ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Engine for 51 Clio 1.5 DCI

Clio 1.5 DCI
Hi All,

Great website, lots of interesting reading and educational too. Nice to see there is a huge Clio community out there.

As you may have gathered from the title, I have a 51 Clio 1.5 DCi. I've been thinking about getting a bigger renault engine, maybe 1.9 DCi from megane/laguna.

So far I found out that finding an engine/gearbox/ECU and all the other parts is not going to be a serious problem. Finding a garage that can do an engine transplant is prooving dificult.
Seeing that there are lots of members here who have done serious work to their engines, I guess there must be garages out there that can help me.

So, can some of you guys suggest garages in the south/southeast that can help me with this kind of work?
I would also like to hear any comments that you may have on my idea.

Cheers

GDi or Yozzaspot might be interested i don't expect so though its a lot of work if any trouble exists.

Personaly go with the new 2.0 16V engine if you can get one for the pk4 box as the 1.9 use the rubish PK6 box,

Clio 1.5 DCI
GDi or Yozzaspot might be interested i don't expect so though its a lot of work if any trouble exists.

Personaly go with the new 2.0 16V engine if you can get one for the pk4 box as the 1.9 use the rubish PK6 box,

Thanks Edde, is the 2.0 diesel engine? Excuse my ignorancee :eek: .
Also, why do you think there may be problems?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
That's a funny comment alright but I can't see the analogy there.
Diesel engines are way better than petrol engines in almost every respect! Namely, diesel is cheaper than petrol in almost every normal country in the world! Diesel is more efficient fuel than petrol. Diesel is more environment friendly than petrol. Diesel engines last lot longer than petrol ones.
Superiority of diesel was proven on 24 hour Le Mans this year when the first 2 winning cars were both Diesel.
I could go on for ages...

Coming out with comments like that on a forum where 90% are petrol heads owning Clio Sports is asking for abuse, be warned!
There are also lots of reasons why diesel engines are worse, but that's just gonna open a can of worms

Back to your original post though, what is your thinking of going for a bigger diesel engine, why not tune the 1.5 DCi lump. Chip it with better breathing mods works well on those little engines. If that's not enough, as posted earlier, drop in a 2.0ltr 16v petrol engine and theres plenty performance upgrade

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 1.5 DCI
I agree, lets leave that argument for some other time...
I want a diesel engine because I do about 1500 miles a month and I need the car to be:

A. economic
B. more powerfull

With a petrol engine I will be seriously out of pocket with that mileage.
Does a 2L petrol engine return 50+ mpg?
With a bigger diesel engine I will retain the economy somewhat but will gain more power.
My 1.5 engine is already chipped producing about 90BHP tested against an 85BHP clio and performs better so I think I've hit the limit there. I could get additional 10BHP with better tunnig but thats not enough.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
it's the same old battle of performance vs economy. how much power do they have, isn't it 130bhp? but the engine would weigh a lot moren so you will have to uprate suspension and brakes etc
I would imagine it'd be a tight fit, as the 1.9 diesel engines look a lot bigger than a 2.0ltr petrol. what DCi engine did you start of with, 68bhp? the money it would cost to do the transplant you could convert it to the DCi 100 a lot cheaper. Probably be easier to sell on as well?

Motorbikes
Almost not worth it, as said a bigger diesel engine will weigh more hence the brake/suspension upgrade too. It would be a costly job, you could probably buy a used diesel Laguna for the same cash I imagine if you want more power?

Clio 1.5 DCI
Almost not worth it, as said a bigger diesel engine will weigh more hence the brake/suspension upgrade too. It would be a costly job, you could probably buy a used diesel Laguna for the same cash I imagine if you want more power?

Well, the engine will add 50KG tops to the overall weight. Point taken on brakes and suspension but is not going to be too expensive to do that.
Diesel laguna with 1.9 DCi weighs 400KG more than my clio so power to weight ratio is not going to be the same if I just pop the 1.9 lump in my engine.

