ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New laptop internet stops working after hour or so, arg!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I have a wag54gs router, worked fine with my old laptop.

Randomly on my new laptop the internet will just stop working, I can still ping my router, but can't access the router control pannel or go on the internet or anything without a reboot.

Any ideas?

Not a Clio
I assume when you say reboot you mean reboot the laptop and not the router? perhaps check for updated ethernet drivers?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah have to reboot the comp. Computer says all the drivers are up to date.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
i used to have this problem on my acer aspire 5630, took me a few weeks to realise that i was always lay on my bed when it dropped the connection. My bed sheets were blocking off the fan and vents so i assume the wireless card was getting to hot.

Never done it since.

try removing it from device manager and re-install it?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Vista by any chance ?

Had a few reports of this happening with some of the people in my work, random disconnections etc. but I don't support Vista (mainly cause its s**t but thats a different topic) so I never found out what was causing it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Right, this has happened again, MSN messenger still works fine, so i'm still connected to the interent, just can't use FireFox or IE?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Laptop is 2 days old, it's done it since i had it, but as soon as i switched it on i uninstalled the Norton shite, then installed Zone alarm and AVG

Hmm, try making sure you have the latest drivers for the network then.

I take it you've already powered down the router and restarted it?

Had a few reports of this happening with some of the people in my work, random disconnections etc.
I had it, never truly disconnected, but I couldn't get anything in the browser, even the router setup, but could ping.

Turns out it was my bittorrent client being greedy. Limited the connections it's allowed and it's sorted now.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
yeah msn messenger still works, and i could ping my router, well i've fiddled with settings on my router, i'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
The Mrs's new DELL laptop does this. I was wondering whether it could be a virus which AVG isnt picking up on :S

Cant be my router as all other PC's in the house work fine...

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I hope it's not a virus, i've not downloaded anything other than AVG and zone alarm.

Seams to be random, sometimes does it after 10 mins, othertimes after a few hours.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I hope it's not a virus, i've not downloaded anything other than AVG and zone alarm.

Seams to be random, sometimes does it after 10 mins, othertimes after a few hours.

Yep same for mine too. Whats the make of Laptop?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Right now moved over from WEP to WPA as apparently WEP is really old technology.

Old, and can be cracked by a 10-year-old script kiddie in a few minutes lol.

May as well not have any security on it if you're using WEP.

Clio 182FF
There's some patch somewhere which opens many more ports up on your pc to help this... just can't remember where...