ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new cars 1st ’work-out’

H22A7 Accord Type R

well, 60mm, 17s, crap tyres (in the rain anyway), brembo discs and green stuff pads, and one of my favourite back roads (the bumpy bit has just been re-surfaced too)............i didnt know what to expect, especially compared to my better suited old clio, 40mm drop on 15s with good tyres.....

Outcome, not too shabby, still too bouncy, and its not very forgiving should the road turn nasty, i hit a hump / jump and for a split second, i was rather worried what wud happen, the arse end went light, then settled waaaaay down, with a little rub from the back tyres. It does corner flat, but, it just scares me a little too much, i dont trust it, so, i am sorry to say guys, the whole apex kit will be getting fitted, including the 40mm springs (yes, i am making the car higher) I am off up to Skye in october too, for a holiday and blast up the roads up the north of Scotland, so i think the apex setup is going to be a better bet to keep me on the road.........i know i will get called gay by the low guys, but, its my car and my preference is the driveability :oops:

The 205 federals done ok in the dry, plenty grip, just not too much feel, but this could be hindered by the 60mm drop / tracking. Now for the Brembo / EBD brakes............i was pretty un-impressed!!!! I done a big stop, and it fels really cack!! standard brakes were better! then, after this mega slow down, i had a nice whiff of brake abuse, followed by sh*te brakes - brake fade? I parked up, and my wheels were hooooot!!! and the brembo disks were a kinda Gas Blue colour hehe, cool!! Now, after this............fookin ell they worked!!! i dunno if i just removed a layer of sh*te from the disks n pads, but they were amazing after that! Everyday use, they aint all that great i dont think, but when made to work, they are a bit better than the standard brakes. They felt very sharp and positive once i had cooked them. I didnt do any more extra long braking so couldnt check for fade again.

All in all, it was pretty good fun! i loved that road in the old car, and it was a good laugh in the new one, just not as involving, and slightly more on edge.......apex suspension kit to follow :D (better tyres once i get some cash saved too lol)

Rob - thanks for listenin guys

H22A7 Accord Type R

60mm looks the biz mate, its just not suited to what i want the car to do thats all

Yea, 60mm does look nice.. but if its handling not how you like it, its pointless.. good luck with the 40mm!

Quote: Originally posted by R3OBC on 29 July 2004

60mm looks the biz mate, its just not suited to what i want the car to do thats all
What do you want the car to do ? handle better?

H22A7 Accord Type R

drive in a way that suits my driving abilities, i aint no racing driver, id rather have a bit of roll / feedback before the grip goes and the hedge / wall gets nearer.........i used to play with my old one all the time getting the back end out, it gave the driver confidence, this one gives me fear on the roads i love the most :) just too stiff and bouncy for a guy of my limited driving talents, hard to explain, the key word, i guess, would be progressive handling

17s probably make it a bit different too.. and can do what you explain above! (Well, they can on Mk1 Clios!)

So you cant feel the road as much then?
On your 15"s and -40mm you could tell better when you was reaching that point of no return?
Because the drop on mine has made my car grip the road better and I can take corners at faster speeds, but if you cant tell when your going to lose it that pretty scary eh?
Sorry if im talking sh*t, but Ive only been driving a year and I dont know f**k all!
Wish my Dad was here, he was a mechanic! (RIP)

H22A7 Accord Type R

its really hard to explain, its all about what you feel through the wheel if you ask me, yea, lowered more on wider tyres will give u more grip, and more speed, but then you will be going faster, have less time to react if anything happens, and more likely to spin, its all down to driver talent too. I just liked the progressive feel of the old one on 15s with the subtle drop.

Daz, the 17s will have an effect on it i am sure, but once i get better tyres on them, and the new suspension setup, surely it will help as the car will be on the road more of the time, rather than bouncing over it? its a gamble, i will keep the 60mm springs should it still not be right, but once tracked and apexd, i think it will be a different car :)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I think youve convinced me to go to just 40mm Rob, like you I love the handling and feel of the car and dont want to ruin it. Not bothered about looks and cant afford coilovers to 40mm itll be when I have the cash.

H22A7 Accord Type R

i cant fault the apex springs mate, comfy, yet stiffen up when u throw it about, be interesting to see how they are with the apex shocks too :) yes it will look higher............probably like a sports hatch rather than a lowwwww clio

ive seen 60mm drop and 40mm drop side by side and there isnt no 20mm difference. Rob come look at mine and andys. Hes on 60mm and im on 40mm and you can bearly see a difference. Im driveing up to the outer hebrides either next week or the following week and im looking forward to the roads too.

Couldnt really comment on the handling aspect but visualy there is little difference

H22A7 Accord Type R

ahhhhhhhhh stranger!!! long time no see! what springs u running buddy? id say mine is a pretty low 60mm, as the springs are well settled. I cud do with a look at yours, as u have 17s also :)............heavier engine to weight the front down more too tho hehe, got some pics on here Rob???

looks like you found my pic. Did you flash me the other day in your van rob? Cant remember what springs i have on. I no they came from halfords and where on the dear side of springs if that helps

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Quote: Originally posted by 1.6 16v on 30 July 2004

looks like you found my pic. Did you flash me the other day in your van rob? Cant remember what springs i have on. I no they came from halfords and where on the dear side of springs if that helps
Most things from Halfords are, didnt even use them much when I had staff discount. Was it Apex you had on the silver clio Rob?

H22A7 Accord Type R

yeah apex springs, ive got the full kit on order for this one :) never had a full kit b4 heheh!! looking forward to getting it all sorted out.

Rob, i dont think ive seen u for ages.........maybe my workmate, but dunno if he wud flash ya, our van has meshed front bumper, alloys and a jap style exhaust lol! serious! Peugeot Partner, 53 reg