I intend to spend abpout £2.5k on this. So £2.5k + £2K for my cliio cant really buy me a nice ride.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Urgh, I don't like where this thread is going.

Firstly, your suspension is gonna be fucked. Nevermind your front wishbones from that extra weight.

Clio 1.5 DCI
I thought people are supposed to get help and suggestions here :D
All I've got so far is negative coomments and comments about the fuel my car is using :D.

How can an extra weight of 50 KG kill my front suspension and wishbones?
I just can't see that.

I'll remind you that the MK2 diesel clios came with 1.9 DTI engine which was same weight as the 1.9 DCi (I am guessing). I bet the suspension in MK3 is same as MK2 diesel clios.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
All I've got so far is negative coomments and comments about the fuel my car is using :D.

I just can't see that.

I'll remind you that the MK2 diesel clios came with 1.9 DTI engine which was same weight as the 1.9 DCi (I am guessing). I bet the suspension in MK3 is same as MK2 diesel clios.

the only 1.9 diesel engines were in the Mk I clio, and that was normally aspirated, no turbo, IC and all the other ancillaries req'd with forced induction
Your not going to get many people on the side of a diesel engine on a forum like this, me included, but I just don't think the engine conversion is your best way of going about more performance and I've been trying to suggest other routes. Is your DCi fitted with an intercooler, what other mods did you do to get 90bhp other than chip.

another thought, will the megane gearbox fit in the clio, I'm pretty sure the 6spd doesn't, anyone know?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
My apologies, I stand corrected.

I thought they scrapped the 1.9 engines when they introduced the Mk II. what happened to these engines then, why the change to 1.5ltr

Golf GT & A4 Avant
yep was only available in the mk2 phs 1 i think it was about a £15K car new!

So Renault changed the Mk II Ph II from a 1.9 turbo to a 1.5 turbo?

I know they're French but they must of had a good reason for doing so. I still think best bet for performance and driveability would be to stay with the 1.5, and look into bigger intercooler and turbo, possible the DCi 100 set up, up the fuel pressure/ pump etc and enjoy it for what it is

Also, why do you think there may be problems?
The wiring and ecu plus integration etc is the trouble realy plus there loads of ways round things depends how you go about it. If I were to choise A way to go about it as a recomendation I'm not sure which way I'd even say.

Back to your original post though, what is your thinking of going for a bigger diesel engine, why not tune the 1.5 DCi lump. Chip it with better breathing mods works well on those little engines. If that's not enough, as posted earlier, drop in a 2.0ltr 16v petrol engine and theres plenty performance upgrade
Gearbox is the weekness at the moment relaibility wise. Mods yep cna be done but bigger tubros the common used option.
it's the same old battle of performance vs economy. how much power do they have, isn't it 130bhp? but the engine would weigh a lot moren so you will have to uprate suspension and brakes etc
I would imagine it'd be a tight fit, as the 1.9 diesel engines look a lot bigger than a 2.0ltr petrol. what DCi engine did you start of with, 68bhp? the money it would cost to do the transplant you could convert it to the DCi 100 a lot cheaper. Probably be easier to sell on as well?
175hp in the top spec 2.0 16V model engine (180 in the V6 dci one but that an Izuzu engine anyway) The one to look out for the all new V6 3.0. dci Renault/Nissan co designed that due to make 225 upto 265hp when its at top spec.
Firstly, your suspension is gonna be f**ked. Nevermind your front wishbones from that extra weight.
Nope if the suspension will need work but nothing huge.

I just can't see that.

