ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New, Fully Electric Renault 5

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As cool as it looks, 0-60 in 6+ seconds just won’t cut it for the new car customers. They’ll want a lot more from such a lairy looking thing.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I just want to know how much it weighs (couldn't see it in the article)

A s**t load, all EV's do.

For reference Nissan have an SUV coming out based on the Megane platform, it's hilariously being called a "compact SUV", the Kerb weight is near-enough 2 tonne.
0-60 is 5.1-5.9 seconds for the AWD model.

Imagine driving the lairly looking Alpine, and getting pissed all over by the Megane's flabby cousin.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Looks great that. Would definitely be interested.
0-60 of around 6 seconds could quite easily be 5.7 which is pretty respectable for a small hot hatch.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
That's an auto express interpretation of what it'll look like so don't get all excited over those pics.
Apparently the 5 will not get AWD so yeah the more powerful megane will probably be quicker and with AWD and torque vectoring it'll probably corner better too. Renaultsport would never have let that happen 😂😂.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hopefully they improve the specs 250 mile range isn’t going to be very good in 2025.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
£18,500 is a ridiculous claim! There's no way on earth that will be less than £20k 🤣

An e-Up! is £24k before the government incentive which, if still around, is disappearing fast.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully they improve the specs 250 mile range isn’t going to be very good in 2025.
I expect if you go to a renault dealer and say its not got enough range they will point at the megane and say buy that then. It is a city car after all.
The battery and motor are from the 2019 Zoe essentially, which will be kinda old hat by then.
Company boss Luca de Meo said the use of the new platform and revamped battery tech will enable the firm to sell the 5 for about 33% less than a current Zoe - which costs £27,505 at entry level.

The firm has also confirmed the new 5 will use new powertrain technology and nickel, manganese and cobalt-based (NCM) batteries that, it says, will dramatically reduce the cost per kWh to around £58 by 2030. Renault added that the 5 will have a range of around 400km (248 miles).

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I expect if you go to a renault dealer and say its not got enough range they will point at the megane and say buy that then. It is a city car after all.

Company boss Luca de Meo said the use of the new platform and revamped battery tech will enable the firm to sell the 5 for about 33% less than a current Zoe - which costs £27,505 at entry level.

The firm has also confirmed the new 5 will use new powertrain technology and nickel, manganese and cobalt-based (NCM) batteries that, it says, will dramatically reduce the cost per kWh to around £58 by 2030. Renault added that the 5 will have a range of around 400km (248 miles).

Not really sure you can call it a city car when it’s likely the similar size as the current Megane.

More comparable platforms from vw dub already have a range of 330 right now.
so it’s not really good enough from Renault if they expect to compete in the ev world.

Then again this is a Renault concept so the chance of it actually going into production as is is basically 0% :ROFLMAO:

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Using a retro style as a base for an electric car is a great way to go, the French have done small car styling so well in the past, it makes sense to use it. I hope more companies follow suit, it would make me a lot more interested in electric cars.
Plus I bet the name will help sell at least a few.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't get why people think they need an EV that will do 500 mile between charges. If you do that many miles a day then an EV just isn't right for you at the moment, otherwise just plug it in at home and if you're doing an unusually long trip just plan a bit better. If renault can sell that for under £20k nobody will be that bothered that it'll only do 250 miles.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
So much information in the article🙄.

The 5 Prototype city car will be a key part of Renault’s push for 30% of its sales to be of electric vehicles by 2025

So it seems it will be on sale before 2025 and it is indeed designed as a city car not a long distance gt. 👍

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
I didn't get why people think they need an EV that will do 500 mile between charges. If you do that many miles a day then an EV just isn't right for you at the moment, otherwise just plug it in at home and if you're doing an unusually long trip just plan a bit better. If renault can sell that for under £20k nobody will be that bothered that it'll only do 250 miles.
That and if you’re doing long journeys a lot you don’t buy a small city car.
Big car…long range
Small car…short range

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

If the public aren't pushing for better range the companies won't be fussed about making them.

