ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New door speakers, back of them touching the plastic; is this okay?

Hey

I've installed new door speakers, they sit really snug into the slot for the original ones, however the back of them and the magnet are against the plastic 'surround'/'casing' in the doors, just wondering if this is a problem due to heat from the speakers?
Should I cut the plastic out so the speakers aren't touching anything, just secured by the circle edge with the screw holes (still secure etc).

​Cheers!

1.2 16v clio
should be fine as they are mate i doubt the door speakers will get that hot and aslong as there is no plastic going into the basket of the speaker there shouldnt be a problem

you can cut off the plastic if you want to but i believe that the plastic is a water cover

Found an image of the bit I mean,

baffles009.jpg

The sunken in bit. I'm just wondering if it will melt at all since the back of the speakers are pressed up against it.

I can't hear a rattle inside the car, but if music is on and I'm outside of it I can hear it rattle haha.

Thanks for the replies guys, shall leave them intact then :) !

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
You dont want to cover the back of the speaker with dynamat, thats intened for the surfaces around and behind the speaker. If you cover the speaker it will ruin its tuned dynamics.

Out of curiosity, what speakers did you install?

Some EDGE ones, they were like £25 for a pair or about that. 150watt 13cm I believe. Wasn't after anything super demanding, just needed to replace the default ones due to distortion/old age.

I don't hear any vibration etc inside the car, the audio sounds fine most of the time depending on volume/song.

I keep getting a very slight smell of plastic/melting plastic, which is my main concern if I have music playing for multiple hours of driving; not a problem for short trips but extended use could cause issues.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373534424.605590.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373534438.372550.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373534472.608027.jpg

That's the only one with noticeable marks in the speaker bay or whatever it's called.
I'm unsure if its from these but seems most likely as I didn't notice them when I changed them.

Last pic shows how I wired them (snipped the connector off, joined the new wires to the car wires using some funky solder things) there's no burn marks etc on the wires or the solder things I used.

Nothing melted any where tbh.