ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New problem - water under the seats

172 Flamer
Hi, only had my clio 172 for a few weeks and have a new problem. Noticed last night that the service light and airbag light came on. So, when looking at the connections under the drivers seat to fix, I noticed a puddle and the carpet soaked. I've also just noticed that its soaked behind the drivers seat in the passenger footwell. I've had a look around the seals and door to see where the water could be getting in but it all seems ok. We have had a lot of rain over the last two days and so the water must be getting in somewhere. Is there anywhere from underneath where the water could be getting in. Anyone got any clues or can help?

Thanks

BMW 118d
the front seats are bolted from underneath, the bolts have rubber gromets over them to protect them from rust, water etc, have a look and see if they are missing, also i used to get water ingress into the drivers footwell when parking at an angle it was coming in beyond the appeture seal.

hope this helps.

1998 BMW e46 323i
the front seats are bolted from underneath, the bolts have rubber gromets over them to protect them from rust, water etc, have a look and see if they are missing, also i used to get water ingress into the drivers footwell when parking at an angle it was coming in beyond the appeture seal.

hope this helps.

Which aperture mate? I had water in my driver footwell about a month back, curious thing is it was the first and last time in 5yrs of owning the car?

BMW 118d
the aperture seal is the seal that runs around the body of the car its the seal in between the door and the body. mine was leaking on the drivers side but only when parked at a angle, ive moved house since then and its parked on the flat drive now so it dont leak anymore mate.:)

BMW 118d
lol, no problem at all, you might find that the little drain holes in the seal have been blocked up....mine had all sorts of straw and little stones in there.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Just took it out, cleaned it a bit, and it's mint and bizarrely quite clean. Very weird. Thanks for the heads up.

172 Flamer
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've actually noticed that its actually damp under the carpet in the footwell where your feet go and by the pedals and not just under the drivers seat and behind it. I had a look under the car and the black rubber gromits are still in place.

So the aperture seal is that black spongy rubber strip that is stuck on the door frame and not the door?? I did have a look at this and it seems ok and did not seem very wet when it was raining. Can this black strip be totally removed and checked?

Also, there is no rain anywhere in the car when its raining. If it was getting through the seals, windscreen seal etc surely there would be rain around the seals, on the seats, inside of doors etc.