ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New disc and brakes, and lowering

04 Clio 1.6 16vDynamique+
Hello,

At the moment I have a standard 04 reg 1.6 Clio Dynamique+.
One of the discs has coroded and lipped and desperately needs changing.
I plan to change both front discs and pads.

Could anyone suggest a good setup to go for? Brand and type of disc and pads. I have no preference except that I don't want to pay more than 150% of the cost of standard parts. Say £100 for standard, I can budget up to £150.
The Needforspeed website seems a little expensive but maybe I am naive.
Any ideas how a disc becomes lipped?

As for the lowering, this is something I would like to do but I am cautious as to the downsides, like hitting sleeping policemen. How many MM do you reckon I could go to before this became a concern?

ah they look good, ok price as well.
I found these as well:
BLACK DIAMOND - BRAKE PADS (PREDATOR)

Renault Clio Phase III ('98-'05)

Which do you reckon are better for heat, wear and performance?

Standard discs have slowly become the better choice considering my options.

Could anyone suggest a good setup to go for? Brand and type of disc and pads. I have no preference except that I don't want to pay more than 150% of the cost of standard parts. Say £100 for standard, I can budget up to £150.
The Needforspeed website seems a little expensive but maybe I am naive.
Any ideas how a disc becomes lipped?

As for the lowering, this is something I would like to do but I am cautious as to the downsides, like hitting sleeping policemen. How many MM do you reckon I could go to before this became a concern?

Personaly stock disks ad stock pads are more than ehough stock pads from halfords are FDB845 £17 then disks are £30 each side so that a total of £77 then some good brake fluid say another £10 that a great setup you don't need any more if you do want to do uprated then the balck diamond are good but realy better pads like greenstuff or DS2500 are availibale but I don't think the greenstuff are that much better but there onyl a few more quid (£36) and ds2500 are realy over kill and expensive at about £60.

I have heard bad things about Halfords.

I've decided on some Brembo discs from APD in Cirencester and Mintex pads from Merlin Motorsport at Castle Combe. The reason behind my decision is that I can't wait for a delivery and would prefer to buy them and fit them on the same day.

Would I really need to change the brake fluid?

RenaultSport 197
60mm drop is safe on standard wheels. Can go that low on bigger wheels too (like 17's) but will be a harsh ride. If you want a proper set up, I recommend coilovers just to make the ride better and more comfortable. Depends what look/ feel you're after.

I dont care much for looks but I want better corner handling.
If it can go 60MM with no problems then I might go 40MM, that must be enough for better hadling.

I have heard bad things about Halfords.
Would I really need to change the brake fluid?
You should bleed the brakes yep.

Forget what you heard Halfords being bad there own copy cat pads are a bit rubish but there disks and there ferodo pads they sell are normal Renault stuff realy very good realy.
I dont care much for looks but I want better corner handling.
If it can go 60MM with no problems then I might go 40MM, that must be enough for better hadling.
Define better you can find the stock setup much better lowering springs just make the car roll a bit less and increase grip since its got a lower C og G assuming the surface is good.

Update.

Brembo vented front discs are fully coated, Mintex Extreme front pads are fully bedded in. I will come clean, instead of just using the slip patch on the back of the pads, I added copper slip on top, and this may be the cause for the occasional squeak.

Squeaking only occurs when braking from high reverse speeds, such as 20mph, and light braking at low forward speeds, such as 10 mph. The grip is truly immense. My previous setup was the factory setup which at the time of replacing was in good enough condition for at least 5k miles. My new setup compared to the old is astonishing. Braking comes instantly and effectively. I am yet to track day test this new setup but it wouldn't bring results different from my road driving.

All in all, I highly recommend Brembo discs and Mintex Extreme pads. Talk of squeaking amongst forums is going to be inevitable. As long as they don't squeak all the time, you don't have anything to worry about. My setup is fine, very little squeaking. Results are sublime, perfect even.

Hope this helps.

You'd be surpised how much more brakes realy get used even from waht people think.

That was just a little joke about my road driving. I would like to track day my car sometime, maybe Castle Combe. Any ideas if there are Clio meets at Castle Combe?

O/T but nice car, i happen to have bought myself exactly the same colour model! Both have good taste obviously. Still havent been able to let it go yet as im nto 17 for another week so only been around local roads with it!

I would like to track day my car sometime, maybe Castle Combe. Any ideas if there are Clio meets at Castle Combe?

No idea where castle combe is best do a search for meets and track days in the track day/racing forum and the meets section.