ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New iMacs

When are they being updated next?

I deliberately stay off the applestore and any apple sites to resist temptation and avoid frustration but I think it's time my 6 year old iMac G5 with iSight.

182 Turbo Project
Haven't they already been updated? They come with i3 as standard? Or is there another update due?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
They were updated last year so it'll be the last quarter of 2011, IMO. Being announced at an October event.

You love a 27"

I'll hold out for the redesign I think. Got a boner and ordered my current one only to have the intel powered machines arrive a couple of months later. FML

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
27" will still remain the top-end screen, but there's been rumours of two smaller models now, rather than the two options we have now.

Probably just larger 7200rpm HDD's, with SSD's as an option. SandybridgeCPU's and the next line of GPU's from ATI. Plus a slight redesign of the chassis, maybe a full glass front, like the Cinema Displays.

Oh, and Lion pre-installed.

The screen even on my machine still looks great and tbh i don't need the 27 for what I use it for so would only be opting for the 21" or it's equivalent in the new range.

I'm resisting the urge to go and pick one up now as the lack of ability to sync my phone to the current mac is doing my box big time. Equally though I know I'd be an idiot to change now if there will be a new design/better spec coming relatively soon.

Unless you are buying a top end machine, I wouldn't bother waiting. If you can manage on an 6 year old mac, then even the lowest spec current model will whoop its ass!!

If you kept waiting for the 'latest' technology you'd never buy anything.

LY 182
I'd agree with Adam above.

The current 27" iMac is a thing of brilliance. Given the fact it's mid Jan, we can all comfortably agree anything new is a way off.

Now go order one!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Agreed. The basic, entry-level 21.5" i3 will monster anything you throw at it, compared the pre-Intel machines.

Not much point in waiting since all the hardware revisions tend to be at the top end of the range.

I know what you're saying re waiting but we're talking within this year and if it's having a cosmetic update too I don't mind holding out a few months. I remember just how dated the G6 made mine look when it arrived aside from the other improved performance and/possible new firmware upgrades. I'll no doubt keep the replacement for my G5 for a number of years too so newest OS would definitely make it worth the wait in my eyes.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I know what you're saying re waiting but we're talking within this year and if it's having a cosmetic update too I don't mind holding out a few months. I remember just how dated the G6 made mine look when it arrived aside from the other improved performance and/possible new firmware upgrades. I'll no doubt keep the replacement for my G5 for a number of years too so newest OS would definitely make it worth the wait in my eyes.

Buy it now, then buy an upgrade for £29 in the Summer.

Revels can't use the term nano he still lives at home, I'd be apple baller status if I didn't have a mortgage and bills to pay for too ;)

Chris I'll be waiting, it'll be new hardware with Lion installed from the outset on my "pov" spec iMac

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
SnowLioness will be though.

I'm a mortgage-paying Apple baller. But I wrote my stuff off against the business, so kinda cheating.

Pwned :dapprove:

It's ok Frenchie just enjoy it while it lasts. I had two spanking new cars, mac, tv, xbox, ps3 out on the lash etc all the time and still seemed to have spare cash despite pitiful income.

Kiss goodbye to treating yourself with toys all the time when you've got a mortgage to cover on one pitiful salary :(

182 Turbo Project
Lol, I'll keep my nano and not live at home!
Tbh I don't need such a big Mac, as I've a massive penis...
Roffle.