ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car: life after the Clio…

Those of you on here who know me know my car history, but a quick recap…

I owned a full-fat monaco blue Clio 172 for almost 3 years – subtle mods including H&R coilovers, panel filter etc – awesome car, loved it, but mine was a “Friday afternoon car” regarding reliability. This got traded in against my 05-plate milano red Civic Type R in November last year – again a brilliant car, nicer all-round car than the Clio IMO (not trolling!) but 2 main things made me sell up: running costs, and the smaller fun-factor than the Clio. The CTR was brilliant but in some ways too competent to be driven as quickly as the Clio on the roads, and I think that’s why I didn’t find it quite as enjoyable as the Clio. Sold my CTR privately to a dealership in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, onwards and upwards – I collected my new car on Monday: SEAT Ibiza Cupra TDI. Purchased from a seatcupra.net member via Pistonheads classifieds. 55-plate, 24k miles, 158bhp @ 3750rpm, 330Nm (243lb ft) torque @ 1900rpm, 0-62 in 7.6sec, in-gear times very impressive… Very happy so far :)

Had a bit of an epic journey to collect my new car on Monday. I’m based in central Scotland but the car was in Torquay! Set off from Edinburgh airport in our hire car (VW Passat estate TDI140 with DSG gearbox – woohoo) on Monday morning, M74/M6/M5 and 7.5hrs later arrived in Torquay. Checked over car, quick coffee and chat with the seller, a quick pre-drive pee, then set off for home. Eventually rolled into the house at 4.30am on Tuesday morning. Some of the most horrendous weather I’ve ever driven through – despite the weather up here being brilliant we saw some of the flooding around Tewksbury and Gloucester, and the general driving conditions were sh*t.

But the weather again yesterday morning (after 5hrs sleep!) on the way to work was brilliant so I rattled off a few quick pics. Needs a good clean to remove the 470 miles of dirt and dead flies, and it could do with a good interior clean, but generally it’s in great condition. Very happy with it :)

Ally

2007-07-24pic1.gif

2007-07-24pic2.gif

2007-07-24pic3.gif

2007-07-24pic4.gif

2007-07-24pic5.gif

2007-07-24pic6.gif

2007-07-24pic7.gif

2007-07-24pic8.gif

2007-07-24pic9.gif

2007-07-24pic10.gif

2007-07-24pic11.gif

2007-07-24pic12.gif

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I very nearly bought the exact same colour one before I feel in love with the Trophy. How you enjoying the Toque steer LOL

Integra Type-R DC2
Jesus, thats missions distance. Nice car though, definatley worth it id imagine.

Still feeling soooo tired after the trip down to collect it on Monday - that was about 470miles each way :eek:. Worth it though as comparable Ibiza's up here were £2-2.5k more expensive: I paid significantly less than trade price for this one (and even more less than retail).

Not remapping yet, but it's good (or bad for the credit card LOL) having Star Performance only 45mins away. Still got warranty until Sept next year, possibly then? Who knows, it's damn quick already though and couldn't afford a new clutch LOL. Looking into a LCR front splitter (very subtle at the front), got floor mats on order! Did think about a set of Eibach pro's but it already sits very nicely, but I've heard then actually improve the secondary ride quality (slightly softer initially but still reduce roll in the corners).

Yeah, only 10-15mm but if it improves the handling then I'd be interested regardless :)

Only major thing is my ALY private plate will be getting added as soon as I get the V5 back from the DVLA.

Octavia VRS
Traitor!!!!!

TBH I nearly bought a 1.8T Ibiza Cupra in this colour before the CTR! Nice motors, enjoy mate

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Out of interest how did you pay? I ask as I will probably have to make a similar journe to buy my next car.

Bankers draft?

Don’t really want to pay buy cheque then have to make the journey again once it’s cleared. And don’t like the idea of carrying 10K+ in cash with me!

tiTTy & SV650
10times better than the CTR IMO, 100000 times better colour too!

enjoy, I look forward to a shot in it having been in a remapped 130 tdi it'd be interesting to see the different gearbox etc

Cash :eek:

Banker's drafts are increasingly being faked, cheques are a pain in the arse, so cash was the only real option for a private sale like mine. Best option would be electronic cash transfer but ony useful if the seller banks with the same bank as you (it's instantaneous IIRC).

Collected the cash from the bank first-thing on Monday as we set off. Car doors were locked and the bag was in contact with me for the duration LOL.

Buyer was happy to take £100 and £50 Scottish notes too ;)

Octavia VRS
if you pay a small fee (£25 iirc) you can get funds sent electronically to accounts in different banks on the same day. Has to be done before 3pm tho so that it is through the same day.

And cheers for all the comments folks, it's a complete change of scene from my previous cars (mostly high-revving petrol engines with all the power/torque at the top end) but in every regard apart from the engine/fuel it's a full-blown hot hatch. Looking forward to getting out for a proper drive sometime soon.

what car did the missus decide on mate?
Might end up with an Ibiza FR TDI 130 LOL, some good deals on 2nd hand ones. There was also a VW Polo with the 130bhp TDI engine in the car auctions last week but it went for a bit more than we expected. Definately after something similar to what I just got, but she doesn't want/need the extra power of a cupra version, just something that's reliable, fun and cheap to run but also a bit classy (she's a classy 'gal LOL).

Hanging fire until she settles in her new job at the start of August (yet to announce the revised pay grades :(). I kinda spent a bit more than I intended on my replacement so we've got less to spend on a car for her, doh!

H22A7 Accord Type R
madness..............a girl i know popped round to mine last night, and she has an Izzy Cupra too!! Only different i can see is that hers is red, and hers is petrol! Same interior stitching and everything! nice motor Ally! VTEC to Diesel though.....dont take your hand off that gear lever! lol

dont give me that pish! you are not old enough for diesel reek yet Kenny!! lol, leave it to the older generation ;)
LOL that's what I always slagged my mate with his 406 Coupe HDI about - being too young to own a diesel LOL. And now I've got one... :rasp:

didnt realise you got sunshine in scotland
Very very occasionally, got to make the best of it when it does though :cool:

H22A7 Accord Type R
Ach you are knocking on a bit now Ally? lol. Nah i can appreciate it, they are good lumps these days......but i drive one daily - my van.... so i still enjoy jumping in the Accord and ringing its neck oot on a nice evening! :D Cracking wee motor though mate, the difference in fuel bills will be great for you!

tiTTy & SV650
you'll never need to change gear in the diesel! 4th 5th 6th no difference in my mates chipped 130brake

mk4 golf gttdi180
atleast you got to drive yourself from scotland to get your car i had to go on the national express to aberdeen to get my car :dapprove: took 12 hours

nice car :) like the sports trim

total pain in the arse trying to find a car in scotland.. you have to travel for it.. i bought my clio and vx from englandshire..

like the ibiza aswell mate, nice colour.. how does it compare to the CTR?

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
That is a great price ally – bit of trek, but worth it.

Hope you like it. It does look the part in grey.

1.2 16V Dynamique
That's an awsome car dude! I've driven a Seat Ibiza Sport 1.4 16V 55 plate (lower spec than yours) and it handles RRREEEAAALLLLLLYYY well, takes corners beautifully. I like the steering wheels on them and how smoothly the gear stick flows into the gears.

Richard (scotty-rich)