ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newb here

1.2 Clio Sport
Hi there new to the forum and the car scene! I'm 18 and just bought my first car, a 2000 Renault Clio Sport 1.2. I think its the 8 valve version which I guess is both good and bad. If some one could explain the ''172 182'' thing to me that'd be awesome. Any tips or simple, cheap mods to do? I am mechanically minded having riding motorcycles and done all the maintenance myself. However must be cheap as I have to pay for insurance.
20150402_153752.jpg

Anyway here is a pic of the car. I'll post some more later when I get a chance to take some. It has about 120k miles on the clock, with the timing belt, brakes, oil and filter just done. All it needs is one tire and the passenger side headlight restored/replaced as it is all cloudy and yellowed.
Thanks

172 ph1
Welcome! Looking at your car i wouldnt do anymore to it other than sorting your headlight out (you have 172 sport headlight fitted) and keeping up with the maintenance and cleaning it.
I would probably lose the spoiler on the back too.
The 182 is a ph2 but there is a 172 also available in the ph2 aswell as ph1.

1.2 Clio Sport
It's a 1.2 not a 2.0. Unless you mean something else...
Yeah I plan on loosing the spoiler, don't think I need that extra downforce :p
Maintenance takes priority

172 ph1
Just edited my post!
Do a search on the forum or wikipedia etc for more info on the 172/182 Sport model.

audi s5 clio172 rs
lower the car you can get a full set of springs for around £80 off ebay just done this to my sons 1.2 and looks great he has standard clio 172 wheels fitted running 195/45/16 tyres and lowerd 40mm front and rear

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Welcome to the forum mate!

Insurance will cain you on any mods at the minute so just enjoy the freedom of being able to drive, and more importantly get used to driving!

1.2 Clio Sport
Thanks guys! Yea insurance is expensive enough as is 😧 Not planning on lowering it as, as far as I'm aware this makes it stiffer? And the roads around me are absolutely awful so it's better off at standard height or I'd shred the underneath.
Plan on doing small mods that will help ie the washer jets, better lights etc.
Love the freedom of my own car after being under the parents for the last year.
It took about 10 minutes to figure out how to get it into reverse 😂 Never come across that before.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
A French special, the lift to reverse! Learn the car before you modify it.

If you're talking headlights, xenons. If you sign up for membership on here you get access to the cars/parts for sale and they come up quite frequently and as it's from members of the club you can 9/10 times grab yourself a bargain you know you can trust!