ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Front Plate :-D

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
Just ordered a new front plate from FancyPlates and it came this morning! Ripped the over sized old 1 off and stuck the new 1 on and it looks a lot better! :cool:

Before:

plate1.jpg

After:

plate2.jpg

Cheers, Jaff

Yeah there is a guide on it telling you the site and what measurements to order.

Cheers, Jaff

Clio1.2 16v & LR Defender
I got some plates from http://www.demonplates.com/ got the renault clio logo on it and looks great.

They have the size done already and come with a kit to fit to the car.

Highly Recomended

or629rdfc1mu0rl86q2nelndc0_8.png

Last edited:
They can eaither be drilled and screwed or they come with self adhesive VERY STICKY pads.

Your number plate dosent show any of the BSAU145d markings. I think these are required by UK law aswell as the number plate makers brand on them.

A car can fail the MOT if the markings arent shown.

They are very small and mybe just cant see them in the photograph.

No the plate have no markings on them but i had my MOT done to day and it passed with them on so happy days!

You get some really strong sticky pads with it. Just cleaned where the pads were goin and stuck it on. Its solid and probs take the paint off if i pull it off lol.

Cheers, Jaff

182 FF Inferno
Your number plate dosent show any of the BSAU145d markings. I think these are required by UK law aswell as the number plate makers brand on them.

A car can fail the MOT if the markings arent shown.

They are very small and mybe just cant see them in the photograph.

Thats what the copper told me lacking BS marking, non reflective (though I'm sure it was), and didn't have the plate makers postcode/ address.

All to do with ANPR I think

Burg 172-Charge Ti Duster
Ive ordered one of these, Im going to velcro it on so for my MOT I can whip it off and put the normal reg on it! I think they look the danglys personally. If you get pulled its highly unfortunate tbh....

koi

Audi S1
Ive ordered one of these, Im going to velcro it on so for my MOT I can whip it off and put the normal reg on it! I think they look the danglys personally. If you get pulled its highly unfortunate tbh....

Yeah keep the old set for the mot just in case, takes 2 seconds to swap them over

No not strictly legal iirc. Due to letters bein 3/4 height, non reflective, doesnt display the letters it should and manufacturers info, and most of all, its illegal because it looks good. :D

(But im gettin one anyway!)

koi

Audi S1
Are these legal then or not!

The ones from fancy plates are not legal as they don't come with the markings/code on the bottom right of the plates. Also if you go for the reduced height front plate the font is slightly smaller as well.

They are leagal if they contain the B markings e.g. BSAU145d. They must also contain the makers brand name.

The demon plate ones are legal but attract attention. The plain white ones are not legal but not many would notice anyway.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I like your shallow plate Jaffa, fits very neatly indeed! Liking the carbon Diamond too!!!

I spent a lot of time looking for a nice set of plates that were legal, ended up buying from Dubmeister, or actually one of their outlets in Bedford.

They are 100% legal pressed plates, conform to the BS standards: they have the right spacing, reflectivity, height & width of letters and the Name/Postcode laser printed onto them........and the GB/EU logo......as apparently having F for french makes them illegal too even if the rest is ok.

Obviously they dangle over the RS front grill slightly like a regular plate but I think look a bit more swish.....?!

Here are mine on the car, super sticky padded on:

3375713629_9759e2cf60.jpg

3375731789_55c72913b1.jpg

3376545150_3485a6747b.jpg

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Reg transfers site said:
SUMMARY: What is required and permitted on UK road-legal number plates

Required:

• White front plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
  • Yellow rear plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
  • The registration number of the bearer vehicle in the mandatory font (black ‘Charles Wright 2001’)
  • Spacing of characters and character groups in accordance with the measurements specified in the regulations. Variation is not permitted
Permitted but not required:

• 3D variation of the mandatory ‘Charles Wright 2001’ font
  • Coloured, non-reflective border
  • National emblem: English St George Cross with “ENG” legend, Scottish St Andrew Cross with “SCO” legend, Welsh Dragon with “WALES” and “CYMRU” legend, British Union Flag with “GB” legend) or Euro Stars symbol with “GB” legend.
No additions or variations are permitted. Common illegal variations are:

• Fancy or decorative typefaces
  • Bolts placed in such a way as to alter the appearance of characters
  • Adjusted spacing between characters or character groups
  • Altered characters
  • Additional logos or symbols, such as sporting emblems and religious symbols.

so according to that a blank plate is legal if its the correct height and font etc - no?

Freetrack&Monaco 172
so according to that a blank plate is legal if its the correct height and font etc - no?

The clue is there. It says:

Required:

• White front plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
  • Yellow rear plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)

So you need to find a FULL list of what is covered by BS AU 145d.

Some of the details you have there are missing the references to the details of the company: Name and Postcode that supplied them, and the plate has to be marked with its according BS number (BS AU 145d). Etc etc.....

Have a look at: http://www.bnma.org/bsaua45d.htm

Freetrack&Monaco 172

Also to save you the hassle full list of specs:

What the law says about the display of registration marks
The new British Standard and the Vehicle (Crime) Bill, is very specific about what is allowed and what is not.
All new number plates must conform to the following specifications:
Characters/ Size
Height 79 mm
Width 50 mm
Stroke 14 mm

Side margin
11 mm
Top & bottom margin
11 mm
Space between characters
11 mm
Space between groups
33 mm

Outlawed:
Other typefaces.
Bold or italic script.

Fixing bolts deliberately position to alter the appearance of numbers or letters - i.e. changing "11" to "H" etc.
Positioning letters outside of the new margin and spacing rules.

Compulsory:
Only one standard typeface will be legal - the Charles Wright Font.
Buyers of replacement plates will have to produce documentation proving they own the vehicle they are purchasing plates for.
The number plate of the seller must be marked with the name and postcode of the seller.
From 1 September 2001 any new number plates must carry the British Standard number:
BS AU 145D.
Number plates must carry the name and identification of the number plate manufacturer.

Buy 1 Fancyplates and 1 Legal plate. Apply with velcro so easily changeable if questionned, keep spare in the boot. Job Done

182 FF Inferno
They are leagal if they contain the B markings e.g. BSAU145d. They must also contain the makers brand name.

The demon plate ones are legal but attract attention. The plain white ones are not legal but not many would notice anyway.

Surely they aren't legal as the font is the wrong size?

Evo 8 MR
I'm sure a copper wouldn't simply let you swap them over I bet he would be more likely to issue a FPN on the spot. Not worth it imo, plates are plates.

Audi TT
I'll admit it looks good but know I'd wind up with a FPN myself if I drove it into work one. For the 1cm of plate overlapping I don't think it's worth the risk TBH.

Clio 197 08
I'm sure a copper wouldn't simply let you swap them over I bet he would be more likely to issue a FPN on the spot. Not worth it imo, plates are plates.

I had italic font plates on my 1984 mini when i started driving and i got pulled over, didnt give the copper any nonsense, said the old ones were in the boot and he let me change them there and then! Just got to realise you are in the wrong and dont get arsey! These plates made a totally different look on my car so dont agree a plates a plate!