ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New on forum - Mk2 172 in Australia

Hello all - im a very very happy owner of a new Mk 2 172 that i bought about 6 weeks ago:D!!!

over the past month or so Ive been reading all of the threads and think the site is superb for learning from all the people who love the car as much as i do :), the problems that people have had with the car (bit of a pain but such is life) :cry: , and also the scalpes that the clio has taken :devilish:!!!!!!!!(have added a few to the list myself in sydney, Australia).

cheers to all for the threads - ie learned so much about the car over the past month. great to see such friendly banter.

ps: its my first ever car!

Im 26, but never had a car before. feel very lucky to have what i think is the best-in-class.;)

Welcome fella!
Enjoy it! neva saw one when i was out there! ive been twice now, lived in Sydney for six months in 2000, then visited some old friends again end of 01 for a month and stayed in Wentworth Falls in the Blue mountains. I doubt itll be long before im back again!!!
bring on the commodore scalps eh!!

thanks for the welcome all

DanG, DannyBoy - Holden/commodore - regularly scalp those guys - and they HATE it!!!:devilish: Mentality here is "big is better" so when they get done by a little renault (that they havent even heard of) with their girlfriends watching from the passenger seat, its always extra pleasing ;).

Was up against a 7 year old HSV Clubsport (5.7 litre - V8) two nights ago. The guy was revving away at the lights so I thought "why not?":

we both went off quite well, and suprisingly to me stayed with him through first, into second and his red-line was obviously lower as he pulled qtr car lenght before changing to 3rd, however at the same time I had more revs to come and pulled that back and edged ahead, but then it happened!!!!! I mailto:f#@ked">f#@ked up 3rd so badly I should have been shot!! He pulled ahead and then slowed down as we were coming up to some lights. What a muppet!! so disappointed with myself.

was pleased to do so well against what the aussies consider one of their fastest cars(albeit an older one). Definately could have had him.

bet the bloke in the V8 went off thinking "what the f##k was that little thing?!!".

Steve JJh - car insurance is not bad - still steepish though!! I think me being 26 helps in getting the quote down a bit!!!! If it was my first car and i was 18 - think that may be another story!!!!!

Hi Martin,

Im in Australia too, but up in Brissy.

I had a little play with a modded MY99 or MY00 WRX.
They aint that fast through the gears. I can pretty much stay with him in 2nd & 3rd...but I backed down. he was doing well over 120 in a 60 zone.

I wasnt game enough...cos I know theres speed camera thats always there....but wasnt there that night.

but I bet he could kill me at the lights.

hey BaBOo - was up in brissy 2 weeks back for the weekend. mate of mine runs one of the honda dealerships up there - he LOVED the 172 when he had a try of mine - preferred it to the ITR!!

I know what you mean about the WRX - I had a play with similar model and thought the same. Yeah - they would get that power to the ground a little more efficiently than ours from the standing start, but lets not forget just how common they are over here and the type of drivers they attract:p!!

saw a brand new STI racing a Evo 7 along parramatta road in monsoon rain. One of the most awesome things ive seen!!! They took a left turn and i went to go after them but got stuck behind another car for 4 seconds before turning the corner. literallly 4 seconds later i turned the corner and they were gone - NOWHERE to be seen - they must have FLOWN. Im in awe still.

Lionel Richie

Where are you in Sydney??? I was staying in Hyde park at Christmas!!! Ive got a few mates that live in Cronulla

Fireworks at new year are the best thing ive ever seen!!!!!!

In Surry Hills - about 3 minutes from Hyde Park!!! Know exactly what you mean about the fireworks - was down at the harbour on the roof of the Museum of Contemporary Arts - awesome!!

Also have a few friends down in Nulla.

Very good here - but miss the long b-roads back home. Jealous of you boys sometimes and the roundabouts you can cane round (and cane other people round;))!!

Cronulla?!?! flippin eck thats where my relos lived the first time i went out, they were just movin to Gymea Bay at the time tho! and Parramatta!!!!! i remember some times in parramata! Argyl bar is it!! oh dear what a night! i stayed in Penrith alot too, with some Werro boys! Still remeber the Semi final, Parramatta Eels -v- Penrith Panthers match i went to in 2000!

ahhhhh memories!

thank you GirlRacer - how do you manage to do that :eek:??????? all i get are smily faces.........;)

DannyBoy - seriously reckon you have the calais covered!! these aussie cars are very good on the straights and on the pickup, however I have beaten many a Commodore V6 in my 172. dont think youd have a problem.