ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to the Clio world!! Someone give me some heads up.

MX5 NA 1.6, Clio 182
Hi all, I've been a member for 4 years, never come on the forum because I never actually owned a Clio, but have always wanted one since I was about 7 years old and I saw a 182 cup at the end of my road.

Today I put a deposit down on my first Clio, a 182 FF.

Lowered on (yellow?) springs, supposedly has an exhaust, but not sure, definately has a stainless manifold.

I've test driven it and all seems good, I just had a few questions and would like to hear anything you think I should keep an eye on, bar the obvious ones that I've probably already read about using the search function!

First question, the car I test drove had a very "springy" clutch, the seller said it's common throughout them and I just wanted to check, because the point it springs up is right on the biting point so gives for quite an uncomfortable pull away to a newbie like myself.

Second of all, though I think I've already confimed it, the car runs quite lumpy on idle.. any problems? because I'm pretty sure that's common for these?

Third, I'd like to get some of the cup trinkets, the spoiler and splitter specifically and some new headlight lenses as one has cracked and the other is oxidised.. and wondered where I can get these bits new? if anywhere at all..

It's had the cambelt and pully done by Kam racing, so that's one essential out of the way.

Thanks!

Clio 182
Welcome along, you hope it has an exhaust? ;) to your forat question, yeah the lucth is springy at the bottom end but whe the bite is feels a little heavy, perfectly normal on the clio... trust me, if you get a lazy left foot, the puloing away can be a lttle jurkey. You do learn how to control it alot more, u til you get a lazy left foot haha for ypur second question, idle can be a little lumpy but will sort otself put once the engine has warmed up... another thing to note, sometimes when the engine is cold the car cna feel a little sluggish, once the engine is warmed up it feels normal... I thought if its a 182FF (full flat) it shoudl have all the cup packs :) front spiltter get a skoda fabia spiltter, much cheaper than renault... skoda will cost about £25, renault will cost you £120 fpr the others ebay, or I beleive if you become a member, then they have alot of things on the traders thread, welcome along :)

MX5 NA 1.6, Clio 182
Ah, may be that I got the FF bit wrong, I thought that just meant the entry level one.. Fair.

I'll look in to the skoda thing, thanks!

My clutch is a bit like an on/off switch on the 172. The 182 we have though is nowhere near as bad. Lubricating the clutch pedal has helped but it's still far from perfect, along with the bit of a judder I get I'm assuming the clutch is due a swap.

Hi all, I've been a member for 4 years, never come on the forum because I never actually owned a Clio, but have always wanted one since I was about 7 years old and I saw a 182 cup at the end of my road.

Today I put a deposit down on my first Clio, a 182 FF.

Lowered on (yellow?) springs, supposedly has an exhaust, but not sure, definately has a stainless manifold.

I've test driven it and all seems good, I just had a few questions and would like to hear anything you think I should keep an eye on, bar the obvious ones that I've probably already read about using the search function!

First question, the car I test drove had a very "springy" clutch, the seller said it's common throughout them and I just wanted to check, because the point it springs up is right on the biting point so gives for quite an uncomfortable pull away to a newbie like myself.

Second of all, though I think I've already confimed it, the car runs quite lumpy on idle.. any problems? because I'm pretty sure that's common for these?

Third, I'd like to get some of the cup trinkets, the spoiler and splitter specifically and some new headlight lenses as one has cracked and the other is oxidised.. and wondered where I can get these bits new? if anywhere at all..

It's had the cambelt and pully done by Kam racing, so that's one essential out of the way.

Thanks!

1st. All the clutches are hard, buy a brand new one it's quite soft 1000 miles laters it hard again, it's how they all are. It's something you have to get used to from driving a normal car.
2nd. They're all lumpy on idle, my 172 used to physically move and jolt around without the handbrake on. My 182 is a little tamer due to being a bit newer.
3rd. The for sale section here has cup spoilers quite regular, as far as splitters go get a skoda fabia splitter (£12). It's more flexible than the cup variant which constantly splits and is £130 a pop for some s**t plastic.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Rs tuner remap sorts the lumpy idle and kangarooing when cold as well as giving you a lot more pull mid range.

Headlight lenzes can be purchased from renault but not cheap id imagine! Replace the cracked one from ebay and get the 3m headlight restoring kit to bring them up like new, just beware when buying used headlights they come in 2 different inner colours, black and grey, 172s have black, 182s have grey.

Both points above will have loads of info on the search function

RB182cup&golf gti
That'd make you 17ish then if you were 7 and saw a 182cup parked on your road?
That makes me feel bloody old! I can't think of one car when I was seven that I'd have wanted at 17, they'd have all rusted to bits!
Do the 182s not seem a bit dated now to you?
By the way, enjoy the car!

MX5 NA 1.6, Clio 182
That'd make you 17ish then if you were 7 and saw a 182cup parked on your road?
That makes me feel bloody old! I can't think of one car when I was seven that I'd have wanted at 17, they'd have all rusted to bits!
Do the 182s not seem a bit dated now to you?
By the way, enjoy the car!

Ah maybe 7 was a bad guess, I'm 22 so whenever that was, 12/13? Jeeze I was going to the shops with my mum at 12/13? haha..
I just remember seeing it in bright blue, the white stripes brand new and every time I walked past it I would look at it and get all excited :)

So yeah, feels like longer ago than may have been, but was still significant to me at the time :eek:

I'm sure your response was in relation to age so perhaps not relevent anymore, but I don't think they look dated, I love them. I've owned 10 cars already and this will be my newest one to date !

Last edited:
  MX5 NA 1.6, Clio 182
Rs tuner remap sorts the lumpy idle and kangarooing when cold as well as giving you a lot more pull mid range.

Headlight lenzes can be purchased from renault but not cheap id imagine! Replace the cracked one from ebay and get the 3m headlight restoring kit to bring them up like new, just beware when buying used headlights they come in 2 different inner colours, black and grey, 172s have black, 182s have grey.

Both points above will have loads of info on the search function

Thanks for the info, I'll look in to main dealer prices for just the lens, may be cheaper than replacing the entire light.. we'll see I suppose!

I've done a fair bit of headlight restoring in the past, just the crack that's meaning i need it replaced

2002 clio 172
Thanks for the info, I'll look in to main dealer prices for just the lens, may be cheaper than replacing the entire light.. we'll see I suppose!

I've done a fair bit of headlight restoring in the past, just the crack that's meaning i need it replaced

RSC Europe quoted me 100 quid for a pair of headlights. Try ringing them. I got a heater resistor off them 80 quid cheaper than a Renault parts website

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome along, hopefully owning one lives up your dream :)

will you be keeping the '5 too? If so we will have the same 2 car line up!

MX5 NA 1.6, Clio 182
Welcome along, hopefully owning one lives up your dream :)

will you be keeping the '5 too? If so we will have the same 2 car line up!

I won't be unfortunately, but you sir have good taste :approve: Couldn't think of two better cars for driving experience.