ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car - First Detail - Tips?

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Hi everyone,

Picking up my new car in about 2 weeks, a brand new Cobalto Blue Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

I have told the dealer not to valet it, just to pressure wash it.

I was planning on spraying a diluted APC, hosing off, autoglym bug and tar remover (again, spray on), spray off, iron X, spray off, 2bm wash with a mild shampoo, clay with a mild clay, hose/wash again (yay or nay?) autofinesse rejuvinate, autoglym EGP or a wax/sealant.

Any of the above sound ok? Im just unsure on the level of decontamination I need to do. I personally really like EGP but open to other suggestions, want something long lasting. Would I need to SRP in between rejuvinate and EGP?

Thanks all.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Forgot to mention, this will all be by hand.

Thanks.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
That sounds fine, is rejuvenate the pre wax cleanser? I can never remember.

If it is, use a wax on top of it rather than a sealant.

And don't use srp unless there are some minor swirls/marks you need to improve.

You don't want to be using anything abrasive on a new car unless necessary.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
That sounds fine, is rejuvenate the pre wax cleanser? I can never remember.

If it is, use a wax on top of it rather than a sealant.

And don't use srp unless there are some minor swirls/marks you need to improve.

You don't want to be using anything abrasive on a new car unless necessary.

Thanks for the reply.

It is a pre-wax cleanser but it says its a 'glazed based abrasive'? Is there anything more mild I can use, or is there any point after a decontamination?

Im also hoping that if I use b&t remover and iron X I wont need to clay?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks for the reply.

It is a pre-wax cleanser but it says its a 'glazed based abrasive'? Is there anything more mild I can use, or is there any point after a decontamination?

Im also hoping that if I use b&t remover and iron X I wont need to clay?

Rejuvenate is abrasive? Need to me lol :eek:

Dodo juice lime prime lite is non abrasive afaik and people rate that. Cleansing just lays a nice clean base for the lsp, improving the longevity a bit.

Clay is to get the bits you missed and the bits the tar and iron removers didn't get. It wouldn't hurt to clay. And I'd invest in tardis or tar X over bug and tar remover.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Rejuvenate is abrasive? Need to me lol :blush:

Dodo juice lime prime lite is non abrasive afaik and people rate that. Cleansing just lays a nice clean base for the lsp, improving the longevity a bit.

Clay is to get the bits you missed and the bits the tar and iron removers didn't get. It wouldn't hurt to clay. And I'd invest in tardis or tar X over bug and tar remover.

It says it is on the blurb, a very mild one though. Im really not sure if theres much point then.

Theres a tardis 'clone' on ebay, but il look at that tar X as well, cheers. Il get a mild clay bar as Im worried about marring the paint.

After claying, if I hose it down and dry it again would that be ok to put a wax on? I was thinking collinite 476 or something that is long lasting, or EGP as I rated that highly on my GFs car and was quite easy to apply.

Thanks again for the advice, its apprieciated.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
From what I gather, people rate tar X over tardis, which is saying something as I've never felt the need to switch from tardis.

Make sure to hose and wash between tar removing and claying though, or else you'll melt your clay.

Lsp is a personal preference thing, use whichever you prefer tbh :)

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
rejuvenate is extremely mild in physical abrasives, more of a chemical cleanser

Is it worth using after a clay though? I like the idea that it gets rid of water marks etc, but I would need to purchase a hard wax instead of the EGP I was planning on using.

And @Knuckles thanks, I was planning on a thorough hose down between all stages anyway and changing mits/applicators etc as well.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You can get pre sealant cleansers too if you want to use egp

They just cleanse and lay a good base for the lsp, it will improve the life of the lsp but it's not completely necessary

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Ok,

Done some reading up and thinking of this;

APC diluted spray/dwell/hose off
Valet pro Citrus pre wash spray/dwell/hose off
Iron X spray/dwell/hose off
2bm wash with autoglym shampoo (not the one with the conditioner)
Dry
Rejuvinate < is this needed?
Collinite insulator wax or blue paste wax applied with foam applicator and spritz of QD for buffing

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Ok,

Done some reading up and thinking of this;

APC diluted spray/dwell/hose off
Valet pro Citrus pre wash spray/dwell/hose off
Iron X spray/dwell/hose off
2bm wash with autoglym shampoo (not the one with the conditioner)
Dry
Rejuvinate < is this needed?
Collinite insulator wax or blue paste wax applied with foam applicator and spritz of QD for buffing
De-tar in addition to iron x

Renault Clio DCI 65
Have you considered buying a DA or a Rotary? The results with a machine polisher will be blinding!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Do most of you dry before spraying on iron x? And then again before tar x/tardis?

My thoughts are that if the car isn't dry you are effectively diluting the product?

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Well, was a little annoyed with the dealer! They didnt clean it as I asked, but they pressure washed it and dried it with a cloth! Argh!

Ended up citrus power, iron x, bug and tar, clay mit, srp x2, sealed with x2 egp left to cure for an hour each time, rain x on glass, clean wheels and ag wheel sealant on alloys.