ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New clio 172 owner a few questions

I have just brought a sliver 172 on a 2003 03 plate i have a few questions i am also new to the site.

1. The car has got 32000 miles on it when should the timing belt be changed

2. When i brought the car (today) it had brand new fox sport 17 inch multi spoke alloys fitted to it what pressure PSI should the tyres be

3. The leather gear stick leather seems to be broken near bottom where it clips on to the plastic of the car has any one got any experience of repairing it or where to get a replacement as it dont seem to clip in place

4. The drivers side wing mirror is a bit loose on the joint that folds back and forth to the car can this be fixed can the mirror be taken apart or is a new mirror needed

Thanks guys

BMW M135i
I have just brought a sliver 172 on a 2003 03 plate i have a few questions i am also new to the site.

1. The car has got 32000 miles on it when should the timing belt be changed
Should have been done or needs doing now. Its 5yrs/72k.

2. When i brought the car (today) it had brand new fox sport 17 inch multi spoke alloys fitted to it what pressure PSI should the tyres be
Pass on 17s, I run 33/30psi Front/Rear

3. The leather gear stick leather seems to be broken near bottom where it clips on to the plastic of the car has any one got any experience of repairing it or where to get a replacement as it dont seem to clip in place
New ones from renault are only about £7 so not worth repairing.

4. The drivers side wing mirror is a bit loose on the joint that folds back and forth to the car can this be fixed can the mirror be taken apart or is a new mirror needed
Pass on that one, would probably need to have a look at whats wrong. Haven't seen any that tend to do it to know what it might be.

Thanks guys

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Where did you bring it to ;)

Cambelt is 5 years or 72k, Aux belt is 36k or 3 years.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Orginal service book is wrong renault changed it.

P.S hope i'm not completely wrong here.

Ok guys thanks, What about petrol i have just been reading in the handbook and it says 98RN petrol for the 2.0 172 and 98 or 95 for the smaller petrol engine,

Just had a check in the service book that came with my july 2003 172 and it says 36000 or every 5 years for timing & aux belt,

When did they change it,

Orginal service book is wrong renault changed it.

P.S hope i'm not completely wrong here.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Not sure but there is tons of threads on here saying aux is 36k or 3 years and cambelt is 72k or 5 years. Aux belt is not that expensive to replace.

BMW M135i
Aux belt used to be 72k or 5yrs with the cambelt but they changed it to 36k as they kept snapping, but the time interval is still 5yrs.

Scirocco GT 210
Ok guys thanks, What about petrol i have just been reading in the handbook and it says 98RN petrol for the 2.0 172 and 98 or 95 for the smaller petrol engine,

It says it recommends 98 RON for the 172, it'll run perfectly fine on 95 RON. It's completely up to you which fuel you decide to use.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Tyre pressure im sure is 36 psi recommended, it should tell you on the tyre wall what it is.

Id loose the 17s mate they will play havoc with the rear bearings

The wheels where on it when i brought it, I will have to keep a eye out for 16 inch clio sport alloys how many different types of clio sport alloys are is there 1 set for the 172 different for the 172 cup then a set for the trophy or is the trophy a 182,

Tyre pressure im sure is 36 psi recommended, it should tell you on the tyre wall what it is.

Id loose the 17s mate they will play havoc with the rear bearings

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
aux belt is 36k or 5 yrs reno havent changed it. cambelt needs doing now.
gear gaitor required and i would run 33psi 31 psi rear. new mirror required i expect

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
aux belt is around £180- £300 depending where you go
cam belt is around £250 - £400 as above

Just to let you guys know i contacted the old owner via the garage and he said he has the belts done at 29000:) he says he will post me the paper work to confirm it:)

Also i fixed the mirror yesterday i just pulled the front colour coded bit of the mirror and tighten up the screw.

And as for the petrol i am running it on super now it seems a lot smother and i am getting better MPG as well:)

02 172 pre ESP Monaco(13)
If you get a screw and drill it into the plastic bit where the clip broke it'll work, did that to mine and it fits perfectly and is unlikely to break again, although you'd also have a hard time removing it if you needed to I would think, saves £7 and the multiple £7's after that one. Mine broke changing into second when it was under no strain, typical renault part.