ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio Trophy

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Thinking of one as a daily. Ticks the boxes of being a semi auto with usual refinements like climate, auto lights wipers etc, heated leathers, great handling and compliance, 5 doors, spacious for its segment, sounds good.

Anything inherently wrong with them? The gearbox is a Getrag unit and the Nissan engine is problem free afaik.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The only thing putting me off the cup s is tax, mpg, tyres, brakes and only 3 doors. As a daily it's not ideal for me. The Clio is cheaper to run and 5 doors makes it wife and kids friendly!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Can't beat a Trophy........:wink:

Seriously though, they look great mate, just need to be about 30-40mm lower than they leave the factory!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I absolutely love my 200 EDC. Wanted a trophy but when I was looking at the used prices of the normal models I couldn't bring myself to pay for a brand new one.

I've done 3k in mine so far and its absolutely superb. I love it! The gearbox can be a little daft in full auto mode but 95% it behaves perfectly fine. Apparently the trophy is even better gearbox wise with new actuators and better software but its still a little daft in full auto mode speaking to a couple of people who have compared them. I'm hoping to get the 220 box software put on mine.

I've just fitted cooksports to mine to take the edge off the arch gap and it sits perfectly now.

If you want to know anything else just ask and i'd be happy to help.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Personally, I can't see what they offer over a lightly used golf gti. Slower, worse residuals, worse build quality, worse gearbox, worse image, much worse interior etc etc.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Would this be new or used? Buying or leasing?

These are "ok" but, having driven one, I wasn't that impressed. Not a bad car, don't get me wrong, but there are some other great cars out there right now.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
ive just recently had a new trophy, was a toss up between that and the fiesta st, fiesta was good but it hadn't got the outright grip through a corner that the clio has, and the fiesta couldnt lay its power on the exits, it would just spin up the inside wheel, it was great fun but just not as capable.
My wife loves the auto box and i enjoy playing with race mode, i test drove the clio expecting to hate the gear box, because of all the reviews i had read, but i think its great, i really dont understand all the negative comments, maybe the 200 edc was much worse i dont know.
We also have children so 5 doors was a no brainer, and tbh the back doors arent obvious because the handles are hidden, its not like they make the car ugly.
The trophy is a really quick and really capable car, and ive had some good cars that im comparing it too.

David

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
I absolutely love my 200 EDC. Wanted a trophy but when I was looking at the used prices of the normal models I couldn't bring myself to pay for a brand new one.

I've done 3k in mine so far and its absolutely superb. I love it! The gearbox can be a little daft in full auto mode but 95% it behaves perfectly fine. Apparently the trophy is even better gearbox wise with new actuators and better software but its still a little daft in full auto mode speaking to a couple of people who have compared them. I'm hoping to get the 220 box software put on mine.

I've just fitted cooksports to mine to take the edge off the arch gap and it sits perfectly now.

If you want to know anything else just ask and i'd be happy to help.

i was excitedly waiting for the limited edition fiesta st to come out, details were released some time back now, all it has over a standard st3 is some awful paint job, the mp215 performance kit which costs 599 and a slightly different final drive, yet the money they are asking for them over and above an st3 is crazy. At least with a trophy you get a lot of extras compared to a clio 200 edc, so you can appreciate at least where some of the money is being spent.
I think the price difference between 200 edc and trophy is about 3k.

Sounds fair to me for......... lower and stiffer trophy chassis, revised edc gearbox giving up to 50 percent faster shifts, increased rev limit in race mode to 6800 rpm's, different turbo, exhaust and induction for an extra 20 bhp and up to 280 nm in over boost , super sticky michelin pilot super sport tyres on diamond cut wheels, quicker steering rack.......and for the green brigade, stop ,start technology, lol.
Thats a fair old package for 3k imo.

David

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
i was excitedly waiting for the limited edition fiesta st to come out, details were released some time back now, all it has over a standard st3 is some awful paint job, the mp215 performance kit which costs 599 and a slightly different final drive, yet the money they are asking for them over and above an st3 is crazy. At least with a trophy you get a lot of extras compared to a clio 200 edc, so you can appreciate at least where some of the money is being spent.
I think the price difference between 200 edc and trophy is about 3k.

Sounds fair to me for......... lower and stiffer trophy chassis, revised edc gearbox giving up to 50 percent faster shifts, different turbo, exhaust and induction for an extra 20 bhp and up to 280 nm in over boost , super sticky michelin pilot super sport tyres on diamond cut wheels, quicker steering rack.......and for the green brigade, stop ,start technology, lol.
Thats a fair old package for 3k imo.

David
I wasn't willing to pay 3k for all that unfortunately. The nicer seats were an option so that put me off too.

Mines already on cooksport springs and i can buy trophy shocks for £400 from Renault which I'll be ordering. Stop start didn't bother me either, I'd only switch it off lol. More power would of been nice but i can't leave anything standard anyway so already been discussing 300bhp with RS Tuning haha.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
aaah 2650 is the actual price difference. Loads of folks spend more than that on mods, way i see it is, ive got a fully modded, very rare and reliable clio with a factory warranty.
Ive already done the old modifying to 300 bhp thing.....twice !, yes its fun when it works, but it comes with so many compromises, imo you cant beat factory power when everything just gels.

