ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new engine - thrash or gentle run in

very interesting read! in the end mate, its ur choice, i would take it was for the first 150-200 miles, then run it hard.

Not above 3500rpm for the first 625miles. After that slowly increase rpms over the next 625miles. After that you can whack it all day long. Renault also states that full performance can only be expected after 2500miles(from new).

Martin,

What happened to your car?

why u need a new engine?

I thought you had gearbox or the clutch changed as well.

"After reading the website above"

Why would a company like Renault with high performance engines in their sport models make you run-in a car in incorrectly????

They designed, build and tested these engines extensively, and would know what the best run-in method is. So do whatever you want, Ill stick with the manufacturers run-in procedure.

dbouwer - know what you mean mate - why would Renault do it!!!!!:confused:

however as quite a few people have said on here - thrash it hard first of all and it makes sense that it will be better for the engine.

really not sure and would love to see what the other on the site have to say (who are more mechanically minded than me;)!!!!!)

Baboo - did get the new cluth and new parts for gearbox - was running a treat!!!! I drove over some debris in the middle of the road however that cracked my sump and sent iron filings into the oil in the sump (and therefore around the engine). They checked and the engines internals were phucked - so new engine is on its way.

pretty annoying - but want to get opinions on what to do with the new engine.

If you run it flat out from the start you will shorten the life of the engine and Reno get more aftersales money off you for servicable items that are knackered before time or maybe even a new engine !

Run it in, if you thrash it, it will loosen up quicker and die quicker.

I ran the first 300-400 miles under 4k, then the next 400 under 5k etc, breaking it in slowly.

The dealer when questioned, said he normally would keep it under 3.5k for the first 200 miles then progrssively open it up over the next few hundred miles, he stated dont thrash it for at least 1k miles tho!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 29 October 2003

Exactly...

If you do hammer it from day one it will loosen up quicker, so come up to its full potential in fewer miles, but it will not last anywhere near as long as if it were run in.

My mate nailed his from the moment it left tha garage and now after just over 2 years it sounds like diesel when you start it up in a morning! With this in mind I took it easy when I got mine as we all know how well Renault build stuff...

My Cup was run in properly and it can run the 1/4 mile in 14.5secs only 2700 miles at the time), which is a very good time, so it aint done mine any harm taking it easy and its still getting better!

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 29 October 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 29 October 2003

Exactly...

If you do hammer it from day one it will loosen up quicker, so come up to its full potential in fewer miles, but it will not last anywhere near as long as if it were run in.

My mate nailed his from the moment it left tha garage and now after just over 2 years it sounds like diesel when you start it up in a morning! With this in mind I took it easy when I got mine as we all know how well Renault build stuff...

My Cup was run in properly and it can run the 1/4 mile in 14.5secs only 2700 miles at the time), which is a very good time, so it aint done mine any harm taking it easy and its still getting better!

Yeah and a new gear box within 1 k miles hehehe;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 29 October 2003

Yeah and a new gear box within 1 k miles hehehe;)
No, it was diagnosed at 500 miles...

Was faulty from the factory though!

Rag your engine from day one mate. Let the guy who has your car in 5 yrs time pick up all the bills.. I say enjoy it from the start!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rallye-King on 29 October 2003

Rag your engine from day one mate. Let the guy who has your car in 5 yrs time pick up all the bills.. I say enjoy it from the start!!!
So you obviously never read my post above...

"My mate nailed his from the moment it left the garage and now after just over 2 years it sounds like diesel when you start it up in a morning!"

Was planning on keeping mine at least 2 years, dunno about everyone else!

thanks for the feedback all - i really am in two minds on this one as pricipally Id love to get more performance out of the engine - and if getting on the gas earlier will do this then im well up for it!!!:D

Thing is as some peps on here say it may mean that the engine wears down quicker. Dont like the idea of it being fooked after only 2 YEARS!!!!:eek:

Has anyone else ragged it from the word go and seems to have a quickun??

cheers again all

Martin

What would you rather have, a quick car after 2500 miles or a fast car now and a diesel/new engine in two years? I know what my choice was.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Martin -

You either get a quick one or a slow one, theres not much you can do about it...

Like I said, I drove mine easy for the first 1000 miles, so its been run in gently, but its fast and I have proof with my quick 1/4 mile times. If Id ragged it from new it wouldnt be any quicker!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 30 October 2003

Just play around with the low down torque, kept me ammused till I could really open it up!
Yup, theres plenty of power & torque below 4000rpm so you can still move along quite quickly. No need to drive like a grandad...

Thrash it, its covered by warranty anyway!;)

An ex girlfriends old dear had a golf gti years ago and obviosly drove it like a woman. I used to take it out for a spin andblow the cob-webs away for her. The car was all choked up but after about 2 yrs of weekend thrashings it finally reached its full potential.

I think had it have been driven harder at the start then it wouldnt have needed the 2 yrs of abuse - say no more

i run my in for the 1st 1000 miles, then built up from there, and now the car is making really good quater mile times.

Wes

My missus bought a brand new MGTF in March and the sales man said she didnt need to run it in as the oil and build quality now a days is top notch!!

At the end of the day mate its your call but if i was paying out a lot for a nice car id treat it well!!

When you get it just take it to scotland and back for the weekend then job done!!

My Ragnotti has about 3700km on the clock, and hasnt used any oil yet despite four days on the ring. I drove it fairly easily for the first 1200km or so trying to keep the load light and varying the revs, but then it was on to the ring and flat out...

Average petrol consumption is hovering around 9.1l/100km.

Ed

Easy for the first 500. Try to resist 4k+. Just make sure for the 5thhundred mile your on the red line!;) Enjoy!

VW Potato

for Gods sake, whats the bloody rush? Treat it nice for 650 miles (its only 650 pigging miles for crying out loud - thats nothing compared to the thousnads of miles you will drive), then you will have 50,000miles or more of great service from it.

also, if you rag the engine from new, youre going to be ragging the brakes, clutch etc...all these need settling in nicely, too.

take it easy, treat it nice, then enjoy it more for a long, long time afterwards.

g