ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New MacBook Pro - i7

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I took my 2010 i5 MBP into Apple on monday to have a few issue's resolved, one of them being a right speaker rattle. Picked it up Wednesday to find the sound was now terrible, really tinny like a set of pound shop speakers :(

Thanks to a little help from Christopher, I sent an email and got a callback yesterday offering me a replacement 2011 i7 MBP.

Picked it up last night and this evening is the first time I have had a proper chance to play with it.

I wasn't expecting much, I read reviews before I went to swap and although they noted it was slightly faster, I didn't think I'd notice any difference.

However the quad core i7 is a definite improvement over my old dual core i5. The computer boots up quicker but the biggest notable difference is how quick apps start. I can open photoshop pretty much instantly now, whereas before I was waiting what seemed quite a while. Battery life also seems much improved on the new one too.

Only thing that I can see improving it now is an SSD.

So I'm pretty happy with apple CS, they were quick to deal with me and didn't make me wait for another repair and have to keep driving to Trafford to drop it off and pick it up. They also reset the apple care so its 3 years from yesterday which adds about 10 months onto my warranty :)

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Am I the only person to have purchased a 15" MBP in late 2008, still be using and abusing the same one, and never to have had trouble with it? lol

Nice touch with getting the I7 though, good luck with it :)

Slow red one
To add to awesome apple customer service, my mate went to the apple shop the other day to ask how much it would cost to fix two cracks he accidentally got when dropping his iphone 4 and they replaced it with a brand new one after checking the serial number.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Bargain. It's worth doing even a full retail.

You don't buy a £2k notebook and skimp on the extended warranty. Idiotic.

It's me you should be thanking, I got his email address! Lol.

It's changed now anyway apparently. Just bounces back. Probably pissed off with people from CS bugging him! :D

BG 182
Bought mine in store at a student price about a year ago. My Apple Care has run out, so this cant be true...

Definitely is, ordered mine in January and was told the Apple Care was upgraded to 3 years for free with an optional £40 to upgrade the phone support.

Bought mine in store at a student price about a year ago. My Apple Care has run out, so this cant be true...

overview-applecare-coverage-hed.jpg

2.2 bar shed.
Then why was I told that the warrantee had expired when I had my trackpad replaced?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty damn impressive for a MacBook to be running an i7 and having decent battery life.

How does it handle the bane of all Apple users apparently - the noise? Must have some impressive cooling on there - either that, or it drops it CPU clock speed at every given opportunity?

D.

Go cry to your momma!
You don't get Tricare (Student 3 year warranty) if you buy instore, it's only online.

Go cry to your momma!
With not getting it instore? I'm not sure TBH.

Even the staff on the phone aren't all that clued up about it.

Mine wasn't showing up online so I called to query it and it took them a week or so to sort it out and get it added to my serial. It's for UK residents only AFAIK.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It's me you should be thanking, I got his email address! Lol.

It's changed now anyway apparently. Just bounces back. Probably pissed off with people from CS bugging him! :D

I sent my email on Wednesday last week and it got through, if its the same email christopher told me to use.

Pretty damn impressive for a MacBook to be running an i7 and having decent battery life.

How does it handle the bane of all Apple users apparently - the noise? Must have some impressive cooling on there - either that, or it drops it CPU clock speed at every given opportunity?

D.

It hasn't sped up the fans at all since getting it, or got hot. When processing raw images my i5 would get the fans going and get quite hot, on this it doesn't!

Just browsing the web now, and listening to itunes, I've got 70% battery with a predicted 5h47m left.

The upgrade from dual core i5 to quad i7 is definitely bigger than c2d to i5.

When I originally paid for applecare it was about £50 with student discount, i purchased in store.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I've still got Polly Roebucks address, think she's head of North Retail. Dont know if thats changed too though.

I must of tipped Crispin over the edge lol