ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie in need of help

Clio197
Hi guys I'm new on here
Just brought a 197 thought I'd have a little fun with it
I wanna no more bout the car so I'd thought I'd right up on here n see wa I get bck
I'm lookin on goin bit mad with it Cnt stand my pals driving there works fiesta st's lool
Ay advice on how to make it fun n fast ?

Cheers

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
The 197 is already a good car straight out the factory, and any amount of money you spend on it is probably wasted. I recommend you book yourself a trackday and some driving tuition, and maybe you'll get an opportunity to get the most from your new purchase.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
If you've bought it to make it go faster then I'm afraid you've bought the wrong type of car. You're going to need mega money to make it significantly faster. They were built as great handling all-rounders, not dragstrip queens.

Clio197
I dnt wa t it to b drag strip fast as I no that's ridiculous n impossible I jus wanna have some fun with it I got it for cheap so spending on it is not a problem as it will be for fun and jus have a lil more edge were would u recommend going or who to see about upgrades and performance packs

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I had KW v1 coilovers on mine and I really rated them.
4510759241_3de5c123c1_z.jpg

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I sold mine years ago, and despite the remap and filter it was probably running more or less standard power. I fitted the coilovers and a rollcage and that was about it really.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
be lucky to gain a couple of bhp from a remap, not enough to make it worth doing as Ste mentioned above.

best thing you can do with them is enjoy them for what they are, keep it on sticky rubber and enjoy!

BG Clio 182
I dnt wa t it to b drag strip fast as I no that's ridiculous n impossible I jus wanna have some fun with it I got it for cheap so spending on it is not a problem as it will be for fun and jus have a lil more edge were would u recommend going or who to see about upgrades and performance packs
Get an induction kit, lower it and get some solid engine mounts. Get a loudish exhaust and some cooksport springs or coil overs.

This will make the car FEEL faster and probably give you a few bhp. This adds to the feel and essence and experience of the car and changes how you feel the power delivery making it feel more responsive and more savage. You won't out drag a focus ST ever without turbo in it or putting a megane engine in it, which can be done for big bucks bit will get you 325+ bhp.

Fiesta St's (old ones) it'll piss allover anyway as they only have about 150bhp iirc and the new one well I've heard they're as quick anyway XD all but a cats knacker in it. If your friends are pissing you off tell them to get down some back roads you all know and your car will start to make a hell of a lot of sense to you believe me, especially with some expensive tires!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Steve @sc autos is getting good results with an exhaust upgrade and remap.. Speak to him..

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
As mentioned before, I'd probably just get good suspension and tyres, maybe an induction kit and exhaust for a bit more noise too. Not worth spending money on remaps etc really because the gains are hardly noticeable!

albi 197
When I had mine a few years back I got Fred to fit me some kw v1's, ds2500 pads, brembo hc's, hel lines and a yozza exhaust.
Was hilarious to drive. Cornering speeds were immense and it sounded great.

I bought some catcams off another member on clio197.net but never actually got round to fitting and mapping the car. With an exhaust, cams and a remap you might get 200bhp but you're not going to get much change from £1500 I suspect.

Other than that maybe strip bits of the interior if you can live without creature comforts.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
When I had mine a few years back I got Fred to fit me some kw v1's, ds2500 pads, brembo hc's, hel lines and a yozza exhaust.
Was hilarious to drive. Cornering speeds were immense and it sounded great.

I bought some catcams off another member on clio197.net but never actually got round to fitting and mapping the car. With an exhaust, cams and a remap you might get 200bhp but you're not going to get much change from £1500 I suspect.

Other than that maybe strip bits of the interior if you can live without creature comforts.

I agree with stripping the interior. The easiest / cheapest way to make any clio faster is to lose weight from it.

Lastly, let's hold back from the language commentary chaps. As Liam said, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Else I'll start dishing points out.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
And, do points make prizes? If so, I will choose to have my Turinis refurbished please.
Seriously, I have had great service for Maxxis Victa tyres, economically priced yet really grippy and hold up well in Autosolos ,(which are really hard on front tyres)