ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car ""Wankel Content.....""

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
It's beautiful mate.... But how are you going to get a coffin in it? Roof racks?

Also, the maintenance costs will be huge, but when you're paying pennies for insurance....

maintenance isnt much... new mineral oil every 3k miles (bout 10-12 quid for 5l) oil filter (3 quid) new plugs every 12k miles (40-50 quid for ngk 9's) and fuel... apart from that all you need is brakes and tyres...

that blue one is nice but way over priced! will be laggy as f**k with that turbo on just an extended street port! plus the d2 8 pot brakes are s**t! the stock 4 pots are better.

if i was buying one now i would look at the white ex odula demo car on fduk stupid spec for 6k! could break it and make 8k on parts!

or if you wanted to go nuts this is 14k
P1030930.jpg

650bhp at the wheels, 180mph proven performance and power! its straight up mental, full bridge port, t51rkai turbo, hello 8mpg on a sensible drive but it beats r35 gtr's without thinking about it! its also one of the best sorted handling cars in the uk!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

the above car... listen to the noise!

Last edited by a moderator:
  BMW 330d :)

the above car... listen to the noise!

Not getting the power down FTL... He would prob be faster with 400bhp then he would at least get some traction and not have huge lag...

If i was going to get an rx7 I'd buy a shell and put a v8 engine in it... Then you get all the looks with none of the fragility...

Last edited by a moderator:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
v8 in a rx7 is like having sex with your mother... its not cool or a good idea.

v8 in a rx7 is like having sex with your mother... its not cool or a good idea.

Whys that? More reliable, more power out the box, more torque, no real difference in handling, better mpg?

I think after the first engine went after 20k miles and it cost more than the car was worth to rebuild then I'd do the clever thing and put a V8 in it.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
because the rotary engine is the soul of a rx7, i have driven a v8 rx7 and they are fun but its not the same car! and better mpg you on smack lol?? just as bad as a 13b!

point of an rx7 when driven hard is to be on the edge of the power band all the time, a looked after 13b will be reliable! torque is easy to get on a rx7 just people dont know how to in the uk! just like people in the uk say you shouldnt run over 1.4bar on a 13b yet people in japan and oz are running essentially the same engines in oz and chucking 2bar plus through them lol!

plus the sound a rotary gives s***s all over a v8!

because the rotary engine is the soul of a rx7, i have driven a v8 rx7 and they are fun but its not the same car! and better mpg you on smack lol?? just as bad as a 13b!

point of an rx7 when driven hard is to be on the edge of the power band all the time, a looked after 13b will be reliable! torque is easy to get on a rx7 just people dont know how to in the uk! just like people in the uk say you shouldnt run over 1.4bar on a 13b yet people in japan and oz are running essentially the same engines in oz and chucking 2bar plus through them lol!

plus the sound a rotary gives s***s all over a v8!

No mate I think you are the one on smack... Have a read of the V8 rx7 forums and they all say they get better mpg on the ls motors and don't have to check the oil every time they fill the car up with fuel. The V8 has far more flexibility than the std rx7, and although the rotary has a nice noise that's no reason to spend more than the cars worth everytime you need a rebuild...

The rotary engine was a nice idea in theory but in practice no ta... Theres also a reason why Rx7's are worth considerably less than the Gtrs and Supras of the same age... The engine!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol a stock v8 yeh, but charge it or put new cams etc in it and hello 12mpg!

i have an rx7 i dont have to check my oil every time i drive it, infact i dont need to check it in the 3k miles between changes!

a rebuild costs 800 in parts thats new seals, tips, bearings, oil pump... a full rebuild... i know of 500+ bhp cars with rebuilds that are going for £10k+ if i provide parts i can get the engine rebuilt by one of the best builders in the uk for 300 quid so can anyone else... so 1100 on a rebuild is hardly worth more than the car! and to put a v8 in a rx7 plus the gearbox and all the subframe mods you need even on the cheap for say an ls1 costs 8-10k! and thats stock power!!! for 8k you could go stupid and go bridge port full rebuild, new turbo, intercooler, fueling settup, ecu, water injection, twin plate clutch and have 500-600 bhp! if treated right it will run at that for a good 50+k miles! oh and it will rev to 9000rpm £10k will see you with billet rotors and a 1 piece shaft and it will rev past 12k rpm...

