ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new trophy or used ctr

looking to spend about 11-13k i know i should be able to get a 182 cup/182 new for that maybe a t182 even

had a ctr before the sold it due to change of jobs now im in a situation to get something nippy again

what would you do ctr with 20-30k on the clock pre facelift or a new 182/trop

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

new trophy is 15k, so thats out of ur price range..... id have a trophy if i cud save the extra pennies, other wise id spend 8k less and get a 2nd hand 172 on a 2002 plate for 8

Nimbus Clio 197

did u like the CTR? you need to drive the Clio i reckon, cpmpare the two and see which floats your boat! i had the same decision really, and i went for my Cup (well, it did have a few extras). perfectly happy with what ive got now as well......

drive thedeal are doin the full fat 182=12,086

i liked the ctr but the buzz wore off (think it was b/c it was my first hothatch)

iv had a go in a 182 does not fell as fast but i think its just the vtec step that gives you that feeling

anyways it did feel very good on the bends

the only other thing worryin me is the build quality on the 182 are most problem free if not wot r the main things that go on them thanks

[Edited by cup271 on 09 September 2005 at 10:10pm]

only issues you are likely to have are minor niggles trim rattles etc rather than major mechanical gremlins. Despite what youd think they are very reliable. I had a phase2 172 and hammered it for 27,000 miles and never had any problems and my 182 has been fine in the 9,000 ive done so far.

arnold clark sells trophys for 12995

I think that is the answer you need my friend.

i had mine two weeks now and they are amazing. I was in the same predicament but the ctr - common as u like and dull

trophy - great acclaim, limited run and future classic

its a no brainer mate. do it you wont regret it

Yaris Hybrid

Although I prefer the CTR in many ways I would get a new Clio rather than a second hand CTR.

My mate had a second hand CTR with 30 or 40k on it and had a fair few things go wrong - contrary to the myth of bullet proof rattle free reliability. The Clio could very well have stuff go wrong with it too but at least it will have three years warranty and no MOTs.

Quote: Originally posted by cup271 on 09 September 2005
looking to spend about 11-13k i know i should be able to get a 182 cup/182 new for that maybe a t182 even had a ctr before the sold it due to change of jobs now im in a situation to get something nippy again what would you do ctr with 20-30k on the clock pre facelift or a new 182/trop

You can get a 5000 mile 54 plater CTR for £13000, 04s with 10000 miles are £12000, both are the facelifted examples.

Have a look on fleabay.

just been to the ren garage been offered a trophy for 12,600 on road am i getting a good deal got an apointment 2 mo 2 see the sales guy

cock mobile.

Then get in there quick!

12.6 sounds like a good damn good price, and like everyones point out CTR is dull, a good car, but common as muck an a lot of oldies drive them!

Only ever seen three trophies, two were at Trax and one today in the Renault show room at the world series!!

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

<SCRIPT language=javascript> Both are at the end of their life waiting for replacements and it does seem it comes down to brand new versus 2nd hand.

As there are good discounts to be had new, I would go for the Trophy as it does seem to be the best car of its type out there if you like its colour etc.

[Edited by Matty on 10 September 2005 at 7:48pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 11 September 2005
LCR
;)

Reckion he proabably likes feedback from the steering wheel, theyre not exactly the sharpest driving tools in the world. Based on the now prehistoric golf chassis thats never been re-nowned for its driving dynamics in any shape or form.

Quote: Originally posted by Steve106GTI on 11 September 2005
CTRs are crap i hate them overated and torqueless, plus chavs everywhere own them, trophy easily

LOL sweeping statement? They are not crap by any strectch of the imagination. The CTR is a great car - a wonderful place to sit compared to any Clio and feels about 100% better built (but then it costs mors so it should) The CTR has the better engine and gearbox, but its steering is pretty rubbish.

As a tarmac tool, the Clio Trophy wins all day long, but the CTR is a great car and it is faster over the ton.

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 11 September 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Steve106GTI on 11 September 2005

CTRs are crap i hate them overated and torqueless, plus chavs everywhere own them, trophy easily

LOL sweeping statement? They are not crap by any strectch of the imagination. The CTR is a great car - a wonderful place to sit compared to any Clio and feels about 100% better built (but then it costs mors so it should) The CTR has the better engine and gearbox, but its steering is pretty rubbish.

As a tarmac tool, the Clio Trophy wins all day long, but the CTR is a great car and it is faster over the ton.
that was such a formulated answer and had some pretty big sweepers in there too.

id get the CTR, after driving the trophy, yes it was good, just not something you can ever take to its limits on the roads

the CTR is great fun on the roads, IMHO looks better, has a magnificent driving position, and the reliability is a little better than the clios