ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car - best starting point

182FF with cup packs
I've just got myself my new 182 in Arctic Blue, the paintwork is in very good condition and I can't really see any swirl marks or anything like that.

As I have decided I want to keep it in tip-top condition I thought the first proper wash/polish/wax should be a full on one, and I was wondering how harsh I should be?

Not knowing whether the previous owner waxed etc the car before, should I attempt to go as far as washing it fairly harshly to strip off any pre-existing wax/sealant etc?

As the moment, I just have a selection of AutoGlym products to use on it (Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner/Super Resin Polish/Extra Gloss Protecction), but am conteplating getting a random orbital and Sonus SFX 1, 2 & 3 pads and polish.

Clay I was thinking of going for Sonus Green (as it seems that it being fine, it is likely to be more forgiving).

I'm a little unsure though when it comes to choices for sealant and/or wax. Do I just need one or both?

Any stand out choices for sealant/wax combos from anyone here? I keep reading good things about either Chemical Guys or Dodo Juice.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
If you have no real swirl marks then i wouldnt really bother getting a machine to polish the car.

Keep up a good wash routine to reduce the swirl marks inflicted. Two bucket method
Clay
Re-wash
Polish SRP
Sealant EGP
then get a wax on top of that.:)

If you have no real swirl marks then i wouldnt really bother getting a machine to polish the car.

Keep up a good wash routine to reduce the swirl marks inflicted. Two bucket method
Clay
Re-wash
Polish SRP
Sealant EGP
then get a wax on top of that.:)

This is exactly what I do. I was going to get a DA machine, but thought it wasnt worth it (YET!).

Do all of the above properly, and all will be fine! ANd your car will look the dogs!

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Hey bud, if ur sereouse about looking after your car then i would suggest purchasing a machine polisher. You cant beat the finish from a good session with the megs g220. In time no matter how careful you are with washing etc your bound to get minor defects and light scratches.

As for shapoo,i find chem guys warsh + gloss,and maxi suds 2 really good but gentle on the paintwork.

Foam gun a must,as long as u get a good foam like ph neutral or bh. Havent used these yet but heard good reviews.

Cant go wrong with collinite 476s,excellent stuff! The poorboys range is also great,polishes and nattys pastes,exp sealant too! Dont forget the wheel sealant.

dodo juice is excellent stuff too,purple haze is great on darker colours. Brings my wheels up great!

Hope this helps :)

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Hey, personally i would invest in a polisher. I have the megs g220,which is a great bit of kit. No matter how carefull you are your bound to pick up minor defects and scratches in time. Its handy to have a polisher,plus you will get such a better glossy finish than dying by hand!

You want to get a good foam gun too,bh or ph neutral snow foam. Havent used these yet,heard they are good.

I also use a tfr on the lower half of the car,making sure i get all the muck off before my wash mitt touches it!

collinite 476s wax,excellent stuff and at £15 a pot its a real bargain. Poorboys range of polishes,sealants,gloss and nattys paste waxes are good.

Dodo juice,all the waxes are brill. Lime prime,lite and need 4speed are top buys,cheap to!

shampoo,i use chem guys citrus wash + gloss, also maxi sudds 2. Great finish also gentle on the paint.

have a butchers on detailingworld.co.uk everything u need to know :)

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Hey, personally i would invest in a polisher. I have the megs g220,which is a great bit of kit. No matter how carefull you are your bound to pick up minor defects and scratches in time. Its handy to have a polisher,plus you will get such a better glossy finish than dying by hand!

You want to get a good foam gun too,bh or ph neutral snow foam. Havent used these yet,heard they are good.

I also use a tfr on the lower half of the car,making sure i get all the muck off before my wash mitt touches it!

collinite 476s wax,excellent stuff and at £15 a pot its a real bargain. Poorboys range of polishes,sealants,gloss and nattys paste waxes are good.

Dodo juice,all the waxes are brill. Lime prime,lite and need 4speed are top buys,cheap to!

shampoo,i use chem guys citrus wash + gloss, also maxi sudds 2. Great finish also gentle on the paint.

have a butchers on detailingworld.co.uk everything u need to know :)

Ph1 172 + Combo van
You can still see the swirl marks before you have clayed the car. Do clay it though as it will get rid of bonded on dirt and contaminants lol. After claying the car will probally look worse, but even polishing by hand you will be able to get rid of any marring the clay caused.

TFR is traffic film remover. Its quite industrial and it used to really strip anything from the surface. Dirt, tar, wax.:)

182FF with cup packs
TFR is traffic film remover. Its quite industrial and it used to really strip anything from the surface. Dirt, tar, wax.:)

You reckon it may be worth TFR'ing the whole car then to strip off any pre-existing wax etc? Then I'm starting from a near perfect base.

The other option is to get the first one done professionally and then do it myself from there on.

If I want to strip wax from a car pre machine polish I've always used fairy but I'm sure that will open me upto all sorts of silly comments lol

Ph1 172 + Combo van
APC will strip wax so no need to use TFR.

Claying will also strip waxes as will polishing.

In my opinion: If the car has swirl marks and you cant live with them then get a machine, some pads and some decent polish to get rid of them. If it doesnt have swirls or you arent too bothered about them then dont bother with a machine yet or any other forms of heavy cut componds or polishes to get rid of swirl marks.

Wash
Clay
Rewash
Polish
Sealant
Wax

Keep up a good wash and drying routine to reduce swirl marks, and keep the wax topped up when ever you can.:)

106 GTi
The clay will strip anything on there so no need to use anything more.

As far as getting a machine polisher, no matter how good you think it looks with an application of SRP and EGP, it will look a hell of alot better with a machine polish. Aside from how many swirls and defects it has you can not burnish paint to the same gloss and depth by hand.

You don't need a sealant and wax, but sealants alone can lack the extra looks a wax has I tend to use both, sealant base for protection and a wax for extra looks.

Atoglym Extra Gloss Protection or Werksatt Acyclic Jett topped with the wax depending on Budget.

Under 20 Quid - Victoria Concours - much better than anything Chemical Guys or Dodo Juice have to offer at a fraction of the cost especially the Dodo's.

Over 20 quid for some wax - Swissvax Onyx.

182FF with cup packs
Cool, thanks to all for the advice. :hail:

I think I'll see how it goes doing it by hand for now, see how it goes. then I'll see about a machine further down the line.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Whereabouts are you mate???

I am on Highfield
I have a G220 and don't mind helping you out....bit of a fetish I have developing lol

Steve

As another question - How often should you do each part of the wash?

ie

How often do you polish, seal, wax etc

Ive heard claying is like twice a year if that, just wondering about the others :)

106 GTi
Claying is a once a year process for me, depends on where you park the car and how much contamination it picks up, if it still feels gritty after a wash then it will need claying.

Proper polish, once a year, light polish/paint cleaner and applying sealant 2-3 times a year. Wax - well I like it so about once a month or weekly in the summer lol