10k will get you a tripple rotor....

i KNOW people with v8 rx7's and with anything over stock power mpg is just as bad as a rotary, the rotary isnt just a nice idea in theory lol, the fastest street legal rwd car in the uk is a rx7 running 9.96 quarters! thats running a rotary and is used day in day out! the ls engines are nice they are lazy as f**k and dont belong in a rx7 simple... if you drive a rx7 with a rotary then get in a rx7 with a v8 and drive it, the v8 is no where near as much fun!

there are always people on the rotary clubs trying to swap skylines and supras for rx7's i know people who have gone from massive power supras and skylines and gone to a rx7 and they say there is no way they would ever go back!

I can see where you are coming from with wanting to keep the original engine in the rx7 but you are not honestly saying that the rotary is more reliable than the LS are u?! And if you want to get it done by a company the rebuild will cost more than the car. Not everyone wants to take their engines out every 20k miles and rebuild them. You may have to buy more parts to fit the v8 but you won't need to replace it again in two years unlike the rotary. The LS engines can do mega mileage with only an oil and plug change. There's no way you can say that about the wankel....

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
erm you can rebuild the rotarty through a company for the price i said... there are companies that will come pick up your car take it away, rebuild it and deliver it back for 1500 quid lol!

if a rotary lump is looked after it is reliable! not argument about it there are rotaries over 100k miles!! oil changes good service and running premix will solve most of the issues... good heat management is the key!

the ls engines have their place... a rx7 is not the place.

Disastra Coupe
After watching that video, i can honestly say i'd rather listen to a v8. Not taking anything away from the car, sounds rather beasty. But i just prefer a real grunty, devil-like sound.

Hence me liking my v-twin bike's aswell. I'd rather listen to my Ducati over my Uncle's Gixer any day.

erm you can rebuild the rotarty through a company for the price i said... there are companies that will come pick up your car take it away, rebuild it and deliver it back for 1500 quid lol!

if a rotary lump is looked after it is reliable! not argument about it there are rotaries over 100k miles!! oil changes good service and running premix will solve most of the issues... good heat management is the key!

the ls engines have their place... a rx7 is not the place.

You still didn't answer my question. Your saying that a rotary is as reliable as an ls motor????!!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
every day if cared for and ran propperly yes! i know people who use them daily as did i for a long time, only reason i dont now is due to bad weather and winter.... i have friends that use them daily, infact a friend of mine is in afgan atm and his wife is using it daily, they have no issues with reliability.

Mate that isn't true and you know it. People have looked after their rotaries religiously and they still end up in a pile of bits. If the engine was so reliable so many of them wouldnt be getting converted. I can see that you are defensive over the car you own and rightly so, but you need to look at the hard facts.

The point as you have made that as long as they are looked after every day then they are more reliable. But with the ls's you can give them absolute death for years and as long as they have an oil change and new plugs they keep on going...

I think that is the main reason behind the large amount getting converted to V8's. As well as the low down torque.

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
dude, i know people who use them daily, the reason they go is down to detonation, sort out the issues that cause det and you dont have issues! i live with mine day in day out, run water injection, run ignition amp, run good fuel settup, and a good map, there is nothing to go wrong! im sorry but its just like people saying renault 5 gtt's are unreliable... do things right there is no issue!

as for so many getting converted... there is probably 10-15 in the uk with v8 engines... maybe a few more, there are a hell of alot more that are running rotaries lol and getting rebuilt in the uk and you're comment that to rebuild the rotary costs more than the cold is bs tbh :p

Yeah but you don't need to worry about det with the Ls's and that's my point... You just get in and drive them and that's it.

