ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New owner - windscreen washer problem

Subaru imp & leggy
I have just taken ownership of a 2003 172, initial impressions are that it is going to be a lot of fun - however I have a little problem - before purchase I checked operation of most of the electricals and all seemed ok, driving into work on day 2 I tried to wash the windscreen and nothing happens. When I parked up I checked the washer bottle and added 1L of water - still the same - I cannot hear any sort of whirring which I believe I should be able to when I turn the ignition on? When I try to activate the washers the wipers go a few times - which seems normal. If there is no electrical whirring noise on turning the key does this suggest it is the pumps that need replacing?

Subaru imp & leggy
So a quick update after reading some stuff on here. I tried running the washer jet with the headlights turned on and the headlight washer jets work fine. But nothing from the windscreen wipers washer front or rear. I checked fuse too I think it was the right one passenger side of dash. So am I right in thinking the headlamp washers work on 1 pump and then there is a separate pump that feeds front and rear screenwash together?
If so I need to order 1 pump but if they are only a few quid is it worth replacing both together?
Are the 2 pumps different ?
What should I order and where from for a 2003 172?
Thanks in advance.

Subaru imp & leggy
On the 182 they are the same pump. I'm guessing it's the same for the 172.
You mean the same pump does front and rear screenwash? Just rung local euro car parts and they have in stock but said they have 1 with headlamp washers and 1 without and a front and rear pump so I'm a little confused!

Subaru imp & leggy
Thanks for info. Replacement pump from ecp for £17.50 got a friendly mechanic to fit as had all the right tools. Took him a few mins.all good.