ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car Tax Simplified - Prices explained

Rsport182Cup'd
Well the 2007 Budget which we were all dreading has been and gone... and though there are some good changes including a small saving on income tax and a few other bits, unfortunately once again Mr Brown has hit us motorists!

Fuel Duty
Mr Brown announced that fuel duty would go up 2p a litre in 2007 and 2008 then another 1.8p in 2009 - although this year's increase will be delayed until October!

Vehicle Tax
Meanwhile car tax is going up again for most C0/2 bands - Petrol cars between bands C - F will be £15 worse off :( while their diesel variants (band C - E) will be £5 worse off and Band F diesels will be down £10!

However the main rise in vehicle tax will be for the Band G cars which according to Mr Brown are the "gas guzzlers"! This band not includes the infamous 4x4s but also some large people carriers and estate cars. I'm afraid you Band G drivers will be going up to £300 per year then rising to £400 next year! ouch!

But the least polluting Band A cars will continue to pay no VED and the next cleanest in Band B will see their rate cut to £35 from £50 for diesels and £40 for petrol cars. Meanwhile biofuels, which Mr Brown said helped fulfil the government's obligations on renewable fuels, would have their 20p a litre duty reduction extended to 2010, with the 40p a litre reduction for biogas extended to 2012.

So to recap here's the new tax pricing for the different bands:

Band CO2 (g/km) Tax (per Year)
A <100 £0

B 101-120 £35

C 121-150 £115

D 151-165 £140

E 166-185 £165

F 186-225 £205

G >225 £300

LOOK ON YOUR LOG BOOK. IT TELLS YOU ON THERE WHAT YOUR CO2 OUTPUT IS.

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
i assume a V6 is G then LOL

car tax for an engine converted car stays the same as the original vehicle apparetly? ie you pay 1.2 16V tax, but you've got a 172 engine! LOL

I'm not that excited.

The CO2 (g/km) can differ between 172.

I know the figure on my log book is different to an identical car that is 3 months older.

Billabong Clio DCI 80
It seems crazy that a 182 is in the same band as the 225, ST, VXR etc.

Doesnt it seem more crazy that a Vee is in the same tax band as Lamborghini Murcielago. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Edit^^regarding above post, if the Vee is built after 23 march 2006.

Astra coupe
i don't have to worry about that tax.....but it sucks cause my car was built before 2001 i have to pay £175 a year yet it puts out the same emissions as a golf tdi :( i want tax for £100 a year