ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New member, Cheshire, Looking for Sporty Clio

70 & 72 Vw Bug...
Hi Guys, I'm al and I like clios

Currently drive a 1970 VW beetle as my daily and have always fancied a fast Renault from seeing the mental mid engined 5 and Clio V6's and the Williams etc.

I don't fancy driving my beetles through winter and I fancy something with a bit of go as well as show... I've always fancied a williams or a 172 or possibly a 182. A good friend of mine has a lovely red 197 but its abit to new for my tastes I like to tinker.

Any advice or just a hello would be awesome. Thanks guys

MK3 GTI golf 16v
if i where you mate i would buy a mint phase 1 172. the nicest of the mark2 clios :) and a mint one of those would be cheaper than a decent phase 2 172/182 due to being a touch older

they dont need alot doing to make them look amazing. simply change the rear lights to the ph2 ones and it looks awsome. can also change the rear bumper too, youll find a lot of phase 1s for sale have already had this done anyway

70 & 72 Vw Bug...
I was genuinely shocked when I saw the money these were going for, what should I be looking for on them mechanicals wise and what sort of mileage do they start needing major work/rebuilds?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Cambelts are rated to 72k/5 years but the majority of people on here get them done a lot sooner.
£400+ job if it hasn't been done.
... and listen for ticky dephaser pulleys.

Where abouts in Cheshire are you?

70 & 72 Vw Bug...
I'm based in warrington I'm looking at the cheaper end of the market for a first car around 2k max but obviously is like to have abit of dough left for any work it might need. Is go higer than that for the right car though probably. It's a good forum this thanks for the welcomes. So if they've got good history with regular cambelts six belts are they pretty bomb proof?