Stop / start, yes i always turn it off too !
David

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Done the deal. It has the Trophy seats too. All for 3k over a 200. Can't wait!

I drove the 200 about two years ago and it was good but didn't feel right to me. Tested the Trophy a couple of months ago and it left an impression. Although a 200 with springs, exhaust and remap would be similar I'm sure.

I know Rs Tuning have a Trophy to play with so it'll be interesting to see what a standard one remaps too.

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
Can't beat them, easy to drive fast. Took mine to the 'Ring couple weeks back and it would trounce my old 197 around there. The grip it has is incredible.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Can't beat them, easy to drive fast. Took mine to the 'Ring couple weeks back and it would trounce my old 197 around there. The grip it has is incredible.

I'm doing a bit of a drive across Europe this summer including doing a few laps of the ring. I'm currently debating whether to take the Trophy or my big spec Mk2 Megane RS

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
Done the deal. It has the Trophy seats too. All for 3k over a 200. Can't wait!

I drove the 200 about two years ago and it was good but didn't feel right to me. Tested the Trophy a couple of months ago and it left an impression. Although a 200 with springs, exhaust and remap would be similar I'm sure.

I know Rs Tuning have a Trophy to play with so it'll be interesting to see what a standard one remaps too.

Nice, sounds like we got a similar deal, i got money knocked off that would be the equivalent of your saving on the seats.
How long do you have to wait for it ?, i didn't want to wait for any length of time, and so fortunately by opting for a standard trophy i got the car in 2 - 3 weeks.
If i had to wait moths i would've just brought the fiesta st, although with hindsight that would have been such a mistake, they are good, very good, but they are no Trophy imo. Although that is subjective, if fun is your top priority then the fiesta could be the better car, personally i value A to B ability greater than outright fun, and the trophy comfortably trumps the fiesta there.

Regarding your suggested mods for a 200, I don't think just adding springs to a 200 creates the equivalent of a trophy chassis, im sure there must be more to it than that....although i stand to be corrected !.
Sure you could add a remap and exhaust to a 200 and it would no doubt be faster than a trophy in a straight line, but all the extra torque would compromise the cars ability to lay its power, especially exiting corners or from a standing start. I think what makes the trophy so quick around a lap is its modest and linear, almost nasp like power delivery with no turbo lag, it means the car can usually lay most of its power without spinning any away. If i was modifying again, trying to make a trophy faster, i would be looking at a limited slip diff and brakes, they are worth far more than some extra horses under the bonnet imo.

p.s cant wait to see your pics, what colour have you opted for?
David

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Think the only extra chassis changes, are springs and a stiffened rear beam on the trophy.

As an everyday car the trophy makes sense, if you where planning on modding may aswell go bog standard 200t with remap, exhaust and susp upgrades as you say.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
mmm dunno jus tfound this in an online review.....
Hot hatches aren’t just about straight-line pace, however – which is why the car has stiffer dampers, a 20mm lower ride height at the front and 10mm at the back, 40 per cent firmer rear springs and 10 per cent quicker steering. These changes do make a difference and give the Trophy a harder-edged character on the road and track, serving up extra grip thanks to its sticky Michelin tyres and RS front diff."

i would have thought if it had 40 percent firmer springs on the rear that it would have different springs on the front too but it doesnt state that.?
David

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I wouldn't say a faster rack, springs and new bumbstops is comprehensive tbh more like little tweaks not that, that's a bad thing.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've bought an ex demo and got the price down a bit further so it's a fair bit cheaper than brand new. I was debating between black and white and in the end I've gone solid white. I'll get the roof and spoiler wrapped black.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
congrats, im sure you will have some great fun driving it.
Love mine, and actually many tests speak very highly of the trophy now, its won numerous group tests, seems like the flock can't shake off the press's negative gear box comments regarding the 200 edc though, just shows the power of advertising, because most who think its not great won't have even driven it. I'm glad i took the time to find out for myself or i would have had a fiesta st now!.
David

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
yes definitely I agree, the fiesta is a great car.....and them heated recaros are great, that's the only thing I miss in my clio as i have the standard seats.
The fiesta is possibly more fun than the Trophy, but ultimately not as capable, even in mp215 guise, infact that would just high light the fiestas weakness imo.

David

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
yes definitely I agree, the fiesta is a great car.....and them heated recaros are great, that's the only thing I miss in my clio as i have the standard seats.
The fiesta is possibly more fun than the Trophy, but ultimately not as capable, even in mp215 guise, infact that would just high light the fiestas weakness imo.