I don't think we will agree on this point so i'll stop taking up this poor guys thread.

I love the looks of the Rx7, always have and would buy one, but I would be completely paranoid about the engine to grenading itself.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
dude, i know people who use them daily, the reason they go is down to detonation, sort out the issues that cause det and you dont have issues! i live with mine day in day out, run water injection, run ignition amp, run good fuel settup, and a good map, there is nothing to go wrong! im sorry but its just like people saying renault 5 gtt's are unreliable... do things right there is no issue!

as for so many getting converted... there is probably 10-15 in the uk with v8 engines... maybe a few more, there are a hell of alot more that are running rotaries lol and getting rebuilt in the uk and you're comment that to rebuild the rotary costs more than the cold is bs tbh :p

How much of your engine is standard? Infact, how many rotary's are there out there that are still in the same state as when they left the factory? I mean not rebuilt and have just survived as per the Mazda servicing requirements?? I'm not a gambling man but i'd bet a pretty penny theres not a lot left, if any!!

How Many LS V8's are still going strong and are EXACTLY the same engine/components as the day they left the factory?

How much of your engine is standard? Infact, how many rotary's are there out there that are still in the same state as when they left the factory? I mean not rebuilt and have just survived as per the Mazda servicing requirements?? I'm not a gambling man but i'd bet a pretty penny theres not a lot left, if any!!

How Many LS V8's are still going strong and are EXACTLY the same engine/components as the day they left the factory?

Daniel its ok I know he owns one so will be defensive about it. But to claim a std rotary is as reliable as a std ls1/ls2 V8 in my view is madness.

Anyway every1 is entitled to their opinions... :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

my engine is running factory made mazda housings, rotors, bearings, oil pump, plates, e shaft... infact the only aftermarket parts on the engine is clutch, pulleys, manifold and turbo...

unless an ls engine is stock... it will be running aftermarket cams, headers, springs, rockers, etc...

on a rotary to get big power out of it all you have to change is turbo, fueling and ecu even then you can get 400bhp out of the stock twin turbo's with a good map and injectors

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
it might be madness in your mind but there are stock factory fb rx7's running a 12a rotary that are on 180k miles! pretty sure even near that number of miles on a ls v8 they are getting ropey!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
erm my engine and internals are stock factory finish apart from the ports on the engine which have been enlarged... and a different mani and turbo and bigger injectors... the rest is off the shelf parts from mazda... i have the mazda recipts so its stock... its not like a piston engine where you can stick different pistons or rods in... its stock lol...

the only non stock parts are injectors, fuel rail, pulleys, mani and turbo.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I love the sound of a v8 but im with mal on this, The RX7 should have the rotary, end of... :star:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I aint no fanboy, it just irritates me when people put engines out of other cars in cars they dont belong in (not sure if that makes sence, its 1am and im nakerd but going out at 1:30..) no idea why it does but it does...

But for example...

V8 in the RX7
Red Top in the corsa
etc etc

:dapprove:

I aint no fanboy, it just irritates me when people put engines out of other cars in cars they dont belong in (not sure if that makes sence, its 1am and im nakerd but going out at 1:30..) no idea why it does but it does...

But for example...

V8 in the RX7
Red Top in the corsa
etc etc

:dapprove:

But people have lots of gd reasons for putting other engines in a car....

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
But people have lots of gd reasons for putting other engines in a car....

True... Iv no idea why it irritates me tbh, just one of those things i guess.. Anyway il stop clogging the guys thread up with pointless junk...

Car looks good mate!

can see both sides of the argument, but taking the rotary out of the rx surely takes away what the car is.

an enthusiast will have no gripes with running the engine properly and maintaining it, tbh its part of fun. makes the car feel more alive that you have look after it instead of jump in and drive

thats my 2 cents and why i bought one.....