ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie, hello and a couple of questions!

Recaro + Cupped 182
Hello!

Im hoping to get a Clio 182 shortly, but have a couple of questions about them,

Whats the MPG like in the real world when they're on the motorway/being booted/Through town?

Do they rattle and squeak alot inside with age? (this is probably the decider as my '02 Corsa is really bad for this!)

What are there common faults?

Is there any way to spot a bad second hand one?

Cheers!

welcome fella to cliosport ...............i'd recommend you test drive a few to get the feel of each one , looking at 28-35 mpg i supposse and higher on motorway , obvious the newer the better as the warrenty will cover the probs out , lots of rattles ........hehe

R35 GTR
try and buy end of the line models, so you know they probably havent been used as demonstrators all their life.

get a 172 53/04 plate with all the features a 182 has, plus they are cheaper.

Recaro + Cupped 182
Cheers for the warm welcome!

the ones ive driven havent been to rattly!
on my current car its the electric windows and the suspension cause the horrible noises!

Where do the rattles come from in the clios?

Brooko said:
Cheers for the warm welcome!

the ones ive driven havent been to rattly!
on my current car its the electric windows and the suspension cause the horrible noises!

Where do the rattles come from in the clios?

there aint many rattles really .............dashboard , glove box can be dodgy sometimes .
but on the main , age does it for most cars .

Recaro + Cupped 182
guess thats true for any car! is there alot of difference between th 172 and 182 in performance? love the ice berg silver 172's

Brooko said:
guess thats true for any car! is there alot of difference between th 172 and 182 in performance? love the ice berg silver 172's

there's 10 bhp init , the exhaust manifold giving the extra bit...........different styling really as looks goes but on the whole , the same beast

Recaro + Cupped 182
Cheers for your help guys! any thing else i should be looking for in these cars?

creature comforts , aircon , replaced by climate control ............the 182 comes with cup packs , sportier looks and suspension set up , errr better wheels .................more mullar

R35 GTR
exhaust rattle a just over 4000 revs = knackered centre section. Just test that by sitting in car and move through the rev range.

at around 2k the engine cover can vibrate.

I have a nasty vibration when accelerating hard, think it's some wires near glovebox.

Knocking sound in wet in first gear seems to be "normal" mostly blamed on axle tramp.

If you have a sub banging away, there are wires behind the headlining above sunvisors that vibrate.

Loads of rattles, but all can be rectified, it just takes time.lol. I find a new one every time i get rid of one.

Some cars can be faster than other due to the casting quality of the inlet manifold, as the parts will then be poorly matched.

Recaro + Cupped 182
Sweet, thanks again for your help! Im guna try and get a 182, but ill have a good look for late 172 and see what the crack is!

Cheers again!

Brooko said:
Sweet, thanks again for your help! Im guna try and get a 182, but ill have a good look for late 172 and see what the crack is!

Cheers again!

money dependant ..................buy the trophy ;) best of both worlds , creature comforts and performance imo

R35 GTR
kullycliosport said:
money dependant ..................buy the trophy ;) best of both worlds , creature comforts and performance imo

over rated imo, if all you want is a good cheap drive. 172 ff or cup. Even cheaper and probably quicker is 172 ph1.

Dave3141 said:
over rated imo, if all you want is a good cheap drive. 172 ff or cup. Even cheaper and probably quicker is 172 ph1.

should be able to get a trophy alot cheaper now the 197 poo moblie was released

RB 200 Cup!
kullycliosport said:
should be able to get a trophy alot cheaper now the 197 poo moblie was released

i was thinking this - was gonna wait a bit save some m oney then hopefully get one at a good price

btw brooko welcome to CS!!!

C

Cupster

Welcome mate. Just drive one and you seriously won't care about rattles my friend.

I had a 172 cup then stupidly sold it for a Golf V6 4Motion. Sold the golf and got another cup. Never looked back. Life is boring without rattles, lol

I saw 42 mpg on the motorway at the weekend.

No more clio's for me!
kullycliosport said:
looking at 28-35 mpg

If you drive it like you stole it...hey Kully? lol

See 39-42 in mine on the m/way cruising at 85+, i mean 70 officer, depending on what petrol of course! ;)

dannyboy172 said:
If you drive it like you stole it...hey Kully? lol

See 39-42 in mine on the m/way cruising at 85+, i mean 70 officer, depending on what petrol of course! ;)

hehe.....................defo officer sir..mine just poo on its own , around the town low as 25 mpg , got to resist putting my foot down ???

cDc

182 Arctic Blue
Welcome :) I see around 30mpg give or take, under 25 if pushing. You will get rattles that is something you will have to learn to live with with the clio im afraid! (Along with squealing power steering and noisy indicators...). Mine seems to do it from the glovebox area... (my old 1.2 used to do this too!)

But the fun you will have in the car more than makes up for it (any rattles dissappear between 5-7000 rpm! ;)). As with any car of this nature i would check the alloys for serious kerbing, tyres for wear and bodywork for signs of the car having had a hard life) and make sure its been serviced as needed.