ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New camera time (non-entry level!)

So looking to go beyond entry level now, and get some kit with a bit more grunt.

The budget is £850ish

So far....

Canon (all with inc getting the nifty 50!)

450D with 17-85is
500D with 17-85is
500D with 28-135is

Nikon D90 18-105 VR + nifty fifty

So whats everyone's thinking?

I need a walk around lens that will take sports shots, so ideally longer than the usual 55mm will be required - but I will invest in a telephoto down the line somewhere!

If anyone has any links to decent deals, please fire away.

Cupra
I didn't think you were a fan of the Canon range?

D90 would get my vote. It is a level above the rest IMHO.

Might be able to get a D300 with that budget now they have officially been discontinued. Thats what i would be looking for on that budget.

Ian

Focus TDCi
D90 is a different league to the 450d tbh, I wouldn't compare them side by side. Not sure about the 500d, seems like a good camera and at £500 would leave you a decent amount for a lens, but it's still the ###d range. You could get the 50d for £700 and put £150 towards a lens?

182 & Porsche 986
if i was going to upgrade i'd go for something more professional like the d300 or d300s now then would feel like more of an upgrade. I don't really know anything about canons so i'm not sure what to recommend.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
if you dont want entry level then you want the 40d/50d range rather than the 450/500d. For that price you may be lucky and be able to pick up a 5d mk1 off ebay

A silver Honda
Might be able to get a D300 with that budget now they have officially been discontinued. Thats what i would be looking for on that budget.
Me too.

D90 is a good camera but i don't see the point in it (the video mode) Just seems like a silly gimmick. For that D90 money you could get a second hand D200 or D300 possibly.

Are you buying from new? you never stated

A silver Honda
Me too.

D90 is a good camera but i don't see the point in it (the video mode) Just seems like a silly gimmick. For that D90 money you could get a second hand D200 or D300 possibly.

Are you buying from new? you never stated
I retract this statement, i'm now looking at a D90

LOL

Fiat Panda 100hp
The d90 is amazing. See the video as an extra feature, it's not like your paying extra for it. I would have a D90 over a D200 anyway, spanks it in terms of ISO performance. The D300 is a step up but a step up in price too. :)

Cheers for the comments, budget may have to be slightly altered to accommodate a prime. Gave the Canon'a 2nd chance in Jessops over the weekend but the grip on them is just pony. Plus the smooth finish of the plastic makes them feel uber cheap! So its going to be a Nikon. Which one, depends on the budget of the lenses!