A claimed range of 250 usually means somewhere above 150 in the winter, which is pretty pap really.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

I’ve found it’s generally people who don’t understand that you have that 250 mile range every morning when you take it off charger, it’s almost like they forget your charge it at home.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I want an EV, because I hate the current situation with Fuel. But until the network, car tech and charge speed has improved (it’s getting close) it’s just simply. It practical for 50% of my driving. Which is fine, I will remain curious until such time as it’s more viable for me. Which is probably another ‘car ownership’ cycle away

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I want an EV, because I hate the current situation with Fuel. But until the network, car tech and charge speed has improved (it’s getting close) it’s just simply. It practical for 50% of my driving. Which is fine, I will remain curious until such time as it’s more viable for me. Which is probably another ‘car ownership’ cycle away
And that’s the correct attitude. Because you’re normal.

But Brian and Sally, who are nearly retired and use their car for more than 100 miles a week maybe once a year but are still complaining that EV’s don’t offer enough range are the issue. Once people can understand that with a bit of planning, you can do 250 miles in a day, we will turn a corner.

Until then, I’ll listen to my dad beat on about how it’s no good when he does his bi-annual golf trip with his mates, despite being ideal for the rest of those two years. 🤦‍♂️😂

I’ll be the first to admit I’m no fan of EV’s, but after talking to several Tesla owners that do a fair mileage, it’s perfectly do-able.

But for the likes of us that do 40k a year, we’re a way off yet.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Friend is down there and sent these on the Whatsapp chat 😎
IMG-20220623-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20220623-WA0002.jpg

172 Cup
Really like that! I recently discovered my work are doing a salary sacrifice scheme for EVs, if the pricing indicated is correct could be a very cost effective way into EV ownership!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It looks amazing, but I can't get excited about a Renault concept car.

Not after the Clio RS.16

I’ve found it’s generally people who don’t understand that you have that 250 mile range every morning when you take it off charger, it’s almost like they forget your charge it at home.

or they live in a flat, and that isn't an option for them.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
or they live in a flat, and that isn't an option for them.
Which is why imo chargers in car parks or dedicated forecourts aren't the answer. Kerbside chargers would be a much more useful development for cities, cheap ass trickle chargers you can leave on while you're shopping, at work or in your flat. The rush to get it out there means we've ended up with hideous huge things like tesla chargers than can only fit in certain places.

P. S. Renault fucked up the Laguna coupe too🤮😆.

What's with the side vents though? Not like its going to use them to cool a proper engine?
Thermal management of the batteries?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Surely 3-4 minute full charges at a forecourt is the goal? Making it no different from filling up at a petrol station. That has got to be where the technology ends up?
I was talking to @riz friend about it the other day. He lives Birmingham iirc and went to Cornwall on holiday. 20 minutes on the big charger takes him from 20% to 85%. Enough time to stop at the services and have a wee/food/drink etc and then you’re on your way.

He said that people get hung up (myself too before I spoke to him!) on full charge when the reality is, you only need enough charge to get you to your destination. He said he regularly stops for a 5 minute charge and that gives him the 20 or so miles needed just to get where he’s going and then he plugs it in to charge fully. Be that at work or home.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I was talking to @riz friend about it the other day. He lives Birmingham iirc and went to Cornwall on holiday. 20 minutes on the big charger takes him from 20% to 85%. Enough time to stop at the services and have a wee/food/drink etc and then you’re on your way.

He said that people get hung up (myself too before I spoke to him!) on full charge when the reality is, you only need enough charge to get you to your destination. He said he regularly stops for a 5 minute charge and that gives him the 20 or so miles needed just to get where he’s going and then he plugs it in to charge fully. Be that at work or home.
Yeah good point. Spose it no different to just stopping and putting 15 quid diesel in to get you home. Not that 15 quid gets you home anymore unless you're just off the end of your drive

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
My mate has just bought a Tesla and he reckons that a full charge at home costs about £9 but a full charge at a petrol station/roadside charger is about £20!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
My mate has just bought a Tesla and he reckons that a full charge at home costs about £9 but a full charge at a petrol station/roadside charger is about £20!

Sounds about right.

Mines 7.5p per kwh at home
Around 30-55p per kWh on our public chargers