ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New walkabout lens!!!

Got myself a 18-200 Sigma HSM OS, Dwarfs my poor little D40, but focuses really quickly and the manual focus ring is excellent compared to the 55-200VR.

Wanted to get a lens that i could take with me on my travels without having to change lenses. I know some people say that the whole point of having an SLR is that you can change lenses, but this is not my only lens, its purely for when I'm out and about in places where I might miss a shot and changing lenses will be difficult. It will complement my forthcoming 10-20 sigma and 50mm nikon nicely.

Got it from ebay (Honk Kong) and it took 2 days to get here with no tax! Pretty good going, had parcels sent from the UK take twice as long!

Will upload some pics after the weekend.

Advice for people after an SLR... don't do it! It becomes addictive and expensive!!

Damn, HSM and OS, one thing you Nikoners get that others don't. It's a stellar lens from what I've read, afraid its a never ending cycle of lens lust..

I was looking at the Nikon 18-200VR but from Honk Kong it was still near £400... The sigma came in at £230 delivered. Its a heavy beast (600g) but feels very solid and well built. Has zoom lock too which is a bonus at the Nikon has quite bad lens creep.
Upside... ap starts at 3.5.... downside.. it goes to 6.3. But for what I am using it for, thats fine for me.

I think next up is the 50mm as its cheap, and manual focus will be fun! The 10-20 on the other hand is the same price as the 18-200...

More saving up!!

Thats great value! No HSM on the Canon version, I gotta wait for the 18-125 OS HSM coming out soon for my travel choice.

Can't go wrong with the 50mm, f/1.8 its good learning and good fun. Nikon should really release an AF-S 50 f/1.8 for a few more quid.

^^ true about the AF-S 50, would do very well I think.

The seller even sent me a free UV filter.... which is going in the bin as the quality of it is... well... crap!

D

dick

omg i want that canon to have hsm! will they bring one out?

not buying any lenses that arent hsm apart from the 50. ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just been trying a few indoor shots with the OS on and off, better than i thought it would be TBH!!

B

Brown.

I just got my walkabout lens too.... Gotta love Image Stabalization :)

29022008741_2.jpg

29022008745.jpg

B

Brown.

Get em up :D

i went for the 70- 300 Apo Macro...love it....bargin price too :D

05032008751.jpg

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i've been looking at these. Interested to see some pics. think its just out of my price range, so i'll have to settle for the sigma 70-300 APO for now. Wait till you get the 10-20 on the d40, looks well weird.

Wait till you get the 10-20 on the d40, looks well weird.

10-20 looks quite beefy on my D50 as well, but this really takes the piss...

Nikon D50 + Nikon 1.4x TC + Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF-S

151821457_Wb9fj-M.jpg

and in wet-weather mode...

151821463_2Ptnb-M.jpg

I need a battery grip badly, the balance is horrific!

Whats the quality like with the 1.4TC?

Can't see any difference, to be honest. Auto-focus is still instant as well. I imagine the 2.0x may degrade quality a bit more, but the 1.4 is a tiny piece of glass that doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect. Works brilliantly on my 300mm f4 as well.

Didn't perform as well as I expected, I may have got a bad copy but in lower light it did struggle to produce anything half decent. Much prefer the 18-200 Nikon, its taken some cracking shots so far. Soon to be joined by a secondary lens! Then thats it for me for a while!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I really need to get the SLR out again! LOL!, just been busy wi the flat it's taken a back seat atm.

Megane Mk4
I was thinking of buying the Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro (Nikon AF) Lens as it covers the full zoom of what I want from a lens.

Did you consider that before purchase JJ! ??