ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car Time - Clio 2.0 138 Dynamique S?

Clio 197
Hiya,

Time for a new car (again)...

...I've taken up more active/outdoor activities of late, therefore I'm not really interested in trackdays anymore.

I need a new car (little sis has passed her test, so I'm passing my VTS onto her).

I was particularly interested in the Clio 2.0 Dynimique S (138 ps) because I do prefer a reasonably powerful petrol engine.

Apparently they can be had for about £11k, and there's a reasonable amount of spec as std.

What are they like to drive? Anyone have anything to say about them?

ST
I've only ever sat in one at the stealers mate, was rather spec'd the one i was in tho, leather, climate, xenons, sunshine roof etc..

I reckon they'd be pretty punchy on a the motorway..prob has more torque than the 197 LOL

Clio 197
^^

6 gears - so it'll be even more economical than my current car (which sits at 4k @ 70MPH!!).

I'll go have a butchers today...

...and I'll look at suspenion options later. ;)

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
its a detuned version of the 172 engine that is it IIRC its probably nice enough to drive.

Clio 197
Not far off my 197 then...touch over 3500rpm in 6th gear FFS!!

Jeez... that's even worse (at least my excuse is that I only have 5 gears).

I don't see the point - I've hardly even got to 5th on a trackday on the 182.

(maybe I wasn't trying hard enough)

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Toyota celicas and corollas have the most pointless 6th gear every created. changing from 5th to 6th drops the revs by, how many do you think, 2000? 3000? Try 200 revs.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Would a 6-12month old 197 be a better buy? Cant see there being much in it price wise.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
ive driven a few of them, was very impressed with it, quick and handles wel, i would have one

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Good cars, but the seats are piss poor. Like being sat on a stool.

Apart from that, i really rate them.

Clio 197 F1
Good cars - its the same engine thats in the nissan qashqai, its also an aluminium
block.

Standard ride height is shocking, but lowered on 45mm springs looks sweet.

DSC_0294.jpg

Clio 197
Well the insurance, tyres and fuel cost all comee into it..

Unless i'm going to unleash its full potential, there,s no point in forking out for a 197. Plus it,ll annoy the fook out of me on the motorway!

That said, i looked at a 225 with only 30k on the clock for under eleven grand. Tempting!

My old dear has one with a few options on it, iirc she paid under 10k for it & it wasn't a year old yet. Hers is black with blue tooth, rear spoiler and folding mirrors. I've not been in it though.

Renaultsport Clio 197
Mate, sorry to mock your choice of car but don't buy it!

I had two, two because i crashed the first one.
They are nippy but the handling is terrible!! They roll like i little fishing boat in high seas.

I now have a 197 and they are COMPLETELY different cars.

Get yourself a 197 buddy, you may have to pay a bit more but believe me its worth it.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
handling isnt great but can be fixed.

decent cars for the money and good turn of pace and 35mpg or better nae hassle.

guid enough shout.

Clio 197
^^

Springs/dampers? What's the kit that would fix it?

Saw a few used 197s but I'm after a new car - I'm not into used (unless it's under 6 months old).

Clio 197 F1
I've got 45mm H&R springs on mine and its much better now.

I will admit that the standard handling is very poor.

Clio 197
^

So you're getting away with just springs? I would have thought that dampers would have needed attention too (with it being a non-sport model).

Clio 197 F1
Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying its the best handling car but does handle well for what it is.

Its never going to compare to a clio sport because it isnt one, but things in the same class e.g. fiesta ST its really good against.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
oms id get springs and dampners as its very wishy washy for what it is standard very woolly

320d
They're a good cruising car. Not so much a fun car (in standard guise) Although tbh i'd get a meggy because its a bigger more comfortable car if your into long trips and more space for your outdoor stuff or a twingo 133 if you want it for fun.

E36 328
all you people have too much money

get a williams :D

how can a 2008 2.0 only produce 138bhp when a 16 year old 1.8 produced 137?

Clio 197
could sell you a 197 cup brand new for £13495

where u from?

Somerset...

...cups are niiice (especially the original!). :)

Im interested in a new car on either:

60 month HP (full ownership)

or 36 month PCP 12k pa.

Not decided which one yet though! grr.

Clio 197
all you people have too much money

get a williams :D

how can a 2008 2.0 only produce 138bhp when a 16 year old 1.8 produced 137?

Because the ol' willy was meant to be a balls-out hot hatch... as is the 197.

The 138 isn't quite aimed at that market. IIRC, lots of grannies bought the 172/182 because it was top of the range, not because of its performance potential.

So the 138 is aimed at them I suppose (but at the same time, people aspiring to the 197 market might be tempted into a 138 - clever move from Renault IMO).

:cool:

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
It will cruise at a ton day in day out!, nukes the sports on a long haul, pulls like a train from low revs , I like ours because it looks f-ck all will pull and easy indicated 135/128 on the tomtom , ours has got better and better as the miles have gone on, shes on 26k now. cheap as chips to run.