ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car Ford

Fiesta ST Stage 3
After selling the Nissan 350Z two weeks ago I picked up my new car and my first ford from Horsham Ford on Friday .

Its a Ford Fiesta ST-3 with a few options of rear parking sensors and style pack all in the colour Blue .

After reading about how they were very good and than having a play with one in my 350Z I made the decision to get one .

Iv only done 62 miles so far so still running the car in .

So far I love it a cracking drive and very new and up to date .

WP_20160522_12_44_21_Pro1_zpsumj7ywuf.jpg

WP_20160522_12_20_08_Pro1_zpsq49qdeoy.jpg

WP_20160522_12_46_43_Pro1_zpsogg8lv0t.jpg

WP_20160522_12_20_29_Pro1_zpsv4rtme6z.jpg

WP_20160522_12_20_17_Pro1_zpscnucspii.jpg

WP_20160522_12_54_25_Pro1_zps1mil3xsz.jpg

WP_20160522_11_10_44_Pro1_zps11of3xwz.jpg

WP_20160522_11_10_03_Pro1_zpsrho94kgc.jpg

WP_20160522_11_10_14_Pro1_zpsagzp22zn.jpg

WP_20160522_10_51_13_Pro1_zps3ei6qgui.jpg

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
I too have a new one of these mate, they handle like there on rails! Good choice with the style pack too.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Great choice, I get a semi using that gearbox, I took my cousins a good blast last week and the MP215 kit is a well worthwhile upgrade, it also needs the front splitter badly!

It's a laugh a minute motoring. He has the catback milltek which adds a bit more character.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
MP215 will be a bit later in the year .

Going to the ring in August but will rent rather than take this round I think .

Alan

Golf Mk5 GTi
Exactly the same as mine bar the MP215!

Love it, one of my fav cars I've owned, and the first car I've had I remember where I haven't been making plans for the next car I want to own. Would love a front splitter on mine but my work car park means that isn't an option for me, but think they look great.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Comical MPG!!!

Over 52k miles I've averaged 38 mpg which includes a few trackdays, MP215, MR230, and a lot of booting it everywhere.

This is driving like a nun .

Im sure it will go down when I have some fun in it but still amazing mpg for something so fun .

Alan

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Even using more revs im still finding it hard to go below 40 + MPG .

Just need to get some more miles on the clock so I can get it up in the rev range .

WP_20160524_17_45_02_Pro1_zpssqzx5wiw.jpg

Alan

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Nice car mate, still miss mine a bit. Once I get a house i'm going to get one as a daily again. They're such a brilliant car straight from the factory!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Very nice, Alan.

I've got serious misgivings about the owners around here with them though, every single one is owned by an 18/25 year old wanting to race everyone!

Fiesta ST Stage 3
So I have clocked up 220 miles so far and am only revving the car to 3000k rpm to run in the engine .

I will wait till 500 miles and then take it to 4000k rpm and then at 700 miles take it to 5000k rpm and so on .

Does this sound correct as I have never had a new engine that I have had to bed in before .

Regards

Alan

RB Clio 182
New engines are run in from factory, I wouldn't bother, bed it in properly and limit it from the off! :D

On my new cars I just change the oil/filter after 1k miles, all have had zero engine troubles.

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
So I have clocked up 220 miles so far and am only revving the car to 3000k rpm to run in the engine .

I will wait till 500 miles and then take it to 4000k rpm and then at 700 miles take it to 5000k rpm and so on .

Does this sound correct as I have never had a new engine that I have had to bed in before .

Regards

Alan
I've had my ST for 2 months from new, I too was worried whether to run it in or not. I gave it 300 miles before I was going a lot higher on the revs. Still yet too red line it though!

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
How do they do this, they assemble them on a test bed and run them for X number of hours? Seems like a lot of cost for nil gain to me.

If your car is a keeper a little prudence early on will do no harm, if anything, it makes the act of slowly winding it up that much better.
Surely it'll cost more if engines came back damaged in the long run from not being on a test rig that way they can rectify any issues that occurs.

Every product that's made at my work is put on a test rig for X amount of hours before it's sent out to customers.

A shiny black one.
How do they do this, they assemble them on a test bed and run them for X number of hours? Seems like a lot of cost for nil gain to me.

If your car is a keeper a little prudence early on will do no harm, if anything, it makes the act of slowly winding it up that much better.
I remember reading an article that the RS engines were tested, but it's not any kind of "running in". Imagine all those 1000s of engines doing a 1k mile run in with heating and cooling cycles. Never going to happen.

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
I build engines for Toyota, and I can promise you they don't get run in. We do a dry turn over where no fuel is involved and then they are shipped out to derby to built with the car.

They aren't ran until they are sitting in the car, and these are petrol and hybrid so I doubt ford would run them in as said above.

Fiesta ST
Absolutely love my ST.

Give it some beans, you won't stop grinning!

Shameless pic with a filter.
1ouv5wfl.jpg

Last edited:
  RB Clio 182
I build engines for Toyota, and I can promise you they don't get run in. We do a dry turn over where no fuel is involved and then they are shipped out to derby to built with the car.

They aren't ran until they are sitting in the car, and these are petrol and hybrid so I doubt ford would run them in as said above.

So where do all these thousands of things you can find on the net come from saying that new engines are run in at factory?

The running in is done in the car, at the factory. That's why they'll always have a few miles on them when they're delivered. Most important time for an engine is the first 25 miles. My 20vt did 20 miles on the dyno, dropped the oil and started kicking it's head in.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
There is no definitive answer as you can never run the same engine in two different ways and then compare wear, power, efficiency etc.

Do whatever you want to do. I myself, being an accountant and all, prefer a little caution.

RB Clio 182
There is no definitive answer as you can never run the same engine in two different ways and then compare wear, power, efficiency etc.

Do whatever you want to do. I myself, being an accountant and all, prefer a little caution.

It would be nice to know for future reference tho, are they run in or not, what's the secret?