ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New walkabout lens!!!

Andi-b, I really wanted a lens with VR, especially for long focal lengths, not sure if sigma actually do a 28-300 with HSM either.

Tigger, the 18-55 + 55-200 VR is an excellent and much cheaper option than the 18-200 VR. But the all round versatility and image quality of the 18-200 is what made me go for it, after shooting at the horses I found that changing lenses would be an issue as some of my shots were around 30mm and some at 200mm and I would have missed a lot of shots due to lens change.

If I was in a situation where I had the time to swap lenses I may have kept my initial 2 lens set up.

Although I am now the owner of a nifty 50, which will give my plenty of manual focus practice :)

D

dick

i doubt it will andi-b.

thats 42-450 equivalent.

it might be, but to get a full body shot in at 42mm you gotta be a damn sight further away than at 27mm. (18mm on lens)

or car shows etc, have to be pretty car away to getthe whole thing in.
and if your'e going on hols, forget taking a photgraph of the sunset.
but as u say, depends what u like to photograph!

Last edited by a moderator:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
I seen the 55-200mm Nikon lens before I heard of the 18-200 version.
Think I'll get it to see how it goes :)

You dare to scare me with the price of the nifty 50? ;)
See some great shots on here with it

Nifty 50 will not autofocus on D40, but I bought it for manual focusing and just to have some fun with it - £70

"Navy" N17 TWO
Sounds good, I wouldn't mind trying the manual focus on it either, as said it can produce some quality snaps and like yourself I'm learning everytime I use the D40 - so addictive!

Where sells the nifty 50 with a decent pricetag?

Just do a search on ebay - quite a few on there!

Its only £79.99 at Jessops too. I was going to go for the Sigma 30mm HSM but its over £200, and for a lens that I won't use that much is was overkill!!

Tangoed Works
big peaches- how do you find the 17-85, its the exact one im looking to pick up for my camera.

Tangoed Works
^^ yeah i know the one mate, just wondering how you found it as Ive notice that your pretty much up to speed when it comes to advance photography... im a newbie to all this and my current lens does not have enough wide capabilites as its a 38-76mm.

BTW i have an eos 350d

B

Brown.

oh sorry i miss read...... well these images are simply point and shoot...non have been set up ie metered correctly and not exposed to the best of my ability...they are simply candid shots...you decide....

_MG_7928.jpg

_MG_7914.gif

_MG_7911.gif

_MG_7977.jpg

_MG_7975.jpg

_MG_7685.jpg

_MG_7671.jpg

Megane Mk4
What price was it Andi?
Andi-b, I really wanted a lens with VR, especially for long focal lengths, not sure if sigma actually do a 28-300 with HSM either.

Tigger, the 18-55 + 55-200 VR is an excellent and much cheaper option than the 18-200 VR. But the all round versatility and image quality of the 18-200 is what made me go for it, after shooting at the horses I found that changing lenses would be an issue as some of my shots were around 30mm and some at 200mm and I would have missed a lot of shots due to lens change.

If I was in a situation where I had the time to swap lenses I may have kept my initial 2 lens set up.

Although I am now the owner of a nifty 50, which will give my plenty of manual focus practice :)
£179.99 on the Jessops.com website atm - http://www.jessops.com/Store/s32748/0/Lenses/Sigma/28-300mm-f-and-35-63-DG-Macro-(Nikon-AF)/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=2&CatId=143&ManIds=1462,1518,&SortBy=SkuOfferingPriceASC&IsInStockOnly=False&comp=n
Ok, I'll appologise now, the one on the link above doesn't have VR, but for the price and mm comparision I thought of a cheaper alternative. :eek:

B

Brown.

Cheers, i get to do naughty things to her too :D.....i have pics of that too ...bidding starts at 10 g's

My 50mm arrived today! Yay! Manual focus is easier than I thought! Will go do some tests over the weekend. Its a tiny little lens!

the old split focus sytem was better for me if both sides were equally out of focus i knew i was on to a winner lol

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
My 50mm arrived today! Yay! Manual focus is easier than I thought! Will go do some tests over the weekend. Its a tiny little lens!

its surprisingly easy if you take your time, but can be a real pain!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol i broke my 50mm ages ago never got round to getting another might pick one up this weekend... it looks stupid on my camera though...

also if you think manualfocus is hard try doing it on a medium format holding it by hand and focusing through a waist level view finder lol...