ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New clutch, now juddering?

Nissan 350z
Hi all need some advise on this.

Had a new clutch in my Ph1 to fix a VERY stiff and high biting clutch problem i was experiencing. This has worked and my clutch no longer requires stamping on to push down! :)

However...

My engine idle is now down around 500 revs and when pulling off from standing still (either reverse or 1st) the car judders for a moment as it starts moving almost like its going to cut out and stall. Id like to add this is regardless of revs. Ive tried over reving the engine to around 2k revs it still judders then snaps forward as it switches from clutch to engine as expected.

I dont want to go back to the person who just did this to prevent sounding like im whining about nothing but what do you think could be causing this?

Cheers

Arctic 182
i had this in my ph2 172 and apparently the person who did my clutch hadnt skimmed the flywheel,if you can get him to do this as flywheels are v.expensive!

The fact that the engine idle has changed makes me think that this is unconnected with the clutch replacement. Check all electrical connections ,breathers etc.
Could it be an ignition fault?

Nissan 350z
Skimmed the flywheel? Sounds interesting.

I just put the engine idle into the above incase it was connected, like i said it seems todo this regardless of revs so im not really sure if its connected to the issue.

Im not very technical so excuse my ignorance but i assume this skimming the flywheel is another engine out job. If he says he has already skimmed it and this is still happening, im guessing the next job would be to replace it?

Nissan 350z
Told the guy who did this about skimming and he seemed to shun the idea, saying it is something that shouldnt affect a 1.4 engine so im back to the drawing board.

Any ideas?

Nissan 350z
Sorry gtruk im not very mechanically minded.

When you say what kind of clutch, how do i go about checking this?
Are you suggesting that there are different kinds and perhaps they fitted the wrong one?

Cheers for the response though :)

lift number 1 @ btm
Told the guy who did this about skimming and he seemed to shun the idea, saying it is something that shouldnt affect a 1.4 engine so im back to the drawing board.

Any ideas?

does he accept that something is not right?
and if so, does he not have any suggestion as to why this is happening since he worked on the car?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I thought flywheels only needed skimming when fitting paddle clutches... certainly i've never skimmed one...

juddering when pulling away could be the clutch release bearing...but if the car is idling bad i'd sort that first as changing the clutch release bearing is 99% the same as changing a clutch :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If I was you mate, i'd take the car back and say

''you fitted my clutch, thanks for that, but the car is now juddering when pulling away and it wasn't like it before. Could you have another look at it for me please?''

He is the mechanic afterall and should know what it was he replaced/repaired.

Nissan 350z
I thought flywheels only needed skimming when fitting paddle clutches... certainly i've never skimmed one...

juddering when pulling away could be the clutch release bearing...but if the car is idling bad i'd sort that first as changing the clutch release bearing is 99% the same as changing a clutch :(

Thanks for clearing that up. And thanks for the replies all.

Hes fitting me new gearbox mounts when i can afford it at the end of the month so i will do as suggested above and basically say:

"while your at it can you please fix my juddering problem that you have caused?"

When i find out i will let you know. Cheers :)

A

ashy_gtt

If i read what you've written correctly you say it judders when you let the pedal up then grabs?!?

Few things spring to mind.

Has the clutch plate been fitted the right way around? It seems as though it would be impossible but you can actually do it if you try hard enough, what will happen is the car will actually drive but instead of the clutch plate biting on the flywheel the springs on the sprung centre plate will grab on the heads of the flywheel bolts :S The clutch wont last very long if this has been done!

Another possibility (this happened on the wifes 106 gti) the cluth release fork somehow got bent so the two prongs were out of alignment, what happened was when you depressed the clutch one side of the fork pressed the relase bearing aginst the clutch cover and gave a vibration. This wore the bearing out quite quickly and eventually wore the clutch cover away.

Another posibility is that its just a bad clutch, i've had this before on the Reno 5, no idea why but the clutch had a nasty vibration on it as if it had a hign spot so as it engaged it would vibrate through the pedal! Took it back and got it replaced the next one was fine!

I've never skimmed a flywheel before fitting a new cluch, i agree with your mechanic its highly unlikely to be that!