ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie 172 owner

Ph1 172 & Audi S4
Hi
A quick introduction i've just recently brought a Ph 1 172.

I'm Ade, had all manner of cars over the years ranging from Vauxhalls, Ford RS's, VW GTI's and Audi's. Never had anything french though! :)

My current car is a 350 bhp 1998 Audi S4 2.7 Twin turbo but was on the hunt for a more nimble cheaper car to run that would make me smile still. I was looking at Mk2 Golf Gti's but then i was offered a slightly rough round the edges Ph 1 172 from my mate at extremely cheap money.

Basically the car was brought by my mate in March 2009 with 60k on the clock, i completed a full service on it for him and then 2 months later the gearbox blew and it required a new gearbox, clutch, flywheel and crank sensor. The car still wouldnt run after though and this was traced to a faulty ECU this was then fitted. The car then sat on a mates farm until April of this year unloved and neglected. Whilst being parked up some scrotes tried to break into it through the boot and the drivers side wing has been cracked. He had it recovered back to his to do something with it but 2 months later it was sat in his garage This is where i then offered to buy it from him.

After being recovered back to his in April looked tired, damaged and covered in 2 years worth of dirt!

4f2fd878.jpg

I had the car recovered last week back to my house and all ive done so far is clean it and gone over the car to see what needs doing so i can start using it!
It does look 100% nicer and a little less unloved now though!

f85213f3.jpg

6f5209ea.jpg

Jobs to do are :

Oil Change
New pair of front springs as the N/S side has snapped (Its appears this is a common problem!)
Drivers side top engine mount
Discs and pads front and rear
Cambelt change

The car has got cliosport stickers in the rear window so if anyone knows any history of it let me know!

Cheers

Ade

Last edited:
  Ph1 172 & Audi S4
will be a nice example when its running again

I'm hoping so!
have driven it very gingerly to the end of the road and back and it seems to pull quite well with no obvious signs of anything engine wise being at fault!
Obvioulsy need to do the engine mount, and springs before even attempting to drive it any where really!