David
Capable? A Trophy wouldn't see which way an ST went, nevermind a mountuned one.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
Capable? A Trophy wouldn't see which way an ST went, never mind a mountuned one.
not sure if that is a serious comment or if your joking !!

anyway just in case....

quote top gear
"Now that Top Gear has published their review, we have some independent timings:

0-60mph and 0-100mph and back to a stand still by Top Gear at Bruntingthorpe
220 Trophy 6.5s and 20.3s
208 GTi 6.2s and 21.1
Fiesta ST Mountune 6.6s and 21.6s
Corsa VXR 6.7s and 21.4s

Knockhill lap times by Top Gear
220 Trophy 1:05.4
208 GTi 1:05.2
Fiesta ST Mountune 1:07.1
Audi S1 1:05.2

from evo magazine
quote....
for the Bedford lap time is in EVO Magazine's issue 213. The Clio Trophy's lap was done in rain for half of the lap, but it still managed to give 0.7 seconds to the Fiesta ST Mountune which did its 1:29.5 lap on dry conditions.

motorsport magazine, magny cours track test results..

clio trophy 1.29. 1
st mountune 1.30.3

from autocar
quote...
Autocar has just published their handling test for cars under £30k.

Splitting the cars into three categories: high power, hot hatches and rear wheel drives. The contenders were 220 Trophy, Civic Type-R, MX-5, Focus ST, Caterham 270R, GT86, Cooper S Works, 208GTi and Corsa VXR.

The 220 won the hot hatches, Civic won the high power group and the 270R the rear wheel drive group. In the final three, the Clio just lost to the Civic with the MX-5 taking the top place.

the fiesta is a great car, it wins many group tests because its cheap and great fun, but its not even close to a trophy from a to b or around a lap, not even with the mountune kit . Youve only to look at both cars up close to see which one has been developed for track use, compare the front brake sizes, what tyres they wear, and check out the aerodynamics underneath a trophy compared to the standard mess you see under a fiesta st , or any fiesta for that matter, they're all the same.

David

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I actually thought the guy was talking about the original Trophy after talking about the new one. Apologies dude.

Can ppl please tell me now they've driven their 220's a bit now what they are like as I'm looking at financing one from Renault dealer. Never financed a car before so dunno a good deal from bad .

Currently have a 2010 200 haven't a clue what that's worth either but after having a read I deffo want a trophy.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Looking at those figures above looks like some of us on here have a bargain 208 GTI by PS arriving soon ;)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Few of us on here jumped on a deal back in March.
Should be here in the next month.
The performance figures quoted are very good ;)
The inside looks stunning & the lsd is a bonus.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
Can ppl please tell me now they've driven their 220's a bit now what they are like as I'm looking at financing one from Renault dealer. Never financed a car before so dunno a good deal from bad .

Currently have a 2010 200 haven't a clue what that's worth either but after having a read I deffo want a trophy.

love my trophy, its amazing, every drive is a thrill, it does everything massively well.
Straight line performance, exhaust sound ,lightning gear changes, unbelievable grip and handling in the corners, incredible traction and serious stopping power. It all just works as a package like nothing else ive ever had before.
I guess the 208 gti is the main competitor, I think they are both superb cars, infact I think they are about as equal in terms of ability as 2 cars could ever be. I'm sure you would be more than happy with either.
For me the practicality of 4 doors just wins, my wife wanted an auto, I wanted a serious hot hatch, no other car can do all that.
David

Yeh that's a good way of putting it mate you have the best of both worlds basically.ive loved my 200 so that's why I'm happy to stay with a Clio .havent even looked at a 208 but I might see what they are offering .

Upon reading the Renault sport brochure is everything on this come with the car .

When I say this I mean when you open this link in going to attach and get to page 19/44 you'll see it saying standard features but it's hard to understand all that coming with the car there's loads of toys with it.

What's the RS MONITOR like mate ?

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
the only options are paint colour, rs monitor and the trophy seats.
I don't have the options so i couldnt tell you about the monitor, it is good value though because its a very cheap option to have, its 300 pounds only.
Only thing is i didnt want to wait months which seems to be normal if you have the options, i got my car in 2 weeks.
The extras would be nice, but they don't detract from the driving experience, or add anything to the driving experience, and thats what its all about for me.
My car is in the no extra cost paint colour as well but tbh it looks great, imo better than some option colours that will cost you 1500 pounds.
David

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
here's mine in the no extra cost, glacier white.
IMG_0472_zpsesylynrf.jpg

IMG_0478_zpsvmolieaa.jpg

David

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
Looking at those figures above looks like some of us on here have a bargain 208 GTI by PS arriving soon :wink:
do you think the 208 gti is slightly tweeked / geared towards a great 0-62, because the official time is 6.5 which is 1 tenth quicker than the trophy, but then looking at these test figures the trophy is quicker from 0-100 mph and back to standstill again.
0-60mph and 0-100mph and back to a stand still by Top Gear at Bruntingthorpe
220 Trophy 6.5s and 20.3s
208 GTi 6.2s and 21.1

or maybe the trophy has more powerful brakes and stickier tyres which haul it down from speed faster than the 208 gti.
David