ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New, Fully Electric Renault 5

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Which is why imo chargers in car parks or dedicated forecourts aren't the answer. Kerbside chargers would be a much more useful development for cities, cheap ass trickle chargers you can leave on while you're shopping, at work or in your flat. The rush to get it out there means we've ended up with hideous huge things like tesla chargers than can only fit in certain places.

Who's paying for all that tho? Not just the install, but the ongoing maintenance, which on a big network would be pretty mega.

I don't really fancy my council tax going to replacing thousands of cables and connectors that people can't or won't look after when they use each one.

Archtronics

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Far simpler to put all the r&d into making electric cars do 4-500 miles a charge and charge up in 10 mins at a “charge station”.
Rather spending a loads of money on fixed infrastructure that will be outdated in 10 years time.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'm abit surprised we've not seen the supermarkets take more of an initiative on charging, cos you're usually in the shop for 30-60 mins, perfect time to charge the car. They're big players in the petrol/diesel business and are well placed to do the same for electric.

Maybe they're just waiting for ownership numbers to rise?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Having read loads of comments on charging and watched a good few videos, I’m just not convinced the demand for charging to fill in 5 minutes will ever be what people think it is. We’re taking the current way of doing things (filling up to full at a dedicated location) and trying to shoehorn electric vehicles into that. I see the format actually being lots of small charges during “dead time”. Parked at the super market. Parked at work. Parked at the train station. Given that cables are “everywhere” it seems retarded to make us all specifically drive to set location to charge, when the charging can be brought to us.

Now, I’m not saying there will be zero demand for a 5 minute charge. I’ll repeat, for clarity, I’m not saying there will be zero demand for a 5 minute charge. But it’s just not going to be anywhere near a 1 to 1 replacement for filling up an ICE vehicle.

Archtronics

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Having read loads of comments on charging and watched a good few videos, I’m just not convinced the demand for charging to fill in 5 minutes will ever be what people think it is. We’re taking the current way of doing things (filling up to full at a dedicated location) and trying to shoehorn electric vehicles into that. I see the format actually being lots of small charges during “dead time”. Parked at the super market. Parked at work. Parked at the train station. Given that cables are “everywhere” it seems retarded to make us all specifically drive to set location to charge, when the charging can be brought to us.

Now, I’m not saying there will be zero demand for a 5 minute charge. I’ll repeat, for clarity, I’m not saying there will be zero demand for a 5 minute charge. But it’s just not going to be anywhere near a 1 to 1 replacement for filling up an ICE vehicle.

Issue is those cable/networks aren’t up to spec so would need replacing so we’d end up with another open reach situation.

A lot more difficult and costly to do vs focusing your infrastructure in specific spots.