ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie in need of some help with discs/calipers

Clio 172 Sport
Hi all,
I picked up my first Clio yesterday (2002 172 Sport), bit of a banger but just using it for the track and a little bit of road use. Anyway.. the lad who i brought it from has worn the pads all the way down and half way through the metal !!! suprising thing is it passed is MOT only a couple of weeks ago along with a few other faults.... (something not quite right... i sense a bit of a dodge certificate....).

So ive come to change the pads and discs but im confused to the set up. they look like a standard caliper but i ran a tape across the disc and they appear to be a 310mm disc. Reading on here standard discs are 280mm? From what i can see there are no spacers etc to push the standard caliper out to accomodate the larger disc.

This is probably a stupid question but here it is anyway, is it possible to put a 310mm disc in a standard set up (i wouldnt think it is) and can i simply put back a 280mm disc (i would have thought it was to small).

Reading peoples opinions on here i think id be looking to go for the Brembo HC discs with the RC6 pads.

from what i can see, currently on the car is:
WP Pro 310mm discs
Renault B257 54 Calipers

is the caliper a standard 172 caliper?
can i put on a 280mm disc?
i have no issues putting another set of WP Pro`s on but not sure where is best to buy

Please be nice im no mechanic but have no problem using a spanner.

Thanks,

Dave

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
In short, no, you can't fit a 310mm disc on standard calipers. Tbh I don't even know if you can fit that under 16" wheels!

Got any pictures of what you're seeing? People will be able to tell you straight away if it's a normal setup with some pics.

Clio 172 Sport
In short, no, you can't fit a 310mm disc on standard calipers. Tbh I don't even know if you can fit that under 16" wheels!

Got any pictures of what you're seeing? People will be able to tell you straight away if it's a normal setup with some pics.

Some pictures attached of what's in the car at the moment like I say they are pretty messed up.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The caliper itself looks standard but the carriers look different to me. Its as if someone's used a carrier for a larger setup to mount the caliper out further and accommodate the bigger disc if that makes sense.

This is how it looks on my ph1 172 and I'm 99% sure the setup is the same across all 172/182's

uploadfromtaptalk1428837619844.jpg

Clio 172 Sport
The caliper itself looks standard but the carriers look different to me. Its as if someone's used a carrier for a larger setup to mount the caliper out further and accommodate the bigger disc if that makes sense.

This is how it looks on my ph1 172 and I'm 99% sure the setup is the same across all 172/182's

View attachment 125747

Thanks, I see what you mean they do look different. Are the standard carriers easy/cheap to get hold of? eBay?

Track 172 Cup
I'm near Liverpool but if you want too cover postage I can throw them in a box and send them tomorrow (if I can find them that is lol) they aren't very big so can't see them being much too post. If you get stuck let me know and I'll have a look anyway too see if I have them.

Clio 172 Sport
I'm near Liverpool but if you want too cover postage I can throw them in a box and send them tomorrow (if I can find them that is lol) they aren't very big so can't see them being much too post. If you get stuck let me know and I'll have a look anyway too see if I have them.

If you can find them then yes please have no issue covering postage and some beer money. I'm still trying to work this forum out so haven't found how to send private messages... When I work it out I'll send my details if that's ok?

Track 172 Cup
Yeah just click on my name should be able to start a conversation that way. Not sure if you have too be a member which is well worth it (only cost about £10) as you get access top guides and the for sale section.