ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New TV advise - I'm lost!

Cupra
I'm looking to pick up a new TV as our 32" is too small for the room and we could use a TV upstairs these days.

I'm looking to spend a max of 1300 and want full hd, good picture quality and good connectivity and ideally 50"+ as the screen is more than 3 metres from the sofa.

I am leaning towards LED lit as they are smaller and use less power but am open to suggestions.

What are the best screens around at the minute for the money? Samsung seemed to have the best picture when I was looking in the shop yesterday.

Cheers!
Andy

The latest LG plasmas (OMG) are supposed to be very very good. Rivalling Panasonic's panels, so I've read. You should be able to get the 50" well in budget.

Cupra
Cheers, I hadn't looked at LG yet.

I had focussed on Sony (52EX700) as i already have a Sony panel and am happy with the quality, and the Samsung 6700 range as the picture just stood out against all others.

I'll have to take another look next week and see what LG have to offer.

Get proper viewings in demo rooms if you're going to base your decision on experiencing the image for yourself. Looking at them in shops, they're often flattered by stupidly high contrast and brightness than no one with any sense would use in their home.

IMO for a smooth natural image, go for a good plasma. Above all, don't be sucked in by marketing bullshit that hits you with the big numbers.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
if you have a PS3 i'd go for the Sony just because of bravia sync, works seamlessly :approve:

Cupra
FFS. I'm just back from nearly 2 hours of looking around the local superstore and am still no closer to deciding. I always thought that Plasma were better but more expensive, but it seems that the new LED screens are more expensive and the plasmas offer good value for money.

What is the reason for going for LED over Plasma? Plasma offers better colours, response times, value..... why are all the new sets LCD/LED? Is there a reason that everybody is moving away from it? The only sales guy I could get hold off was only good for reading the info off the labels on the TVs!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I think the main reason for LED is the thinness of them. But modern Plasma's are a lot thinner than they used to be. Mine is only 50mm thick for example. A lot of manufactures have given up with plasma and I suspect it's largely down to marketing but the few still doing them keep making them better and better.
LED is also newer tech so you pay a bit of a premium for that even if it's a s**t set. Best advice is to get a short list of model numbers you like the look/price of and check what the reviews/forums say. You get good and bad ones in all the current technology's.

Cupra
Cheers. Went with a Samsung plasma in the end and it is amazing. Plug a HDD into the side and you have HD recording, time shift etc, it has a load of Internet functions that I'll never use, even hiring films at a couple of quid for 24 hours!
It's 3D too, which I wasn't really interested in but it came as standard.
Free e-book reader as part of the package too. :)