ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Lens!

Saved up a bit, sold my canon 28-135mm IS thing and splashed out

£750 on a year old (but MINT boxed etc..) 24-70mm f2.8L

I've only had time to take a couple of quick test shots but oh.my.god I'm fully in love!!

4442535247_ef4793e47b_b.png

4442534467_8662640ac9_b.png

Going from consumer glass to L glass is rediculous - the level of quality, the build quality (full metal body)
How quickly it focus'

Everything is mind-boggling!

Next month I'm getting the Canon 70-200mm f4L for longer track shots - and then I'm seriously considering doing a project 365 :D

Ian

Focus TDCi
Congrats on the purchase, wouldn't mind one of these myself. L glass really is a massive step up in most cases. :)

Just out of interest, what do you think is wrong with them Dan? The exposure of the subjects or of the reflections on the window sill/counter?

Nice purchase!

As you say, Pro grade lenses are amazingly different to 'consumer' lenses. May cost more, but you get what you pay for!

I was only winding him up! Lol. Phillip knows that.

But the backgrounds are a bit out really. Not that it makes any difference and they're obviously just quick snap shots.

I wish Nikon had an L series equivalent.

L glass obviously doesn't help you expose things properly! Lol.

What's wrong with them?! The subjects are pretty well exposed :S

EDIT: Dint know you were joking ;)

EDIT 2: Nikon do sort of have an equivalent, it's just not called anything different, but they have pro grade lenses.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I was only winding him up! Lol. Phillip knows that.

But the backgrounds are a bit out really. Not that it makes any difference and they're obviously just quick snap shots.

I wish Nikon had an L series equivalent.

Lol, was getting worried.

Nikon do have L glass, they just don't differentiate it as such! I really want a d700. :eek:

Are the Nikon pro lenses all for the full frame cameras? :eek:

I want a D90. I like the D5000 (I think that's it) with the swivel screen but I don't want to go back to no AF motor.

What would be an equivalent to this in a pro lens for a Nikon?

Cupra
Very nice. I was torn between one of these and the 24-105. I ended up with the 24-105 as I use the reach more than I needed the extra stop.

What body are you using it with?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Revels said:
Are the Nikon pro lenses all for the full frame cameras? :eek:

I want a D90. I like the D5000 (I think that's it) with the swivel screen but I don't want to go back to no AF motor.

What would be an equivalent to this in a pro lens for a Nikon?

Ooft.. erm.. The 24-70mm that Nikon offer is equally as good as this, as is the equivalent 70-200mm. Most of what Canon offer Nikon match, with a few exceptions. I dunno what fits what with Nikon body/lens combos, never really bothered to try and understand it til now though tbh!

According to the somewhat untrustworthy source that is Ken Rockwell the brand new 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II fits:

Ken said:
Everything works perfectly on every digital Nikon, both FX and DX, and even on Nikon's cheapest digital D40, D40x, D60, D3000 and D5000.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-200mm-ii.htm

Edit:

This might help:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Thanks for the comments

Dan - they were taken with strong sunlight behind on purpose - I kinda liked the overexposed backgrounds :p

Very nice. I was torn between one of these and the 24-105. I ended up with the 24-105 as I use the reach more than I needed the extra stop.

What body are you using it with?

Yeah I like a bit of reach too - but Im getting the 70-200 f4L next month to cover that :)

I'm using it on a Canon 500D at the moment

Oil Burner
Nikon have a cracking pro lens line up, but there are less used ones on the market so they all cost a fortune to buy used (comparative to the Canon versions)

I very nearly went over to Nikon last week, but the price of Pro Nikon lenses and the fact that i couldnt get on with the D300 i tried, stopped me.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
wow you can definately see the difference they look really 'clean' if thats the correct word lol. also i bet you are glad you dont have to put up with the zoom creep now which is terrible on the 28-135, well is on mine anyway

Well I got mine off the bay, and I got it when it came out too, so it might be a bit more expensive now, which is odd as they usually go down a tad.

wow you can definately see the difference they look really 'clean' if thats the correct word lol. also i bet you are glad you dont have to put up with the zoom creep now which is terrible on the 28-135, well is on mine anyway

Oh man it really wasn't put together well - the zoom part was soooo loose

Walking around donington it just kept extending on its own - drove me nuts lol

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
good lens.

I need to throw one into my bag for this summers festivals. *hurry up new tax year*

28-135 was shonky, i have one it stays in the cupboard lol

A red missile
L glass makes me slightly moist ;)

I'm using a 24-105 and a 100-400, that 24-70 is mighty tempting - f2.8 - oh baby, yes please, the fun police will have my b****cks on a platter if I buy one though.

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
if you think the 24-105 and 100-400 are good wait till you start using some of the better L glass :D

There's more to the L lenses than just a low aperture - the quality of them is fantastic, even wide open at ƒ2.8 they are pin sharp!

Colours are richer - just a mind blowing lens

Cupra
Agree 100%, but the 24-105 and 100-400 are both L lenses, and both get very good reviews. I was just curious what glass was deemed to be the top of the L lens tree. I presume that Ryan was talking about the L primes with f1.2 and prices to match.

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
Agree 100%, but the 24-105 and 100-400 are both L lenses, and both get very good reviews. I was just curious what glass was deemed to be the top of the L lens tree. I presume that Ryan was talking about the L primes with f1.2 and prices to match.

The 100-400s a bit of a dog, which is why many people have been moaning that its needed an upgrade for years, now canon have finally brought out a replacement for the old 70-200 2.8 IS L they 100-400 many feel needs to be next on the list.

The 24-105 isnt great either if you talk to alot of owners, inconsistent focussing, colours off at times, soft in the corners etc...

Theyre better than obviously cheap stuff but there are better L glass out there which really will blow your mind if you really rate them.

although IMO alot of people are hung up on L glass for things when they dont need to be though, one of the main things about L glass is the weather sealing (some thats only with a filter attached though) yet people hang them off bodies which are not sealed, so they are paying the premium for something which they are not getting the most out of. Sigma if their quality control would only sort out really do produce some wicked glass for a fraction of the price for those not needing some of the extra features.

But then thats another topic for discussion lol

Last edited:
  Cupra
Meh, different strokes for different folks. There are just as many people on POTN who love their 24-105 & 100-400 as those that can't get on with them. I've had two 24-105s and both were perfect. Sharp at all point throughout the focal range.

The new 70-200 sounds awesome. It's the next lens on my shopping list but as you said, tax returns first! :)

One of the best things about L glass is that it holds it's value so well. Buy a lens, try it out and sell it as no loss if you don't like it. Sigma and the standard EF(s) can't really compete in that respect.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I personally didn't rate the 24-70 I have, not as sharp as the 70-200 IMO. Could be dodgy though, but it didn't blow me away.

Ian

Focus TDCi
70-200mm is an awesome lens, the only other one I've used that comes close is the 50mm f/1.4, which I also rate very highly. I'm not sure whether to get a 24-70mm or stick to primes, probably end up borrowing one for a bit to try it out.

My Sigma 24-70mm doesn't seem to be a patch on the 70-200mm, although I've not used it much tbh.