ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New gaming pc

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I say gaming pc but really it woukd play simcity 5 and then naybe some rts games. Nothing more. This has stemmed from playing simcity 5 on my 2009 mbp. I want bigger screen and better graphics. I would play cod etc on my ps4.

Would have to do internet, bit of photo storage and office.

Was thinking of an imac as i like apple products. But then if i wanted to play a few nice games etc pc is really the way forward. I guess windows 8?

Would consider building my own again. Decent imac would be £1800

What pc would i get including 24 inch monitor or bigger? Would rather pay less but i seem happy to pay more gor apple but seem to want to pay less for pc? Weird logic.

Really i should just buy a mac pro lol

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
£800:

jpm7.jpg

£700:

wfg3.jpg

£600:

gwcj.jpg

PS4 Beater for similar price:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Cheers for the posts guys. :cool:

just not sure which way to go. Pc seems the most obvious way for what i want, but mac so aesthetic.

F82 M4
Lol, one benchmark on one game, at a resolution he's not going to play for 3+years (by which he'll have a new pc no doubt), dem logics. (And ignoring the fact a 280X is cheaper as well)

Last part sums it up though, and for that reason I'm out :) (cs is full of nvidia fanbois)

Eh?

1080p Crysis 3

770 - 48.8fps
280x - 44.8fps

1080p Far Cry 3

770 - 73.5fps
280x - 65.1fps

1080p Grid 2

770 - 88fps
280x - 88.9fps

1080p Just Cause 2

770 - 102.4fps
280x - 94.5fps

1080p Total War: Rome 2

770 - 74.5fps
280x - 79.7fps

I was never referring to 4k resolution, I was always referring to 1080p. So your comment on "Not sure why you'd go for a 770 over a R9 280X though, as it's a much faster card." isn't exactly accurate is it?

I like you Addicted, always have, but get off your high horse mate. ;)

"Dem logics".

Eh?

1080p Crysis 3

770 - 48.8fps
280x - 44.8fps

1080p Far Cry 3

770 - 73.5fps
280x - 65.1fps

1080p Grid 2

770 - 88fps
280x - 88.9fps

1080p Just Cause 2

770 - 102.4fps
280x - 94.5fps

1080p Total War: Rome 2

770 - 74.5fps
280x - 79.7fps

I was never referring to 4k resolution, I was always referring to 1080p. So your comment on "Not sure why you'd go for a 770 over a R9 280X though, as it's a much faster card." isn't exactly accurate is it?

I like you Addicted, always have, but get off your high horse mate. ;)

"Dem logics".

Not sure where I got 4K from, ignore that :p

Depends where you view, "mixed" results everywhere, but generally it's the opposite of what you posted - here's some of the AMD:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...-kicks-the-legs-out-from-under-nvidia-again/2

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...uld-you-buy-an-amd-r9-290x-or-nvidia-gtx-780/

http://www.techspot.com/review/736-amd-radeon-r9-290/page2.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290/6.html

(Links are for the whole benchmarks, not one specific game - but in general the 290 + 290x smack the 770 sideways, and the 280X is still just a bit better. There's more, but these are just the first ones on Google. I'd take multiple benchmark results as being the accurate ones.)

FYI, my horse is higher :p

Either way, I've said what I was going to say! :) I'm sure everyone can make an informed decision - it's not as if there's really that much difference in all honesty, but if it's pure VFM you're after then my advice is there!

F82 M4
Fair enough mate, sorry if I came across rude, just thought you jumped on my back a bit ;)

OP, either card and you'll be happy with the setup bud.

FF 182
I was always under the impression the 770 just edges the 280x.

That build Wilky put up is good, however i would ditch that Evga psu. Its a poorly made FSP made psu, rebranded by Evga. You would be better off with a rebranded Seasonic unit, like a XFX or a NZXT Hale power 90+, or similar.

F82 M4
I was always under the impression the 770 just edges the 280x.

That build Wilky put up is good, however i would ditch that Evga psu. Its a poorly made FSP made psu, rebranded by Evga. You would be better off with a rebranded Seasonic unit, like a XFX or a NZXT Hale power 90+, or similar.

I wanted to recommend an XFX PSU mate but for some reason it doesn't look like Overclockers stock XFX ones anymore. I bought mine from them in March, not sure why they're not doing them anymore. I only selected the EVGA one because they have quite good customer service and RMA's etc.

Bumder With A Buffer
I have an XFX PSU in mine and its good.

My 7990 also is pretty good :eek:

God help me if any of the XFX stuff fails though as the RMA process is said to be rubbish with them.