ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio problems

Been reading the forums a bit there and seem there seems to be an awful lot of niggly problems with new fast clios.

Ive been offered a brand new unregistered 182 cup in blue from the dealers showroom for £11500, and as its the only car ive driven of late thats as good as if not better than my 306 rallye to drive im seriously tempted.

There are a few thiungs putting me off the clio like the driving postion/seat height, interior look/quality and i wasnt keen on the 182 alloys at first, but in anthracite theyre sweet. The girls mum and dad also have a far-too similar 1.2. But the most off putting thing has been the reliability issues ive read of here - ive had pugs for the last 4 years and bar a failed gearbox mount on my 106 rallye, have had no problems, esp with the current 306.

So are the problems endemic and the rule rather than the exeption?

Lee

BMW M2C

I didnt have any major issues with my 172 and have yet to have any with my 182 and its had a hard start to its life what with Spa and the Nurburgring. They have both had there share of niggly problems but they are easily sorted under warranty.

I know how good the 306 is as I had a GTi-6 myself 5 years ago. The 182 with Cup pack is the only car Ive driven which feels similar, although I still feel the Pug had slightly better handling, if not so easy to drive hard.

The seating position in the Clio takes a little getting used to but now Im 100% happy with it.

If you dont like the interior look at a Full 182 with the Cup packs, that way you get leather and alcantara seats, plus xenon headlamps, auto wipers etc. Obviously this will cost a bit more. Although compared to the Rallye the 182 Cup is well specced.

If you are looking for a new car, and want something similar to the Pug then there isnt really anything else out there.

With the 182 you will get rattles, the engine mounts will most likely need adjusting and the centre section of the exhaust will most likely give up life in a very short space of time, but other than that I cant speak highly enough of mine.

Lee

Have you read the Renault are gash thread, i think youll get a more balanced view.
Also what else are you thinking of in same price range?
Have you tried on other forums to see what probs they have.

megane coupe F7R

They should have a clio tech forum on here. Theres loads of topics where people are moaning about whats wrong with there 172/182. They cant be that well put together really . They are French though. lol

Havent driven anything else id want to but in the same price range, so thats not an issue, its a 306 vs clio issue. Have driven DC2 ITR, CTR, Megane 225 (really liked it and very fast but just too boring/isolated to drive), scooby RB5, looked at a new shape A3, gti 180 (for the sake of it really, wouldnt want one at all) and a few S1 elises (finding a non HPI listed car with the right options is nigh-on impossible and now that its winter....) Nothings given mne the same thrill as the 306 bar the clio and at that money its a steal - would rather have a cup for 11.5K than the full fat 182 for £4k more.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

When you say a Cup rather than full fat im assuming you mean 182 Cup ?

Sodding heck its not £4k more for a full fat one !!!

Clio 197

Woody...

I had a trouble free 182 for 12000 miles before being enticed into a Megane 225 (which was a bit troublesome initially)....

Im going back to a 182 based on Grin Factor and Running Costs.

Aye fair dos but its still more, the cup is more in keeping with my ethos, and the interior issues were more to do with the dash - cant see the seats when your on them;)

Forgot to mention i know the service manager at the local dealers and another one of their office staff from the local car club, so maybe theres a better chance of me getting decent service?

Lee

BMW M2C

Funny you should mention the Hondas mate. I felt exactly the same. I thought the CTR would be the natural successor to the GTi-6 in my mind, but when I drove it I felt it was too clinical in its execution, fast and capable but didnt make me grin (and my misses hated it). The 172 pushed all the right buttons and was great, but now the 182 is the closest Ive got to what the Pug did for me.

If you have a mate at a Renault dealer you can get a Friends and Family discount. Its currently 18% on the 182. I was very lucky and got 30% off mine.

RB182cup&golf gti

the cup is a good choice mate, it might not have the nice(r) seats, xenons and climate but then it has all the things you need - elec windows, heated mirrors, air-con, rcl, cruise control, remote controls for cd player etc, but more importantly it is an awesome motor to drive

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Even more awsome with xenon lit roads at night,climate controlled interior and leather/alacantra seats to sit your arse on ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 21 December 2004
Even more awsome with xenon lit roads at night,climate controlled interior and leather/alacantra seats to sit your arse on ;)

chortle :D

Quote: Originally posted by stu8v on 21 December 2004
Buy a CTR and you will not look back.

lol, its not that clear cut. Both good solutions but they deliver in different ways, ive driven both extensively and think both are great cars.

As has been said 182 v 182cup only about 1k diff.
As for it looking too much like a 1.2, to the untrained eye, thats one of the things i like most about it.
Doesnt attract too much unwanted attention, but will surprise drivers of other, far more expensive marques.
If its looks your after maybe you should be looking elsewhere.
You will also find lots of ppl who have had NO serious probs with theirs.