ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie looking to get clio 182

none :(
Hi all, I be Marko, I'm from the NorthEast England and currently own a MGTF160 but havent put it in the 'drives' bit as its off the road with a cooked engine. Im in the process of rejecting it as its spent most its time since I got it earlier this year in the garage.

The dealer I got it from have agreed to exchange it for something else they have in there range, the first choice being a Clio 172/182. I have a few questions that I'll hopefully find the answers to on here, if not I'll be sure to ask!

I run my own performance car club and work as an engineer in industrial automation. Ive quite a good background when it comes to cars and technical advice so if anyone wants my advice feel free to ask :)

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
And yet you bought an MG TF?!

182 with cup packs is what I bought - good choice in my experience. Had no problems with it at all, and it is quick and handles well. Got all the toys on as well.

Shame you can't just buy one privately as mine is about to be advertised on here at 5295 with full service history, 43k miles, totally standard spec, long mot and tax until Jan '09.

I was unfortunately mis sold the TF hence the dealer are being very cooperative with me, they know I could take them to court and that would cost them a lot more than a easy settlement.

I have the choice of 4 clios at the moment, there all IMO overpriced horrifically tho.

04 172 in black with 66k on the clock, £5495
05 182 cup in orange with 40k on the clock, £6495
04 182 in black with with 37k on the clock, £6795
04 182 in blue with 47k on the clock, £6494

I dont have a preference as to which model I get but would expect all them to be reduced by about 1k before I would consider them reasonably priced, they are silly expensive for what they are at the moment!

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
The closest one to mine is the bottom one - mine is arctic blue, only mine is lower mileage and only 5300. When I put my advert up maybe you should show them to negotiate? Either that or see if you can get your money back if you are in a strong position with them mis-selling?

Out of all of them I'd say the 172 is the most overpriced...if you have to go for one of the 182's - the cup is hire car spec inside, and not much quicker then a non-up - it's got to come down to one of the bottom 182's if it was me - probably the black one as 10k less on the clock for only a few hundred pounds more.

cheers for that, I test drove a blue 182 earlier today and was very impressed with it, not at all like my old 1.2 MTV I had 6 years ago!

I would ideally like a refund or at least part refund but Suspect I will be lucky to get 5k from them which could well put the 182's out of the price range, it depends how willing they are to avoid court costs :)

Is there a comparison on here between 172 and 182? ie, inside shots, spec etc? From what I can see they added 10ps and give it some shiny exhausts? Surely there was more than that?!

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Not much difference, except if you get a 182 with cup packs it's lower and has better steering geometry - plus the exhausts and the extra power you mention. The extra power really doesn't make much difference.

thanks for that joe, I suspected as much!

I dont want a cup model as I do a lot of motorway travelling with work so would prefer the more comfortable option, call me boring if you want :D

At the moment I am swaying towards a 172 which I would most likely remove the sport badges and leave it looking like a normal clio. the less attention the better and the 182's seem to attract the wrong type of attention, even test driving one today I had some idiots in a saxo right up behind me revving away. I dont want that attention!

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
get a 182 with Both cup packs :D Or even better get the dealer to source you a trophy!

NEED V6!
I've got a liquid yellow wanting to get rid of before Feb 09 it mint condition 62,438k miles, paint is still brillant has a scorpian exhaust and other addictional extras front splitter, eibach springs for great stability, and brembo brakes at the front for brillant stopping power, I will sell before feb what ever the price aslong as it's not stupid.

Looking for around the 6k mark for it.
6 months tax 8 months mot
and it needs new front tyres but i'll replace them.

john
th_Picture185.jpg
MattsPictures132.jpg

MattsPictures129.jpg

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I'd get the 182 over the 172, unless you want a 172 cup which is marginally quicker - although from what you've said a car with thinner glass, cloth seats, no aircon, and no toys at all is prob not what you want. The 172 they're offering you is not good value - the 182's are prob better for the price.

Cheers again for the suggestions.

I think the cup models are not what I am after and the 182 FF? would be the best option however given the prices it is less likely we will reach a settleent on a 182 so is more likely that they will offer me the 172. I don't want to put any extra cash towards the car if I don't have to.

Can you advise me as to what would be a reasonable price for the cars I listed above? I personally feel about 1k could be knocked off each one which MIGHT put the 182's within reach :)

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Well a 182 with around 43k on the clock like mine is going for around 5300/5500 as far as I can see....the 172 prob should be about 4500 tops I'd have thought, but think there are cheaper ones around.

cheers, so as i suspected there over priced by about a grand. probably a marketing ploy to make you think your getting a good deal on them. pah. I look forward to speaking with the garage manager today, he could well be in to make a loss :D

Caterham 270R
All the best with what ever you choose..

I have a 182 with cup packs , do alot of motorway driving and its awsome..

true statement about those saxo idiots whats all that about. there must be 100 of them in Bath where i live always driving 1 inch from your bumper.. Why oh why :)

Does the 172 attract as much attention as the 182? I mean, it looks more subtle but I think I prefer the look of the 182 :s

I have found a number of examples on autotrader that I would be happy with but it all comes down to what the dealership are willing to offer me and how keen they are to avoid a court claim!

Hopefully we can settle on a low mileage 182FF in black or blue :D

Does the

well the garage have offered me a pityful amount for my TF so I am going to be hard pushed to get a 172 never mind a 182 :(

theres a 172 up the road to me for 3600 but that seems very cheap? any ideas?