactly what is up with the steering, if it is this common problem.

Is it the tracking, alignment, steering wheel attached wrong?????

Thanks again for the help.

I finally spoke to the mechanic and he seemed to recognise the problem and it should be sorted at the end of this week.

However, I must apologies as I seem to keep posting about problems, but I have new one.

On all the Clio 172s I have seen there is a key lock on both the drivers and passengers door. On mine there is only a lock on the passenger door. In addition using the key in this lock only unlocks that door and doesnt deactivate the alarm.

Once again a find myself asking, is this normal? or has my car been put together differently to normal ones.

On a side note I really love the way it drives, its fantastic on twisty B roads, and its a pleasure to drive for 2 solid hours on the M1. Like everyone has said, despite these minor problems I could never hate this car.

Thanks for all your help.

Quote: Originally posted by Liftnub on 14 September 2003

On all the Clio 172s I have seen there is a key lock on both the drivers and passengers door. On mine there is only a lock on the passenger door. In addition using the key in this lock only unlocks that door and doesnt deactivate the alarm.

Once again a find myself asking, is this normal? or has my car been put together differently to normal ones.
Its normal dont worry.

Cheers Pete,

Since I am new here I was looking at the past 25 pages of posts to see what else to expect and I noticed that its standard on the 03 model. Also noticed I might have ended up with Cruise Control. Why would you want that on a 172?????????

Thanks again.

saves petrol on long journeys as the cruise will be better at keeping the car at a steady speed than any driver would be

Welcome Liftnub.

Silvers the best colour!

*ducks*

Everything youve said about yours is the same as mine, but for all its fault, its a damn great car! Plenty of fun to be had, but check the speedo, youll hit a ton before you know it:D