ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Gear Knob

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Morning,

My currant knob is letting the side down and with the steering wheel about to come off for Snappy to work his magic, thoughts turn to the rather worn out and tired looking knob. I’m not 100% sure the one on there is genuine, it feels more rubbery than leather to be fair.
RPD want £99 for a genuine part, which seems a little steep.
Has anyone bought and fitted one of the £16 eBay items?

What other options exist?

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
AFE64DB8-AD74-4DE8-A360-F196F1205C2D.jpeg

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
That certainly looks smarter. Any other benefits??

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Interesting, especially as there’s a PH1 shifter currently on fleabay for less tHan half what a OEM knob would be from RPD.
Is it a straight swap?

monaco 172
I think options are so thin as taking off the original nob is a complete pain in the arse and usually comes down to hacksawing it off.

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Yeah I’m resigned to cutting the old one to bits. It’s scruffy anyway and feels like it might be a rubber copy.

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Is this as easy as it is made to sound? And all done from underneath the car?

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
So after nearly a month of deliberations I think I’ll look to swap the whole shifter to a Ph1 unit.
I’ve not found a Gearknob I like at a price I want to pay.
Does anyone else supply the brass linkage bushes other than Yanoo?? Seems worth doing while I’m under there with it in pieces.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
There was a chap selling a load of old Richbrook stock on eBay. I purchased one of their older loft reverse knobs and he sent me the wrong bloody one and my one to someone else! I got a refund but I wanted the bloody gear knob! I would like a ph1 one but it’s way down the list in terms of priorities at minute

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
There was a chap selling a load of old Richbrook stock on eBay. I purchased one of their older loft reverse knobs and he sent me the wrong bloody one and my one to someone else! I got a refund but I wanted the bloody gear knob! I would like a ph1 one but it’s way down the list in terms of priorities at minute

I’ve just been on eBay and there’s loads of Richbrook stock. Some really nice ones. Maybe the same guy.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
It’s the slanted top one with embossed numbers I am after - has a red R in a circle on it.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
This is what I’m after, rumour has it they were fitted to some of the Swiss Trophies as standard.

4E971144-CA8D-42A5-AB0E-C69D14B6D262.png

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
I wasn’t sure if it was for a Clio or you had another car.
But that price has to be a mistake!! Mad money.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a ph1 in my trophy, you just replace the whole stick as the knob doesn't come off the ph1s.

Big improvement whilst still oem.
The phase 1 knobs are pressed onto a knurled shaft the same as the phase 2 are. Refitted mine to a modified scenic shifter and apart from being f**king painful in winter it's much nicer to use 😂.
IMG_20170407_195759.jpg
IMG_20190129_224254_982.jpg
20190124_151905.jpg

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Quick question or thought. My brother popped round the other day in his VW Transporter T5. I noticed he had a lift close reverse gear knob in a polished alloy finish. Has anyone tried fitting a T5 style gear knob to the clio? I can’t find shaft dimensions (oh er) but may take a gamble as you can buy ball style gear knobs in 5 speed for about £20.

Before I make a potential mistake does anyone have some pictures of the clio gear stick with the OE knob removed?

Cheers

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Funny you should ask for this. I took a gamble and picked this up from eBay for £12.
I’ve no idea if it’ll fit. But I’ve seen similar on other Clio’s.
image.jpg

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Luckily the shifter I’ve got coming already has a knob on so it’s no biggy if it doesn’t.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
For sure, can always resell I guess. I think I’m going to hit the button on one of the T5 gear knobs, I would buy a ph1 setup but only one I have seen the knob looks like it’s down it’s 20 years under a hand full of rings

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Indeed!!

I’ve just opened the knob and sure enough it’s not for lift to reverse sticks. Not that the description said as much.
Arse.