ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New pads wont move in the caliper

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Bought some Ferodo DS2500 pads and had a bit of issue fitting them.
I removed some of the paint/material on the ends to get them to fit
IMG_2202_zpsxuhlchd0.gif

Managed to get them into the calipers after a very long time and a lot of struggle but they wouldn't slide. Got annoyed as the car needed to be working so bought some cheap pads to put in while I find a solution for the Ferodo pads. The cheap ones took seconds to fit which got me worried as were the Ferodo pads wrong.
The old Bembo pads and the cheap ones are a different shape to the Ferodo ones - the Brembos and cheap ones are flatter on the bottom
668f4404-4b74-435e-b22b-b29d90fb4206_zpsx30befx5.gif

However I read the instructions from RTR George when I bought them the other week and forgot one peice of info when I came to fit them - they can be run without the carrier shims. Spoke to George and he says that is right, step dad called me a moron and I should have said this before as it would have worked. Car is back togther now with the cheap tempory pads, can't do anything until Saturday now.

But....what I was going to do was remove the shims, file/clean up the caliper a bit to remove some of the crud to make it slide better. But is there anything I can put on to make them also slide a bit more freely? Like a grease? (not on the pad material!). I don't mind them knocking (George said this may happen) as I doubt I will be able to hear it anyway, but just to help them slide

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'd remove more material from the fouling area on the pad backing plate.

I had a similar problem when fitting rear pads to mine. I had to file off a couple of mm from each side, clean the caliper, shims and grease everything to get them to fit right.

Oem pads too!

CLIO 172
Give the calliper a good clean up even sand down where the pad pushes in, you shouldn't need to take much if anything off the pad if it's right.
I use a straight metal file to do this on runners as they should slide free.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I hope they are the right pad as I can't send them back as I have ground two down!!
Good, everyone is saying what I was thinking. Hope cleaning the caliper and no shims will be the biggest difference and not more off the pad. As the pads are now the same 'length' as the previous pads so fit in the caliper but they just don't move.

I had a similar problem when fitting rear pads to mine. I had to file off a couple of mm from each side, clean the caliper, shims and grease everything to get them to fit right.!
What grease, copper slip or actual grease?

It is so annoying not living anwyhere near the car in the week, as I could fiddle with this in the evenings!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I hope they are the right pad as I can't send them back as I have ground two down!!
Good, everyone is saying what I was thinking. Hope cleaning the caliper and no shims will be the biggest difference and not more off the pad. As the pads are now the same 'length' as the previous pads so fit in the caliper but they just don't move.

What grease, copper slip or actual grease?

It is so annoying not living anwyhere near the car in the week, as I could fiddle with this in the evenings!

I used copper grease sorry.

I live a couple of meters from the car and Cba to f**k around on a school night... Or weekend lol.

I need a garage :(

182 arctic
same issue for me, had to grind off the tabs somewhat,, the pads are so thick i took a bit off them too.... dont think my piston had ever been so far into the caliper... i had to remove shimes and take more metal from the pad backing than i thought as just could get the pads to not bind when hot...after a quick drive... kept going round the block hitting the brakes to get them to free up.. didnt want to fry them on the track first lap out!
was a right pain in the backside to be honest.. and wont be using them again for that reason...should not have to mess around with pads to get them to fit , having said that perhaps other brands are the same... seem to stop pretty good though... pleased with them for that, just a shame and dissapointing i had to spend faff time getting them in and working freely..

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I use copper grease, never had a problem, and the brakes on rallies get plenty toasty. By all means use another grease, but copper works fine for me.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I'm happy to remove the material off the tabs, but didn't want to remove any off the other part of the backing they are now the same "length" as the old pads so should fit nicely.