ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Cat vs SH Cat

So I'm deciding to put a cat back on my 182, so deciding what cat I should be looking at

Do I just get an OEM secondhand one?

Or get a new one off eBay like this : http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=130626847278&globalID=EBAY-GB

Or any other suggestions I should look at? Just need to quieten down my 2.25" straight through system haha

Also, anyone know what size the outlet is on a standard cat? (End which joins the mid section)

Mine will have to fit on a 2.25" mid section, so wondering if I'll need to change it to suit, but I'm half tempted to do that sleeved cat mod anyway

Thanks all!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
If it's just to quieten it down, why not have another box added to the system? most exhaust places should be able to weld in a new box for you for a relatively small fee.

However - come MOT time you might struggle unless you know a friendly tester (they are few and far between these days - and rightly so)

I can get the cat work done myself, have access to a car ramp and a mates a decent welder so it's just the cost of the cat and materials

I do know a couple of 'friendly' MOT testers, but my thinking was I can make it quieter and MOT friendly at the same time....kill 2 birds with one stone

Also if I ever wanted to put the decat back on I could easily enough, so I've always got the choice!

I don't have a centre section as such, just a straight 2.25" pipe from the decat (currently) to the backbox with no joins, so it would be a case of cutting that up to fit a mid section

Here's a photo of the current system :
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The exhaust is sagging abit too, but I'm not sure if this exhaust used the standard mounts?

I'll try get some better photos of the backbox and see

the cat doesn't hang off any mounts, best bet would be to get a cheap used one off here and have flanged welded on your system. No benefit decating these, may as well make it easier at mot time by having one, and it will quieten your system

the cat doesn't hang off any mounts, best bet would be to get a cheap used one off here and have flanged welded on your system. No benefit decating these, may as well make it easier at mot time by having one, and it will quieten your system
Sorry I should of made it clearer - I meant the backbox is sagging a little low, so the backbox mounts

I'll agree with you on that one, you might get an extra 1-2bhp but hardly with it for the MOT hassle

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
buy the new one, at least you know the condition of it.

On the decat side of things - yes, on N/A you're unlikely to gain much. I'm running a bigger downpipe and decat but it really helps on a turbo'd car. Plus it only takes 15 minutes to swap it come MOT time on my car - the only downside is that it's obvious if behind my car - it stinks (but in a nice smell kind of way)

Thanks for that, looks like new it is!

If I do this as I want, Cat with a sleeve, this will be changeable too, and only 10-15 minutes like yours, so if I ever want to be a hooligan I've got the option haha