ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New member with a 172!!

Clio 172
Hi all. So I have been looking at a couple of 172 clios and today I took the plunge and now have a clean but fettled with renaultsport Clio 172 in silver. The car looks clean, has 12 months MOT and I got them to stick 6 months tax on for the price. Paid £1600 in the end.

image_zps62678e81.jpg

image_zps5278a5b1.jpg

It had new front shocks and a new coil fitted today as the last ones were knackerd! All part of the deal, although...it might as well not have suspension it's so bloody stiff and I wouldn't mind changing it for standard stuff!

Also needs a stock air box as it's got a gaaaash cone filter that is starving the engine of power rather than giving it any! I just need a panel filter and a new box lid as the base of the air box is still there!! If anyone has a lid and filter going spare, I can give it a good home! ;)

Has a good service record and lots of paperwork but cam belt is due in 7k and that's on my list of jobs along with new tyres. The only other thing is the exhaust. :S

I'm either getting old or my taste has changed, it looks nice but sounds bloody awful!!

Get my fist in it!!
image_zps50c6d6f7.jpg

Does anyone have experience of scorpion systems for the 172?! I've had them on most cars iv had and they aren't to loud, this piper one is boomy and too loud! Might just get a silencer chopped into this or investigate a swap with a member on here for something a little more restrained! Haha.

Drove it from Nottingham over to Wolverhampton and it was almost faultless!! Bumps turn on the airbag and service light every now and again but they go off again! Blaming a loose connection for this one. Other than this, drove fine, and I couldn't complain! :)

Parked up at the missus family home!
image_zpsfc244bd5.jpg

Let me know your honest opinions. And if people can point me in the direction of a decent second hand air box and panel filter, and exhaust system that isn't so loud, I would be greatful.

Jack

Clio 172
Welcome to ClioSport, JAMason :)

Cheers pal. I have just been doing some reading on the piper exhaust...apparently they are highly rated buy a few people on here and cost a small fortune! :headno:

I think I will just replace it and not butcher it with another silencer chopped into the middle pipe! Lol.

Jack

Clio 172
Looks good.

Not a lot of people read the newbie threads, get yourself a thread in the project section and more will respond.

If it turns into a project, I will get something in there! Its just my daily drive at the moment though. It wont be a project thread as much as a general maintenance thread! I would like to get some new springs fitted at some stage, these lowering ones have no branding on them and are shockingly hard! Other than that, new tyres and maybe the boring old anthracite wheels! Im so original! ;)

Jack

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Even if it's just general maintenance it's worth putting it in a project thread, more people will read it and can help with any questions you may have, and also it's nice when you come to sell you have a list to show how much work you've done on it for any potential buyers from here.

General Maintenance threads/blogs are good, keeps it easier to keep tabs on your own car and if you was to sell it on here, other members can see what's been done it etc.

Clio 172
Ok, I will stick something up when I come to the first move on the maintenance front. Going to book it in at Birchdown Autos for an inspection. That should give me a list to start off with. :) between now and then, I'm just enjoying driving it. It's really growing on me more than I expected. So many reminders of my old 106 S1 rallye but more refined!

Good man. Most car forums that have car projects sections are blogs and maintenance related anyways. It's satisfying reading them, take a look on here, there's some proper in depth project threads.

Clio 172
Good man. Most car forums that have car projects sections are blogs and maintenance related anyways. It's satisfying reading them, take a look on here, there's some proper in depth project threads.

I like that backbox! sits really well :)

thanks, I do love the look of the car, the exhaust looks OEM in my opinion. Doesn't sound it though! ;)

The car isn't too bad to drive! It's just the Suspension is a bit suspect...it's far too low and it's messing with the cars dynamics! Want to replace it for standard springs as soon as I can.

that might be one of the first things I do for the progress blog! I will wait to see what the guys at Birchdown say first though, don't fancy wasting my money if they don't need doing.

Jack

Great to be able to get such capable cars as these for £1600!!
Maybe good idea to get eibach sport line springs rather than going standard springs? They have a good write up. Good for comfort and improves handling. I'm fitting Cooksport springs this weekend to mine, they also have good write up.
I like exhaust fit too :thumbup: Nice touch with the surround rather than just a rough cut
Welcome to forum :beer:

Clio 172
looks good mate! got any more pics of the mini? ;)

cheeky one of the collection!!
0dfb8054fe26f785310fbcb7ada1eb57_zps38740148.gif

the mini is my better halves little brothers. The 205 is also his and it's his daily drive after the mini failed its mot for the dreaded tin worm. I found him the 205 and he got it for a bargain price, although it has needed us under it on a fair few occasions to fix it! Haha. Part of the fun I suppose!

couple more of the mini

d6989a03b61eb870e7b1082ad99f1ab7_zps0d4ccf38.gif

e5fb92f099c586487735f1943839acba_zps2be0288b.gif

last I spoke to him, he was planning on selling the 205 soon to get the mini back on the road for the summer! I will probably be involved in some way or another once the welding is done! :)

Jack

Clio 172
Great to be able to get such capable cars as these for £1600!!
Maybe good idea to get eibach sport line springs rather than going standard springs? They have a good write up. Good for comfort and improves handling. I'm fitting Cooksport springs this weekend to mine, they also have good write up.
I like exhaust fit too :thumbup: Nice touch with the surround rather than just a rough cut
Welcome to forum :beer:

Cheers pal. I would like some decent lowering springs like you have mentioned. But the idea for this car was a cheap, reliable run about that I didn't plough money into, if the missus found me smashing £150 out on sporty red springs...my head would be for the block! That, or she would be out spending more money on my credit card! Haha.

Jack

Clio 172
Well Cooksport springs are 120.... So palm her off with a 30 quid present with your change :)

I will get in the classifieds and see what there is in there. I have asked The guys at Birchdown about replacements. If they can locate a decent set for me, I will have them do the work. It's more than just the cost of the springs, I haven't got the tools to do it my self, would be more labor swapping them!

cheeky one of the collection!!
0dfb8054fe26f785310fbcb7ada1eb57_zps38740148.gif

the mini is my better halves little brothers. The 205 is also his and it's his daily drive after the mini failed its mot for the dreaded tin worm. I found him the 205 and he got it for a bargain price, although it has needed us under it on a fair few occasions to fix it! Haha. Part of the fun I suppose!

couple more of the mini

d6989a03b61eb870e7b1082ad99f1ab7_zps0d4ccf38.gif

e5fb92f099c586487735f1943839acba_zps2be0288b.gif

last I spoke to him, he was planning on selling the 205 soon to get the mini back on the road for the summer! I will probably be involved in some way or another once the welding is done! :)

Jack

nice collection! That mini is lovely, dont think i have ever seen a mini's interior so clean, quite abit different to mine aha :) Definately get it back on the road. Anyway aha, should get a progress thread up for the clio at some point, would be nice to see what changes you do :)

Clio 172
nice collection! That mini is lovely, dont think i have ever seen a mini's interior so clean, quite abit different to mine aha :) Definately get it back on the road. Anyway aha, should get a progress thread up for the clio at some point, would be nice to see what changes you do :)

There is a thread in the progress threads area now for mine! ;) and the 205 is currently in the shop getting some final work done to get it on the market. The money will go into the mini and he is looking at getting a Clio 1.5 Dci now to replace the 205 with something cheap.
Jack