Mk3 suspension is different but ignore the comments on here thye either know nothing and at times can be an impolite bunch if you wish to make a complains use the little tringle at the bottom of there posts and report them for not abiding by the forum rules which are here.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/misc.php?do=cfrules

The extra weight won't kill the wishbones biggest thing is to try reduce fornt end weight anwya so battery in boot etc helps but wishbones only bend when you crash. Bushes can wear but thats down to loads of factors.

i'd keep the 1.5 unit and go see the derv doctor
Yep there potential for the engine 10 dci pump ad then 100dci or 80 dci injectors give about 125hp worth of safeish fueling stock turbo would still be ok as well. Torque would have to be limited for the box.
I just don't think the engine conversion is your best way of going about more performance and I've been trying to suggest other routes. Is your DCi fitted with an intercooler, what other mods did you do to get 90bhp other than chip.

another thought, will the megane gearbox fit in the clio, I'm pretty sure the 6spd doesn't, anyone know?
I agree HP isn't cheap reliabily.
90hp is quite easy though depends what he started with.

Other boxes won't fit though hif he has a dci 80 he alreadys has the strongest box unless he used the 106 block as they use the stronger Tl4 6 speed box but even that only 20% stronger.
So Renault changed the Mk II Ph II from a 1.9 turbo to a 1.5 turbo?

I know they're French but they must of had a good reason for doing so. I still think best bet for performance and driveability would be to stay with the 1.5, and look into bigger intercooler and turbo, possible the DCi 100 set up, up the fuel pressure/ pump etc and enjoy it for what it is
Yep.

There loads of good reasons the 1.5 dci could make as much power more economically and efficients plus its lighter and better for safety etc.

For drivability bigger CC not bigger turbo

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you're even half serious about doing this, do it.

A 2.0 diesel Clio would be hilarious. 200bhp and decent torque in a 1000kg car is a recipe.

Coming out with comments like that on a forum where 90% are petrol heads owning Clio Sports is asking for abuse, be warned!
There are also lots of reasons why diesel engines are worse, but that's just gonna open a can of worms
Be warned of what small minded people not wanting to help a person interested in a proper project grow up and have a look round.

There a lot of reason the 172 and 182 and v6 engines are pieces of junk but I won't mention or open that can of worms.

Urgh, I don't like where this thread is going.

Firstly, your suspension is gonna be f**ked. Nevermind your front wishbones from that extra weight.
Firstly I like the way this is going could be interesting to real people who are interested in cars not close minded people which scores to settle it seems.

Secondly suspension isn't going to be fucked as you put it it will need modiftiyn for the extra weight and realy uprated hubs and or 172 hubs/ etc but that not huge issue. As for the wishbones there fine 50KG is nothing they don't bend intil you crash.

Thread cleaned up, keep to the topic in future please guys.

Many thanks.

Anyway regards the poster original comment. The 2.0 is the M9R engine. There a few version 5 from memory used In the Laguna top spec the 172 engine. Its got the handy strong box and the most powerful the lower spec 150 might be a realistic better engine as its got a more power at low rpm as the turbo doens;t have to make as much boost so can boost lower down without issue so near idle its more power than a 65 flat out. Idealy get the ratios modified as they won't be ideal I'd maybe go for a 150 and get massive long ratios built to match.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
my 1.5 dci engine is blown. will the 1.9 or 2.0 dci engine fit straight in and plug in easy enough . seems like a good conversion if it will go in easy enough . i already have cup wishbones , suspension, brakes . so the weight will not be a problem and with it being a van i can move a few things into boot to balance battery etc .

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
If you're even half serious about doing this, do it.

A 2.0 diesel Clio would be hilarious. 200bhp and decent torque in a 1000kg car is a recipe.

u will never get the M9R lump in a clio, its fuking hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Fit an F9Q 782 engine from a 99 1.9 Clio DTi - custom built manifold, bigger turbo, Exhaust, steel rods, forged pistons, bigger cooler, bigger injectors, Emerald or DTA management and i reckon 200 + bhp is achievable.

my 1.5 dci engine is blown. will the 1.9 or 2.0 dci engine fit straight in and plug in easy enough . seems like a good conversion if it will go in easy enough . i already have cup wishbones , suspension, brakes . so the weight will not be a problem and with it being a van i can move a few things into boot to balance battery etc .
Forget it realy its a rela project not saying it cannot be done but there easier things VAG 1.9 PD would be a better idea in many ways and proven tnning options etc.