ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 2003 Model Clio / Micra

Just like to say hi to everyone on here. Pick up my Cup in a couple of weeks and cant wait! Been lurking on here for a few weeks and you all seem a friendly bunch.

Just been reading on the web that a new Clio is coming out in late 2003 based on the same platform as that ugly new Nissan Micra. Anyone seen any pics of it?? Be interesting to see what performance models come out.

Silver Fabia vRS

There isnt a new Clio coming out until 2005...well at least thats what my contact who works for Renault UK says. There is another smaller car coming out but the current Clio will remain until 2005.

The clio could do with the Micras reliability but not a lot else, do you think Renault will start using Nissan engines? I hope not, their reliability aside, they are all underpowered for their size.

stu

Had word from a friend via Nissan mechaninc that Nissan reliability was already beginning to suffer since Ren takeover ! (cost cutting). Could be bolocks but thats the grapevine for you !

If they can somehow harness Renault style / handling, Nissan reliability and maybe get some of the geezers who worked on the Nissan Skyline on board wed be onto a winner.

Im sure the new clio will share engines as renault own nissan. The new micra engine is very impressive (1.2) Im not sure about torque but power is 85bhp, 10bhp more than the current 16vs. I just hope the new model appeals to us..it will be interesting to see what the renault designers will come up with.

End of 2003 chaps !! How many times do I have to quote this from the Cup press release info to all dealers! "Renaultsport Cup 172 will be available as part of the clio rnage for one year from release" ie August 2003 hence new clio comes out end of 2003 - do u really think this model is gonna last another 3 years - come on its 5/6 year runs peeps! Who wants to see this shapwe clio in 2005 when we probably have fappin flying cars by then! The Cup is the last manifestation of this current clio range ............sorry to disappoint those dreamers!

I though 2005 was a bit late, considering the amount of new small cars currently out, i hope and pray its not some kind of MPV looking thing!!

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 13 January 2003

End of 2003 chaps !! How many times do I have to quote this from the Cup press release info to all dealers! "Renaultsport Cup 172 will be available as part of the clio rnage for one year from release" ie August 2003 hence new clio comes out end of 2003 - do u really think this model is gonna last another 3 years - come on its 5/6 year runs peeps! Who wants to see this shapwe clio in 2005 when we probably have fappin flying cars by then! The Cup is the last manifestation of this current clio range ............sorry to disappoint those dreamers!
In my reckoning, the current shape clio came out 2001, when I bought mine. You 5/6 year runs which would see it lasting well into 2006/7! Are you maybe getting a little confused?

it aint new though is it! Its just a revised version of the older ones. Though i hope it lasts till 2005 as it will mean my car will be worth something in a couple of years!

Is there any point having a debate about the release of the new clio?

Technically they are all just revised versions of the previous models. The current model is referred to as series 3 where as the 1998 version is series 2.

Silver Fabia vRS

Well lets put it this way Jeremy works for Renault UK...fact...and Im going with his word and what he told me at the Motorshow, and that is...2005!

The current Clio (1998 on) is a Mk2 Clio - and a Phase 2. Just like the Mk1 Clio (1991-98) had a Phase 1, 2 and 3.

The Mk1 Phase 3 Clio looked a fair bit different from the Phase 1 and 2 (e.g. bumpers, bonnet, some engines etc) - but its still a Mk1 because under the skin its more or less the same.

The Mk2, Phase 2 may have some different engines, bumpers and so on - but its still the car that hit the streets in 1998 with a few revisions. Cars like the old 306, Mondeo and 106 had pretty heavy revisions in their lifespan - but they werent the "next model"!:D

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Erm id go with Jeremy Townsend if i were you

hes in my contacts as the product manager for the clio in the uk

2005 :D roll on 220bhp 4wd clio!!

(flame suit off)

(just kidding about the 200bhp 4wd bit)

Silver Fabia vRS

Well you believe what you like but it isnt coming out until 2005. Ill say it again there is a smaller city car, more like the Micra, comig out this year but the Clio size will remain.

Could somebody please help clarify this matter.

I visited my local Renault dealer today and had my first look round a 172 Cup that he had for £11995. I fell in love with it and wanted it there and then. The only thing to disapoint me after being in Chavyboys 172 was the upholstery, though not a big deal.

The dealer then stated that the new 172 Cup that comes out the end of 2003 would have a few revisions including better upholstery, even a choice in colours had been suggested by Renault. Though vague on details he assured me a new Cup would be upon us before the year is out due to its current success.

I know weve alredy discussed this topic but id like as much info as possible before potentially purchasing a Cup. I dont want to buy one then find Renault have released a better one a short while later.

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 13 January 2003

Cupsize, looks like you may be right mate.

Im sure i saw a photo in Autocar or something last year... They said it was due 2003... Had a picture too... Looked like a Golf sized version of the Clio we have now...