ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New brakes needed

F

fletchie

Hi, I took my 182 in for its 36k service last week. I was exepcting the Aux belt to require changing as per service manual, but apparently Renault said it was in good nick and didn't need replacing. Well, that was the good news.

The bad news is that I need new brakes and for the princely sum of £240 plus VAT, they would replace the brake pads.

Needless to say, I declined their offer to replace the pads and I am now looking elsewhere. Can anybody please advise where I can get them done at a reasonable price with good service? I know somebody will say it is easy to do, but I have no idea about car mechanics and being a lass, it just doesn't appeal to me.

I live in the Black Country, but work in Birmimgham, so I would travel in either area. I have read some threads about different brands of brakes - if I were to take the car into somewhere lie Quick Fit, would I be offered a choice or would they just fit their own budget range?

I am still a relatively new clio owner of just about a year and this is the first service I've had done so please excuse my lack of knowledge. Any ideas of prices as well please? I also thought that as the pads needed doing, the discs would also need replacing, but I was told that I could go through afew sets of pads before the discs would need changing. Is this true? Many thanks in advance for any advice, Jean

F

fletchie

Re: New brakes/aux belt needed??

Aux belt to require changing as per service manual
It's in there for a reason... search on cam belt snapped etc!

Honestly, i pointed this out to them and they said they were happy enough to leave it, if in their opinion it was going to last until the next service. Its got me worried, but if Reno are saying its in good nick and doesn't need replacing should I go ahead regardless?

I don't know if it's any help, but the car has been looked after, its not raced etc etc, but I guess the Aux belt snapping isn't a reflection on how the car is driven or how its been looked after??:S

clio 182 + cup packs
it voids your warranty by not keeping to the service shedual(sp) and if it snapped taking your cam belt out then reno uk wouldnt pay up because it wasnt changed when they recomend regardless of condition

often belts show no sign of ware before they snap

172 Race Car
Changing the belt and pulleys is VERY adviseable

Belt iirc is around 18 quid but the fully kit with pulleys was around 38 when i did mine

F

fletchie

it voids your warranty by not keeping to the service shedual(sp) and if it snapped taking your cam belt out then reno uk wouldnt pay up because it wasnt changed when they recomend regardless of condition

I guess the other thing is the car is out of warranty from Feb 08 anyway which would leave Reno free of any blame. It is annoying because I can take their word in good faith (and give them my custom) but yet the servicing guide clearly states it needs changing. It doesn't make sense that they've told me this because I would have paid to have had it changed - I was expecting it!! Either they are very confident or stupid? Thanks for the advise though.

F

fletchie

I just remembered I took an extended warranty out to cover the cost of major wor when I bought the car. I'm gonna check how long I've got it for and if it covers the Aux belt. Thanks for pointing the warranty out!